Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065110 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20850 on: January 24, 2015, 03:19:55 pm »

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20851 on: January 24, 2015, 03:51:53 pm »

... what?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20852 on: January 24, 2015, 04:05:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20853 on: January 24, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »

Eh? It... probably would? Isn't that like 9/10ths of what multithreading is, after all?

It would if braincells were like individual drives.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20854 on: January 24, 2015, 05:27:20 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multithreading_%28computer_architecture%29

Multithreading (specifically, technically) means running the same program multiple times on a single core, but in a way that you don't need to load separate copies of the code, so "thread" doesn't mean the same thing as "process" or "core", even though it's often thrown around as a synonym.

Since multithreads technically are running the same code on one core, you could theoretically multi-thread your brain, and people do actually try and do this. Generally, threading slows things down as the core is switching between tasks. But for tasks with lots of latency (waiting on memory and other things to returns values) threading can speed things up, since the extra processing happens during the wait states.

So Inaho could be using parts of his brain while waiting on sensory data to be available, thus increasing overall processing. But in reality, you'd just fuck up doing that. People think they are good at multi-tasking but all clinical research shows that they end up slower than doing things sequentially and make a shitload more errors, because the brain has to keep switching focus and offload/load working memory, which is the exact problem computers have with this (though modern machines have special circuitry to deal with process/thread switching).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:30:09 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20855 on: January 24, 2015, 05:35:59 pm »

To be more specific on what's happening in that screenshot for those who don't fully know he's apparently able to use his own brain cells to give extra processing power to the analytical engine in his cyborg eye.

...though from Reelya's post it sounds like that doesn't make it much better. Then again alternate timeline cyborg tech. Either way too OP considering the character in question.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:39:02 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »

That isn't EXACTLY multithreading.

Your brain does multithread all the time quite efficiently actually.

Multi-tasking though isn't multithreading.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: January 24, 2015, 05:59:32 pm »

you're talking about parralel processing now. the tech term multithreading is for single-core processing which switches back and forth, which is why I was pointing out it's not the appropriate term.  Multi-tasking and multithreading are pretty much synonyms, except a "thread" refers to a very specific type of multi-tasking which is supported on current generation CPUs, it's high inappropriate to use the term to refer to parralel processing in the brain.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:05:20 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20858 on: January 24, 2015, 06:03:48 pm »

To be more specific on what's happening in that screenshot for those who don't fully know he's apparently able to use his own brain cells to give extra processing power to the analytical engine in his cyborg eye.
Yeah, that's... that's definitely mostly-impossible technobabble unless you're dealing with really weird tech, insofar as I'm aware. You can't just... offload machine processing onto an organic brain, or vice versa. Not only would it not really help for most things, they... can't really talk all that well without some sort of interpreter, and that's probably going to eat up more processing than whatever gains might be made.

Chalk it up to magitek and wipe hands of it, ha.

As to the multi-threading, I was talking more about software multi-threading -- which only gets really sexy when you've got multiple cores, imo -- than hardware.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: January 24, 2015, 06:22:26 pm »

I'm still weeks bordering on months behind on all of the shows from this season and last... Ugh. Finals are over, so I've got to get around to that backlog of mine.

But hey, at least I've got cute manga serializations.

Spoiler: Hadi Girl HNNNG (click to show/hide)
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20860 on: January 24, 2015, 06:50:31 pm »

Protip: handbags are piss-poor bulletproof protection so you're advised to find something else to hide behind.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #20861 on: January 24, 2015, 09:10:37 pm »

I'm still weeks bordering on months behind on all of the shows from this season and last... Ugh. Finals are over, so I've got to get around to that backlog of mine.

But hey, at least I've got cute manga serializations.

Spoiler: Hadi Girl HNNNG (click to show/hide)

Is that the name of the manga?

Looks like I've got another thing to add to my enormous 'to read' list...
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20862 on: January 24, 2015, 09:54:00 pm »

Is that the name of the manga?

Looks like I've got another thing to add to my enormous 'to read' list...

Yeah, that's the name.

It's only 13 chapters at the moment, though. Go read!
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #20863 on: January 24, 2015, 11:07:35 pm »

Blehhh, I dislike reading things that only have a few chapters. It makes me sad, because I start to really get into it and then it's over. (It's the reason I don't often read series as they update, rather I leave them to languish for about a quarter to half a year and then read them in large blocks. More enjoyable that way, in my opinion.)

I'll mark it down though.

Also, have you heard of Jitsu wa Watashi wa? It's such an enjoyable read, and I highly recommend it if you haven't heard of it already. (It's kind of a RomCom manga which may not be your thing, but it's extraordinarily enjoyable with quite memorable characters.) Seriously, the entire time I was reading it I just had this big smile on my face. xD
Since I'd been looking at World Embryo recently (oh my god is that manga depressing) it was some well-welcomed light heartedness.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:09:57 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20864 on: January 24, 2015, 11:28:30 pm »

Are you kidding me, I love RomComs! Hadn't heard of that one before, no. Looks fun, though-
Wait do I see WEEKLY UPDATES
OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING
THANK YOU

Just finished watching the WIXOSS finale. Wasn't what I was expecting, wasn't quite as good as season one, and definitely had its flaws, but I am entirely content with that final half of the episode (I was wondering where all the budget had gone).

Also,
Spoiler: WIXOSS (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 2193