Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070548 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #16785 on: March 30, 2014, 03:44:46 pm »

So just to be clear you're complaining about a show that you watched in a language you don't understand?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: March 30, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »

If I could actually understand what anyone was saying, perhaps I wouldn't have such a big problem with the plot. But as it is I don't know if the loss of the battle was due to incompetence, bad planning, evil leaders, simple unfathomable stupidity or some combination of the above.

I could have sworn that the pylons were dropped where they were supposed to be, because it was pretty obvious when an airship got shot down and at least some of them showed no signs of taking damage that I could see.

I'm admittedly not fond of pointless battles (my biggest gripes about Attack on Titan were in large part due to these), but a show has to have something else to grab my attention - interesting characters, creepy monsters, good action scenes, hell even a romance subplot. Anything, really. The VOTOMS OVA pretty much had nothing.

The AA would have killed many of the mechs. But that's why you don't drop one or two, you drop dozens at a time from each ship. A comparatively tiny mech moving in all three dimensions at once is a hell of a lot harder to hit than a fuckheug airship moving in a straight line, and the AA didn't seem all that accurate. For each mech that dies middrop, at least one would have survived to make trouble. Or maybe not, but at least it would have been better than focusing entirely on landing on the beach.

Snow Crash is ostensibly about a theoretical future!Internet, and being written before the Internet really took off it predicted a large number of terms and concepts with reasonable accuracy (like the use of the term "avatar"). It also featured the Deliverator (a car straight out of Speed Racer used for pizza deliveries) and a nuclear-powered minigun called Reason. These things take up such a huge amount of discussion on the book that you would be forgiven for thinking that the entire book was about those. Instead, the Deliverator is gone less than a quarter of the way through, Reason shows up for two chapters near the climax, and the prediction stuff is relegated to infodumps. A good portion of the rest is Sumerian (pretty sure it was Sumerian, been a while since I read it) myth, new-age crap, and a really creepy relationship between the main antagonist and a teenage girl.

So just to be clear you're complaining about a show that you watched in a language you don't understand?
Yes. Which I have repeatedly stated. Good job for catching on, I know that must have been difficult.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: March 30, 2014, 04:22:33 pm »

Well I'm just trying to work out why you feel like you have a right to complain about the show.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16788 on: March 30, 2014, 04:31:44 pm »

If I could actually understand what anyone was saying, perhaps I wouldn't have such a big problem with the plot.

.... yes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16789 on: March 30, 2014, 04:32:51 pm »

I mean what I'm getting from your post is less "VOTOMs is bad" and more "Watching a show which has a heavy emphasis on dialogue in a language that you do not understand without subtitles is bad".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16790 on: March 30, 2014, 05:39:55 pm »

The AA would have killed many of the mechs. But that's why you don't drop one or two, you drop dozens at a time from each ship. A comparatively tiny mech moving in all three dimensions at once is a hell of a lot harder to hit than a fuckheug airship moving in a straight line, and the AA didn't seem all that accurate. For each mech that dies middrop, at least one would have survived to make trouble. Or maybe not, but at least it would have been better than focusing entirely on landing on the beach.
Except, surprise, in order to airdrop the mechs you need those airships (there are planes too but they can't deploy the mechs in appreciable numbers). They'd get shot down the same as the ones carrying those pylons. I'd say that's far worse than the beach deployment because the mechs wouldn't even touch the ground.

"For each mech that dies...at least one would survive to make trouble."
Sweet Jesus that's exactly what the generals' strategy was when they decided to deploy a quarter of a thousand mechs en masse on a beach!
What even is your argument anymore?!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16791 on: March 30, 2014, 05:44:11 pm »

I don't see how anyone could expect to understand a show from visuals alone unless the show in question was specifically designed to be watchable that way.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16792 on: March 30, 2014, 05:56:43 pm »

Okay, I'm going to explain this simply and use small words:

Do a Google image search for paratrooper drops. Notice how there are dozens of them falling at a time, spread out, landing in different areas and moving through three dimensions simultaneously. Oops, I meant "at the same time".
Now do an image search for a conveyor belt. Notice how there is one object moving though each stage at a time. Notice how a conveyor belt relies on the object being worked on being in the same position at the same time. If you're really, really clever, you may notice the similarity between a conveyor belt and those metal tracks the mechs used to climb the cliff.

