Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067907 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:51:58 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16966 on: April 09, 2014, 10:49:14 pm »

Interesting, but I don't really see how it's relevant.
The guy isn't shown to even have any flaws yet, by the telling of it.

His flaw was that he didn't get accepted into the A-stream course: The "Blooms". He's in the "Weeds", so snobby types can call him a "lowly weed" and stuff. But other than that he's Mr Perfect.

Fake Flaw, it is.

And the setting is even more silly when they constantly say this is an elite school. Let's say that only the top 1% of the population allowed in. So, the top 0.5% of the population are "Blooms" and treated like royalty, but if you're in the "lowly" top 1% - 0.5% bracket, you're a "Weed" and they belittle you worse than just a regular school student.

That's what you get when you blindly mash contradictory plot points together.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16967 on: April 09, 2014, 11:51:41 pm »

Fosters healthy competition.
You treat them all like royalty, they get complacent.
Treat half like dirt, and they'll kill for that %50
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16968 on: April 10, 2014, 12:28:31 am »

As far as the setting goes, nobody has mentioned even the possibility of moving up to the top 50% though: once a "Weed" it's talked about as a totally separate course:

Tatsuya Shiba and his sister Miyuki Shiba are new students enrolling at the Private Magic University Affiliated High School (First High School). Students are ranked according to their test scores: students with the best grades are designated "Bloom" and enrolled in the Course 1 curriculum, while those with poor scores are designated "Weed" and enrolled in Course 2.

So they're ranked on entrance and have totally different courses and syllabus. Historically, those sorts of locked-in decisions foster arrogance in the top lot, and despair in the bottom lot, rather that competition.

Look at the history of the 11-plus exams in the UK. They were meant to replace the "class" system but the assumptions behind it ensured only the top 15% of 11 year olds would ever make it to university, and the rest, would be blue-collar workers. The assumption they made was that IQ was a "locked in" value for your whole life, thus they could grade your worth at 11, and use that to decide your whole future. Morale amongst those in the 85% plummeted because you knew their was a glass ceiling no matter how hard you worked after that. imagine if you just skirted the 85% mark in the 11-plus. You should by all rights have had a shot at university, but that one poor exam at 11 years old doomed you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:35:27 am by Reelya »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16969 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:40 am »

Interesting, but I don't really see how it's relevant.
The guy isn't shown to even have any flaws yet, by the telling of it.

His flaw was that he didn't get accepted into the A-stream course: The "Blooms". He's in the "Weeds", so snobby types can call him a "lowly weed" and stuff. But other than that he's Mr Perfect.

Fake Flaw, it is.

And the setting is even more silly when they constantly say this is an elite school. Let's say that only the top 1% of the population allowed in. So, the top 0.5% of the population are "Blooms" and treated like royalty, but if you're in the "lowly" top 1% - 0.5% bracket, you're a "Weed" and they belittle you worse than just a regular school student.

That's what you get when you blindly mash contradictory plot points together.
He is more than capable though, he held back to keep his power in secret so i can keep reading his mind monologue on how OP he is against the rest of the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16970 on: April 10, 2014, 01:17:17 am »

I just love how terrible schools and universities in anime are a thing.

It isn't like a once in a while deal... There are just so many absolutely horrendous elite schools.

It seems like if the school gets any focus in an anime it is going to be a bad school even when they are trying to make it seem great.

MIND you I can think of an exception off the top of my head where it honestly was a school full of teachers who honestly want to do their best along with many great students as well... But there is only so much you can do with a school in a bad neighborhood.

Outside of that though, I am having trouble thinking of an honest to goodness good school (that gets focus) in an anime except perhaps Ouran Host Club's school (though the amount of crud people can get away with in that school...).

So there I go... 2 honestly good schools. (and no, I do not consider YGO-GX to be a good school)

---

Mind you it isn't like western animation is full of good schools...

But they are always the same bland boring "bad school" of Bullies get free reign and faculty can harass students or if they want to go the extra mile they are a "poor school" ooOoOooohm, and that is when they are trying to be a bad school. Anime at least knows how to make it interesting. A School where showing people hacked up dead bodies of their fellow classmates to the class but doesn't tell them that they were faked? I'd like to see a cartoon do that! Only in anime my friend.

