Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 [1408] 1409 1410 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066684 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21105 on: February 04, 2015, 06:28:45 am »

Must...resist....OOC bait...
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21106 on: February 04, 2015, 09:27:03 am »

I'm not entirely inclined to complain about that, though. Pretty much every poor-to-terrible series with the foundation for an interesting world ignored in favor of the trite, predictable plot and mold-stamped characters has resulted in at least a couple really good stories being written, more in the case of the ones that hit a peak of popularity (ZnT, Naruto, SAO, &c.). No studio can make something so terrible that a competent third party can't spin it to be interesting.

Yeah, it's unhealthy for the medium, and of course Sturgeon's Revelation applies to the derivative material as much as anything else, but... eh. Hell, it's a good reminder that 90% of anime is also shit. This is not new. Back in the SF Golden Age, where Sturgeon's delightful little quip came from, the vast majority of pulp magazines and dime novels were also unreadable shit, but that didn't stop the good stuff from propelling the genre to where it is today (which is: still mostly shit, just different flavors).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21107 on: February 04, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »

I'm not entirely inclined to complain about that, though. Pretty much every poor-to-terrible series with the foundation for an interesting world ignored in favor of the trite, predictable plot and mold-stamped characters has resulted in at least a couple really good stories being written, more in the case of the ones that hit a peak of popularity (ZnT, Naruto, SAO, &c.). No studio can make something so terrible that a competent third party can't spin it to be interesting.

Yeah, it's unhealthy for the medium, and of course Sturgeon's Revelation applies to the derivative material as much as anything else, but... eh. Hell, it's a good reminder that 90% of anime is also shit. This is not new. Back in the SF Golden Age, where Sturgeon's delightful little quip came from, the vast majority of pulp magazines and dime novels were also unreadable shit, but that didn't stop the good stuff from propelling the genre to where it is today (which is: still mostly shit, just different flavors).

I won't debate any of that, but I'm still going to grumble about it anyway because I wish people took more chances. I would rather fail spectacularly trying to accomplish something with promise than fail moderately trying to write something bland. But then again I'm not doing it for a career, so I can't completely judge others for doing what they need to do to make a living. Not completely, but I will a bit.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21108 on: February 04, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »

Course that's also a side effect of the producers. I'd be willing to bet that there are tons of totally original, good stories out there (in books, manga, anime, you name it) that just don't get published/produced simply because the producers/publishers aren't willing to take a chance on crazy new ideas when the tried and true ones already sell so well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21109 on: February 04, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »

You need budget, talent, or outright insanity if you want to fail spectacularly and usually you need two of the three.  Most anime don't have much budget to begin with and can't afford talent.  You don't really need good writers to cut apart LN's or manga and put together infodump episodes and it's far safer to make anime for a known fanbase.  Most projects seem to take themselves too seriously to be wacky and unpredictable for no reason, like Gainax and TRIGGER can make work.  Because budgets and projects tend to be conservative, there isn't much room for a lot of writers doing original works specifically for anime.

An awful lot of mature shonen and seinen seems very, very focused on gorn (Blood-C, SnK, Terraformars, Tokyo Ghoul, and many others).  Mind, it's not that unflinching depictions of violence can't carry important messages, but it seems like they are mostly used for the shock value.  I think a lot of the appeal is simple joy in the obscene and taboo nature of realistic and absurd violence.  Perhaps the ultra-violent, grey-black morality of these works is a reaction against mary-sue self-insert characters.  In any case, this style of art tends to make me physically uncomfortable, which means there's gotta be lots of artistic merit going on elsewhere for me to bear with it.

Course that's also a side effect of the producers. I'd be willing to bet that there are tons of totally original, good stories out there (in books, manga, anime, you name it) that just don't get published/produced simply because the producers/publishers aren't willing to take a chance on crazy new ideas when the tried and true ones already sell so well.
I'd be willing to bet a gentleman against you there.  I have no facts or arguments, just my opinion that the things that have made the transition from manga and ln to anime have been among the best things those media has to offer, by far.  I also think they're pretty bad, generally.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21110 on: February 04, 2015, 06:44:37 pm »

Watched the latest Gundam Try Fighters

I didn't realize it was a Harem anime... but there you go.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21111 on: February 04, 2015, 06:49:31 pm »

Rez, I'd argue slightly differently. The things that make it to an anime adaption (and then, presumably, to either an official translation or a fansub) are the ones which are most popular (and thus most likely to generate revenue). That's why the shoveled trash is so prevalent, and also why most of the good stuff that makes it through has fairly broad appeal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21112 on: February 04, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21113 on: February 04, 2015, 08:37:42 pm »

So Haruhi

I appreciate the artistic statement made by endless eight, but jesus what episode does it end

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21114 on: February 04, 2015, 08:38:45 pm »

So Haruhi

I appreciate the artistic statement made by endless eight, but jesus what episode does it end
Well take a wild guess how many episodes it lasts.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21115 on: February 04, 2015, 08:40:11 pm »

So Haruhi

Well take a wild guess how many episodes it lasts.

Sorry, what I meant was does it actually have a resolution? Like by the end of the second one I figured out that haruhi wanted to ride Kyon's bone train but does this ever actually happen or

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21116 on: February 04, 2015, 08:41:57 pm »

An adaptation that will live in infamy.

(it's really silly because the title actually refers to the fact it takes place in August, the book doesn't even loop once)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21117 on: February 04, 2015, 08:45:55 pm »

Sorry, what I meant was does it actually have a resolution? Like by the end of the second one I figured out that haruhi wanted to ride Kyon's bone train but does this ever actually happen or
It resolves on the eighth iteration.  As for your second question, the answer is as always no.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21118 on: February 05, 2015, 09:29:16 am »

Robotech rears it's deformed stiched-together-from-three-heads head: "I'm not dead yet!" Robotech live action movie still in development. Originally this thing was to star Toby McGuire as 17 year old pilot Rick Hunter. They're kinda dragging production along a bit slow for that, he'll be about 60 once they shoot it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21119 on: February 05, 2015, 03:10:25 pm »

Ok I know I am the only one interested

But I am really curious to see what scientific advancements Nils Nilson (a clear expy of Jaden Smith) created using that system.

I know Gundam Build Fighters Try skipped over it... but is there any supplementary material that fills it in? For example is there holographic surgery? Tiny nanites?
Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 [1408] 1409 1410 ... 2193