You starting to see a disparity yet? Let me put it another way: what's the bigger threat, a thousand zerglings moving en masse or a thousand zerglings attacking one, two, or even three at a time?

That's the difference between what I would have done and what happened. Drop that same quarter of a thousand mecha from the air and I guarantee that at least two enemy bunkers would have exploded, thus doing twice as well as the beach invasion did. Unless of course they all forgot that they had guns again.

I'm not sure how I went from "this show wasn't quite what I expected and I am slightly disappointed about that" to this sort of thing, but apparently I'm simply not allowed to dislike something today.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:12:23 pm by Sirus »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16793 on: March 30, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »

You can dislike it, but you can't claim to have an informed opinion when you didn't fucking understand it

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16794 on: March 30, 2014, 06:48:32 pm »

Okay, I'm going to explain this simply and use small words:
..you did not need to go there Sirus. You don't need to get angry at me just because I like the show.. :l

If the transports are destroyed before they can get past the beach or even the bunkers, how can you expect the mechs to be parachuted? The airships can carry a lot of mechs, the amount of mechs that you would need for what you're talking about, but they're too slow to get past the AA. Even very large planes can't carry that many. And you don't need to hit the mech, just the massive parachute that is needed to make it drop safely, which will kill it just as good.

You can dislike it, but you can't claim to have an informed opinion when you didn't fucking understand it
^^This so much. You've only watched ten minutes of a much longer OVA, in a foreign language no less.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:16:40 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16795 on: March 30, 2014, 07:07:54 pm »

-ish
I watched the first few seasons of Naruto in Japanese with no subtitles.
But it was a crazy straightforward anime.

But anyway, everyone has their things they like and dislike in anime, and Sirus's 'thing' is the protagonists losing a battle. Given that the first episode of this is the protagonists losing a battle (And the reasons why being a little bit foggy due to language barriers) then it stands to reason why he wouldn't like it.

As a 'thing people dislike', this is relatively minor. I have a friend who will only watch an anime with swords.
I was like 'Sweet! Action! Check out black lagoon!', he watched two episodes and didn't like it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16796 on: March 30, 2014, 07:15:23 pm »

As a 'thing people dislike', this is relatively minor. I have a friend who will only watch an anime with swords.
I was like 'Sweet! Action! Check out black lagoon!', he watched two episodes and didn't like it.
That's a strange habit. Hope he likes Berserk!

Love Black Lagoon. Fantastic show.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16797 on: March 30, 2014, 07:49:32 pm »

Screw it, I can't deal with this any more. Enjoy your VOTOMS, I'll find something else to watch.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16798 on: March 30, 2014, 08:03:58 pm »

Turns out, I read the synopsis of the episode, and the battalion commander who led the attack is later court-martialled for being deranged. So.. Argument invalidated. The island was a massive fortress that even later on stymied repeated assaults. 1500 mechs were destroyed in the battle.

It cuts away as one of the airships is being destroyed. It doesn't show them turning around and flying off so its possible and actually nearly guaranteed they were all destroyed before they could turn around.

Plus the whole ziplines and parachutes thing is still quite grasping. I don't know if the airships can even deploy mechs. If there wasn't an army of 1500 mechs marching up the beach you can bet they would've been knocked out far more quickly with all the enemy fire directed upward. The airships were there for about 10 seconds and in that time two out of four were destroyed. How long do you think it would take to deploy 1500 mechs via rappels? Is that even feasible? And you can bet flak would tear the hell out of any parachute, its fabric for God's sake and it wouldn't take very many holes to make a 6,600 ton vehicle drop like a rock.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16799 on: March 30, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »

I don't like the protagonists losing battles when it was clear that the whole thing was entirely fucking pointless!
But there's a point to all of the people dying in Attack on Titan...
Maybe it's not that you don't like a loss, and it's not that you don't like pointless fighting, but just that you don't like hopeless situations?
In which case I would recommend you don't watch Berserk.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 2193