Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060031 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19725 on: October 09, 2014, 06:11:57 pm »

but in seriousness I disagree with you but respect your opinion

I'm sure that a Gundam show could handle their Gundam in a matter that I'd enjoy and be happy with. But that show is not the original series, and I haven't seen any other Gundam series, so...

Honestly, the original series is one of the worst about it. Even the ones which revolve around the same sort of special mecha are much less irritating because it's spread out; typically both there will at the very least be a couple suits of that calibre for each notable faction, so it's more "super mechs fight each other with normals filling out the background" and less "super mech stomps on everything".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19726 on: October 09, 2014, 06:34:53 pm »

but in seriousness I disagree with you but respect your opinion

I'm sure that a Gundam show could handle their Gundam in a matter that I'd enjoy and be happy with. But that show is not the original series, and I haven't seen any other Gundam series, so...

Honestly, the original series is one of the worst about it. Even the ones which revolve around the same sort of special mecha are much less irritating because it's spread out; typically both there will at the very least be a couple suits of that calibre for each notable faction, so it's more "super mechs fight each other with normals filling out the background" and less "super mech stomps on everything".

I don't know back in Gundam ordinary mechs actually could challenge the Gundam and while the Gundam was impressive people could fight toe to toe with it in just ordinary mobile suits.

Gundam Seed is actually interesting in that it starts off with "Gundams are not the start all and end all" with the ship actually being more powerful than an ordinary Gundam just less mobile and ends up increasing to ridiculous amounts of power.

Gundam Wing is probably the worst in this sense in that later on the show turns into gundam versus THE ENTIRE ENEMY ARMY!!! (Seriously Dynasty Warriors Gundam very accurately reflects the Wing series).

Mind you Turn-A-Gundam has the most powerful Gundams in the series (even more then the Wing Zero Gundam from Gundam Wing I still refuse exists... because a Gundam that can see into the future and blow up the earth in a single blast is dumb in that series and would represent outright narrative breakdown) but that was intentional, but to me that series was a bit less about battles between factions.

G-Gundam had REALLY strong gundams but it was about 1 on 1 fights tournament style.

SD Gundam Force did indeed have a lot of peons... but the peons were just sucky robots.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19727 on: October 09, 2014, 06:52:36 pm »

G-Gundam gets a pass because it's... well, it's not really gundam, it's gundam's take on super robot shows. Which is definitely okay, but the same rules don't really apply. SD Gundam's pretty much the same sort of genre shift, so... yeah.

... though I find it sorta' weird that you've got a problem with wing zero but not the turn A stuff. Wasn't the butterfly nanononsense capable of planetary scale devastation as well? That is turn A, innit? I guess just because the different sorts of the focus between the shows y'mentioned?

I guess I just want to see something that's somewhere in between Gundam and Battletech in terms of mecha combat. 08th was definitely closer to that paradigm, iirc.

Just... y'know, with mobile suits, since the Zaku has my undying love.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19728 on: October 09, 2014, 06:57:53 pm »

It has to do with how the show is structured.

The Turn-A-Gundam was indeed an incredibly powerful Gundam... but that was the point and the narrative revolved around that.

Gundam Wing is fine for the most part. I actually have no personal issue with it, it is just the gundam series I'd say had it the worst (and lucky for me I never saw the "Broken Gundam" so my vision of it is untainted). Mind you, when I think hard the gundams were sometimes a bit... unusually strong. Yet the narrative doesn't revolve around that, it just hands them powers because it is cooler. The fact that the gundams were so dang powerful wasn't exactly a theme.
-It helps I guess that I like Gundam wing... EXCEPT for its terrible TERRIBLE clip show episodes...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:59:37 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19729 on: October 09, 2014, 07:01:56 pm »

You guys know that not every show is in the same timeline, right?
Spoiler: Big Image (click to show/hide)

Just checking.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19730 on: October 09, 2014, 07:05:40 pm »

Ohh I know

My issue with Broken Gundam is... well in the same show the "dooms day weapon" was absolutely massive!

Then Broken Gundam was built in like... a year... out of toothpicks.

Its a bit too setting breaking for my tastes.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19731 on: October 09, 2014, 07:09:14 pm »

The Wing Zero's actual designs were made decades before the start of the show wasn't it? Once they got the plans they just had to put it together. That's what I heard from summaries at least.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19732 on: October 09, 2014, 07:28:04 pm »

The Wing Zero's actual designs were made decades before the start of the show wasn't it? Once they got the plans they just had to put it together. That's what I heard from summaries at least.

The full story is even more interesting because GWing's gundams actually existed centuries before (or some number) and the Gundam's current designs are based on these ancient designs.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #19733 on: October 09, 2014, 07:31:01 pm »

Parasyte has ....a dub step BGM

I don't know how to feel about this
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19734 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »

Parasyte has ....a dub step BGM

I don't know how to feel about this
THE HORROR

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19735 on: October 09, 2014, 07:44:36 pm »

Which of the (many many) Gundam shows would you folks recommend for a guy who's never seen more than a few episodes, none of which appeared to be related to the others? All I can remember of the episodes I saw (on Toonami) is mooks dying by the hundreds and named characters dying disturbingly frequently. Of course, I had no real context for what was going on so for all I know I was watching series finales or something.

I ask because I seem to be the only person here who knows nothing about Gundam :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19736 on: October 09, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »

I ask because I seem to be the only person here who knows nothing about Gundam :P
*ahem*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19737 on: October 09, 2014, 07:48:06 pm »

You're a bot, darvi. That's not a person.

As for the series, blazes if I know. I haven't seen them all, and while I would totally recommend watching 08th stuff, at the very least, I'm not sure how good of a starter series it would be for someone uninitiated into the shows.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19738 on: October 09, 2014, 07:48:58 pm »

Which of the (many many) Gundam shows would you folks recommend for a guy who's never seen more than a few episodes, none of which appeared to be related to the others? All I can remember of the episodes I saw (on Toonami) is mooks dying by the hundreds and named characters dying disturbingly frequently. Of course, I had no real context for what was going on so for all I know I was watching series finales or something.

Best starting points are either, the original series, War in the Pocket, Wing, or 00. Or 08th MS team if you're really into military stuff and vietnam movies
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:50:38 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19739 on: October 09, 2014, 07:50:39 pm »

You should find this helpful, Sirus. It's pretty much a guide that details how to get into the Gundam series if you're new to the entire thing. I was linked to this by Furtuka/GUNINANRUNIN when I expressed interest in watching Gundam, by the way.
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 2193