Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1423 1424 [1425] 1426 1427 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060251 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21360 on: March 01, 2015, 01:47:41 am »

The last one gets my vote simply because it seems the least derivative and the mecha aren't piloted.   Also, civics with arms and legs rubs me the wrong way... and driving up the sides of buildings is not parkour.

I don't really get the mecha thing, I think.   

Why can't more people copy patlabor and GitS mecha?~

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21361 on: March 01, 2015, 01:57:15 am »

Y'all have got no super robot spirit :V

In all seriousness I agree that #1's ascthetics is horrible though. And to be honest most of these are lacking enough information to feel as if we know what's suppose to make them stand out. #3 looks like it has potential but the ascthetics suck and the chuuni protagonist sounds like it could get old real fast.

I think I'm most interested in the last two. They don't use CGI mecha, #4 looks like it's ripe for fun shenanigans with the cast and has some nice ZOE inspired designs even if it does seem pretty generic in plot concept, and #5 seems the most unique and has good designs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:35:23 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21362 on: March 01, 2015, 02:31:41 am »

I'm just going to send this out through most threads as general advice.
To block anyone, go to your own profile, mouse over modify profile, click on the Buddies/Ignore list, then type in the exact name of the person you want blocked.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21363 on: March 01, 2015, 03:08:52 am »

No good, this creep has been posting the same images repeatedly over the last few days. He just makes another account each time Toady bans him. Report and move on, because you'd have to keep blocking new accounts.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21364 on: March 01, 2015, 03:12:21 am »

It's just so people will know in the future.
Plus, blocking doesn't take that long.
Alan help.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21365 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:43 pm »

I've started watching Chuunibyou and I still can't figure out if it's an anime about LARPers.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21366 on: March 01, 2015, 08:45:18 pm »

The entire concept of the show is in the definition of "chuunibyo", which translates as 2nd year disease. It's referring to second year of middle school, or 14 year olds. Chuunibyo refers to delusional teens who have one of a number of stupid beliefs or act dumb while trying to be cool.

The most popular ones to adapt to anime (for obvious reasons) are the ones who think they have magical powers, but apparently they're not the only people that come under the Chuuni label in Japan. e.g. others pretend to be yanki even though they're wimps ("yanki" stems from Japanese biker gangs of the early 1970's, because they emulated American 1950's greaser hair styles and leather jackets. it later spread to mean any delinquent). There are definitely western equivalents to this phenomena: teen goth vampires, trenchcoat mafia types, white kids trying to be gangsta rappers.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:47:33 pm by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21367 on: March 01, 2015, 08:53:19 pm »

The entire concept of the show is in the definition of "chuunibyo", which translates as 2nd year disease. It's referring to second year of middle school, or 14 year olds. Chuunibyo refers to delusional teens who have one of a number of stupid beliefs or act dumb while trying to be cool.
Can we please stop bringing that up I already hate past-me enough already without bringing back repressed memories.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21368 on: March 01, 2015, 08:54:15 pm »

Can we please stop bringing that up I already hate past-me enough already without bringing back repressed memories.
No.
You are gonna suffer with me.
Alan help.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21369 on: March 01, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-02-28/mechatsuku-contest-finalist-videos-preview-5-potential-mecha-anime/.85469
Bleeeh. First was cars with arms and legs, which, like. No. Just... no. The animation almost approached dynamic and bouncing off rooftops could be amusing, but. Cars with legs. No. Sweet zeus those things looked godawful.

Second was almost interesting -- the mechs vaguely bug look approached appealing... and then they started moving and fighting it was just kinda'... I'unno, it felt almost lazy. Iffy CGI et al. Swords of Greater Compensation +3 and whatnot, no thanks.

Third... the tentacley thing was kinda' appealing, design wise. Everything else was kinda' shite. ... especially characters and that freaking backwards arm blade thing I've basically never seen used in a way that didn't look terrible.

Forth arguably had the best mecha design, imo, but the apparent primary machine committed the heretical mistake of having no feet. You can't have a proper mecha if it doesn't have feet. Preferably nice and bulky ones. Characters also looked kinda' eh.

Fifth... almost? It felt like it tried harder than the first three, but the mech design still looked kinda' bad and the fight choreography I saw looked just lackluster -- especially the bit where the machine with the maces apparently cut through something.

Jimmies unrustled :(
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21370 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:19 pm »

We've all been there. Share the hate.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21371 on: March 01, 2015, 09:24:16 pm »

Forth arguably had the best mecha design, imo, but the apparent primary machine committed the heretical mistake of having no feet. You can't have a proper mecha if it doesn't have feet. Preferably nice and bulky ones. Characters also looked kinda' eh.

Zone of the Enders would like to have a word with you :V
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21372 on: March 01, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »

1st: Eh. Yawn. Thunderthigh robot streetracing with almost painfully stereotypical characters.

2nd: Somebody watched Evangelion and Aquarion Genesis, then declared "I have a compelling and completely original idea!"

3rd: I nope'd by the time I finished reading the description. All it has going for it is the best visuals thusfar.

4th: Okay, the main character's haircut is really cute. Mechs all look the same. Overall best so far, but it looks like they waffled too much when they were deciding how Super Robot to make it.

5th: It gets points just for the name, haha. So it's sort of like a mix of Transformers Bolos set after the extinction of humanity? This actually sounds pretty cool. The designs are pretty beautifully campy, too. This one has my vote as the best of the five.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21373 on: March 01, 2015, 09:28:50 pm »

Zone of the Enders would like to have a word with you :V
It can talk to the oversized heat axe I've strapped to my mecha crotch.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21374 on: March 01, 2015, 09:34:24 pm »

Second was almost interesting -- the mechs vaguely bug look approached appealing... and then they started moving and fighting it was just kinda'... I'unno, it felt almost lazy. Iffy CGI et al. Swords of Greater Compensation +3 and whatnot, no thanks.

Third... the tentacley thing was kinda' appealing, design wise. Everything else was kinda' shite. ... especially characters and that freaking backwards arm blade thing I've basically never seen used in a way that didn't look terrible.
I watched a little of these two, and can confirm that the first's CGI animation was lazy and awkward. It kind of reminded me of RWBY's characters-not-connected-to-environment issues.

Conversely, I thought everything looked neat in the other one, not just the tentacles. Well, all the giant engines of destruction, anyway.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 1423 1424 [1425] 1426 1427 ... 2193