Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3062549 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17670 on: June 01, 2014, 12:24:59 am »

On the fifth book of volume one of Girl Friends. I've lost track of how many times they say "Eh?" as a shocked noise of exclamation. They say it a lot. I think the manga is secretly set in an alternate universe where Japan was colonized by Canadians.

I take offense to this; Japanese schoolgirls say "Ehhhh?" far more than all of Canada combined.
Well, I learned something today. I learned one Japanese schoolgirl is made up of loooooots of little subatomic Canadians.  :P
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17671 on: June 01, 2014, 08:49:01 am »

I feel at once offended and at the same time slightly aroused.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #17672 on: June 01, 2014, 08:52:48 am »

I feel at once offended and at the same time slightly aroused.
>slightly aroused.
>>aroused.
Well that was unintentional. The offending was also unintentional, of course, but, uh, yeah. I'll just, uh,-- stereotypes are bad, m'kay. *bails on thread*
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17673 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:34 am »

Still WIP, no panel markings yet, used basic sticker set and dry transfers, nubs noobishly cut and no paints.

I found out that scotch/masking tape works really well when transferring dry transfer decals into the Gundam surface. Simply position it where you want it to be, apply small portion of tape, relocate as needed and finally rub away with something with a smooth and probably rounded surface to avoid scratching the decal.

For a first timer's attempt at transferring decals, this went pretty well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:32:56 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17674 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:41 am »

In time honored fashion of b12 Anime thread, I bring you some manga recommendations! Read them at your preferred site - I mainly link Batoto, but they don't have 7 newest chapters of KnK so I linked another one.

Koe no Katachi
The main ingredients are deaf girl, bullying and maturity. As for genre it is mainly slice of life and romance. But don't expect romantic comedy or lightheartedness. The story focuses on deaf girl and boy who bullies her in school. She is eventually forced to transfer and the boy becomes the bullying target. After years, he sets out to reedem himself from his sins.
This manga ranks up there in the top 20 manga I have ever read. And it is still ongoing!

Teppu
Main heroine is a gifted girl who can achieve anything she wants in sports. Because of this she is permanently bored, as there aren’t any real challenges to her abilites to make her feel alive. One day she receives an invitation of a merry girl to join her martial arts club. Irritated by her happy expression, she decides to accept the invitation just as a pretext to beat her up, but she receives a shocking surprise.
Sports manga, with pretty compelling story. It is not like every other shounen type sport story of getting stronger to beat the next opponent. The focus lies more with the interesting characters and their relationships/rivality.

Hito Hitori Futari
What would you do if you could talk with your guardian spirit and you were Prime Minister of Japan? This is the manga about it. The guardian spirit is even a cute 18-year old girl! But expect strong story and not much comedy. I liked the concept of great politician being aided by supernatural phenomenon, but the weak point for me were the political messages of the work.
Recently finished with translation, so ready for reading in one go!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17675 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:59 pm »

Watched a couple episodes of Attack on Titan and holy crap is it bad. Awful. One of the worst ever. It's all that is bad with bad anime at every level. There is no saving grace anywhere.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: June 02, 2014, 02:42:31 pm »

Care to elaborate?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17677 on: June 02, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »

I consider AoT in the same general category as Lost, interesting at first until you realize the plot is entirely made up as they go.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17678 on: June 02, 2014, 03:28:19 pm »

Care to elaborate?

---

It's not even that bad. It's not even that bad!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17679 on: June 02, 2014, 05:16:24 pm »

I consider AoT in the same general category as Lost, interesting at first until you realize the plot is entirely made up as they go.

It's funny, because I consider it the opposite. Seemed to me that the author always had an idea of what he wanted it to be, the only problem is the series misrepresents itself at the beginning and makes people think it will be something that it is not. Thus the massive hate backlash of people upset that their expectations were dashed in exchange for something else.

Nothing makes a person more furious than seeing something they care about ruined, it's probably along those lines.
Hell, it's why I have this eternal burning hatred for Evangelion; I went in expecting disturbing psychological horror and a grimdark setting, instead what I ended up with was teenage angst, silly anime "comedy" bullshit, and an incomprehensible plot that peters off into the most painfully dull and boring ending I have ever seen.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17680 on: June 02, 2014, 05:21:17 pm »

That sounds more like trhe result of it's reputation getting inflated over the years by the fanbase due to the entire franchise being accumulated as a whole rather than the fault of the producers or the show itself :V
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17681 on: June 02, 2014, 05:34:56 pm »

Ahh I see so Attack on Titan is a Bait and Switch series.

Where it gives you the premise... then proceeds to ignore said premise because the series is about something else entirely.

I admit I've only rarely seen that... and when I did it was usually a joke... a "You thought we were going to explore the premise we set up for the first few episodes? HA! we are just going to do our own thing", which has been funny 2/3 times and EXTREMELY annoying 1/3 times. Not in a serious show meant to be taken seriously.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17682 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »

Ahh I see so Attack on Titan is a Bait and Switch series.

Where it gives you the premise... then proceeds to ignore said premise because the series is about something else entirely.
No it's not?

No it doesn't?

I don't know anymore.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17683 on: June 02, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »

Neo, you're making assumptions again~
It's FEF, not FEOF

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17684 on: June 02, 2014, 05:41:59 pm »

Care to elaborate?

Ahegao faces everywhere. Angst galore. Gore galore. An "im'ma be the central figure of the world and kill all the titans RAWR ... OH GOD WHY CAN'T I STAND UP STRAIGHT IN THIS BELT .. This is terrible and I'm going to go cry in a corner" character. Then it's almost nothing but *grrr stern face* for awhile and "we are humans fighting collectively against titans but I'm going to fuck you over to get what I want." It's not even rats fleeing a sinking ship or a drowning victim trying to get to the top of the human flotilla, but practically an extortion racket of "I'm only in it for me" from at least one character that is joining a collective army. The ruling class doing it? That's par for the course. A shopkeeper, maybe. But an army grunt? Titans are a known horror and there's this long exposition... did I forget about ALL THE EXPOSITION?! ... long exposition about people joining the army not having ever seen a Titan and they think it'll be a cakewalk filled with honor and glory ... did I forget ALL THE EXPOSITION of the past few years of mass numbers of people starving? The whole thing starts with "look at all this blood and gore and bad things. LOOK AT IT!!! I'm going to rub your face in it. Everyone is starving." and gets to "we're all prissy soldiers la de da *grr face* most of us have never felt hardship these past 3 years."

I walked into this knowing nothing about it. It happened to be on. Never again!
Pages: 1 ... 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 ... 2193