So don't get me wrong this isn't a criticism of anime. I do genuinely like how interesting things even as mundane as school can be in anime because of their often complete lack of self-awareness because everything is always through the lens of the hero.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:39:04 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16971 on: April 10, 2014, 01:46:13 am »

High school of the dead
Bamboo blade
School Rumble
The pet of sakurasou
Silver spoon
Soul eater
Haruhi suzumiya.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16972 on: April 10, 2014, 01:56:56 am »

^ is that a quiz? "What do these shows have in common?"

Anyway I don't know if it was intentional, but the school in Silver Spoon is good school with normal, helpful teachers. And it's not just a "background" thing like many shows: the curriculum gets a lot of focus.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:58:30 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16973 on: April 10, 2014, 02:17:41 am »

High school of the dead has a Yari club. That's a good school in my books.
Bamboo blade has active clubs?
School Rumble has teachers, I guess, somewhere in there.
The pet of sakurasou is probs the best. It's an elite school
Silver Spoon, ag school.
Soul Eater, they teach their stuff the best way they can. Lazers.
Haruhi, every mention of teachers is them not putting up with her shit.

So, that's some examples of schools that aren't terrible.

Oh, and the school from code geass.
Probably not the school from kill la kill.
Nobody hears about the school from deathnote.
And the school from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.... No.
I guess he tries.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:19:41 am by Tack »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16974 on: April 10, 2014, 02:19:29 am »

"spear club" ?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16975 on: April 10, 2014, 02:22:01 am »

Damn straight.
Kendo is old news.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16976 on: April 10, 2014, 02:30:20 am »

Probably not the school from kill la kill.
Honnouji had a motherfuckin' fight club. Instant top of the charts right there.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16977 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:42 am »

"spear club" ?
It's actually a martial art called Sōjutsu. That's how they refer to it in the show, not "yari" club. And traditionally, it was actually part of the school curriculum, it still exists, but it is rare. The idea of a Sōjutsu club existing isn't that far fetched.

Sōjutsu is typically only a single component of curriculum in comprehensive traditional (koryū) schools. The still extant Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō-ryū claims to be the first school to include sōjutsu in its formal curriculum, and another very well known school of sōjutsu is the Hōzōin-ryū. While today there are very few schools still teaching sōjutsu, at one time there were as many as 450.

It's just a shame that the skills you learn in the club (striking to the heart) seem to be no use against the actual zombies. The kendo girl fares better.

How about the school from Alien 9? Keeps getting invaded by aliens and they force little girls to rollerblade around trying to catch them, while wearing living alien bike helmets with suckers on their heads, and suffering some serious psych trauma.

That show is pretty disturbing. It's like Neon Genesis Junior.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:05:17 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16978 on: April 10, 2014, 03:28:08 am »

So, that's some examples of schools that aren't terrible

I don't know a lot of them really can lean either way.

Haruhi's school is good on paper but honestly the teachers are probably the biggest "I just don't care" I have ever seen... With even strange people being able to walk in and out of the school entirely unhindered... as well as rather open instances of outright assault, sexual abuse, and I think even kidnapping and they are like "ehhh, we will let it slide".

Nobody hears about the school from deathnote

Because it is rather superfluous to the manga except that it hosts a handful of scenes that really could have happened anywhere.

It is why I added the "with focus" aspect into it. Since most anime and mangas feature a school or university in someway, but rarely really highlight it other then using it for a scene or two.

Honestly you probably never even see the cafeteria of the school (though I think Japanese Highschools might not commonly have a cafeteria)

How about the school from Alien 9?

It really isn't fair to say a school sucks just because it is in a series where terrible stuff keeps happening.

---

Also I am going to double whammy and put Zach Bell and Persona 4 anime into the same "terrible school" category.

But in their cases it is because the schools keep hiring the worst faculty ever devised... almost consistently.

And oddly enough... They both hired a woman who seems to like flirting with her underage students. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if she was the same woman.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:41:22 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16979 on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:46 am »

It really isn't fair to say a school sucks just because it is in a series where terrible stuff keeps happening.

In that case, the terrible things are organized by the school, though. It's the school's policy that randomly picks the little girls out, sticks aliens symbionts on their heads and makes them fight monsters, rather than having some sort of paid security.
Pages: 1 ... 1130 1131 [1132] 1133 1134 ... 2193