Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075359 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13170 on: January 18, 2013, 04:12:28 pm »

X/1999. Or ANYTHING by CLAMP for that matter.
I'm not touching X again until they finish it. :p

But I have been meaning to read Rayearth.

Hm, Otoyomegatari also comes to mind:
Dem costumes. Very very nice. Seems like the kind of thing I like to read too.

Well Berserk, Vinland Saga and Vagabond spring to mind as all having good art though Berserk is a little rough at the start.
Looking at some scans, Vinland Saga has some real nice background art, and Vagabond looks like a samurai film, which is very impressive, but I've never been a fan of Berserk's art style.

Thanks for all your recommendations!
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13171 on: January 19, 2013, 04:52:06 am »

So I'm looking for recommendations of manga with good art. I'm not really concerned about genre or plot or characters or even if it's been translated, just that the art is good. I'm looking to brush up on my drawing skills, so I need references.

The things I value in art are clean drawings, beautiful landscapes and architecture, subdued and more realistic character design, subtle use of expression and posture, and interesting use of angles and layout. The manga I've read that I'd say had particularly noteworthy art would be: Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Mushi-shi, Pieta, Aria, and Coelacanth.
Like people have suggested, I also recommend Inoue Takehiko's Vagabond, which is the samurai one, or Real, which is much more modern in its setting. He does a ton of his stuff with a brush, which is relatively unique among manga artists.
Spoiler: Vagabond (click to show/hide)
Mori Kaoru's work was also mentioned, Otoyomegatari.

Those two are top of the line as far as I know.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13172 on: January 20, 2013, 02:16:03 am »

So I'm looking for recommendations of manga with good art. I'm not really concerned about genre or plot or characters or even if it's been translated, just that the art is good. I'm looking to brush up on my drawing skills, so I need references.

Seconded Vinland Saga. I'm quite impressed with Hajime no Ippo, actually. It's not super-high-definition, but a lot of effort is put into making the many characters stand out from one another and to make boxing look realistic (while at the same time trying to simulate motion using a still image). Then again, it's 1003 chapters and ongoing, sooooo...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13173 on: January 20, 2013, 02:34:52 am »

Seconded Vinland Saga. I'm quite impressed with Hajime no Ippo, actually. It's not super-high-definition, but a lot of effort is put into making the many characters stand out from one another and to make boxing look realistic (while at the same time trying to simulate motion using a still image). Then again, it's 1003 chapters and ongoing, sooooo...

Hajime no Ippo can be fun, especially if you're watching it with a group of people and making kind-hearted jokes. It was interesting enough for me to watch more than a dozen episodes of a sports series that isn't completely off-the-rails absurd, anyhow.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13174 on: January 20, 2013, 05:25:46 am »

Rule of Food In Anime 1: People do not have strong preferences when it comes to food. So long as the food isn't terrible, made of bugs, or freek food... EVERYONE who isn't a villain will love your food so long as they taste it. Thus in anime the love for all foods is universal.

Rule of Fearful Competence 1: Regardless of whether or not a person would actually be scary. Whatever the anime is about expect anyone with a lot of skill in it to be able to scare others easily. If the anime is about typing on a keyboard, expect anyone is moderate skill to be able to make others pee their pants.

Rule of Harmless Hostility: If someone is a villain they are threatening. It doesn't matter if they actually pose a threat or have any hint of actually resorting to violence. Just by being a villain you ARE capable of great harm and will be treated as such. The exception to the rules are comedic villains.

Hero/Villain Double Standard LAW: Anytime a hero uses odd tactics and bending of the rules expect them to be treated as cunning, witty, or very strategic (unless they are being evil at that moment). A Villain who uses the exact same strategies will of course be treated as if he was cheating, using cheap tactics, and overall being a pretty rotten person all things considered. This can even go as far as the Hero using abilities that are considered "evil" suddenly changing just because the hero started using them.

Rule of Hero Female Counterpart: Just because the male lead has a female counterpart, it doesn't mean they are going to be as competent, as focused, or even considered to be as worthy as the main hero. In fact female counterparts have a incredibly high chance to be completely thrown aside usually because they are "girls".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:37:38 am by Neonivek »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13175 on: January 20, 2013, 01:24:17 pm »

Hajime no Ippo can be fun, especially if you're watching it with a group of people and making kind-hearted jokes. It was interesting enough for me to watch more than a dozen episodes of a sports series that isn't completely off-the-rails absurd, anyhow.
Yeah I checked out a couple chapters and it does have good art, although it is superbly 80s. The action is all really well done and it even has some nice cityscapes in the background. And I don't normally read sports manga, but this one was pretty enjoyable. It actually seemed to try for realism in the progression of the protagonist's skill rather than have him be possessed by some go playing ghost, or automatically be the best thing that ever happened to the sport. That was nice to see. Translation was all kinds of awful though.

Like people have suggested, I also recommend Inoue Takehiko's Vagabond, which is the samurai one, or Real, which is much more modern in its setting. He does a ton of his stuff with a brush, which is relatively unique among manga artists.
That's interesting. I was actually wondering why there wasn't more brushwork in manga. I really enjoy sumi-e and it's a bit disappointing to see that the brush isn't really used. Some artists do a good job of imitating it with the pen, but it isn't the same. Definitely will be checking that out then.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:28:22 pm by fqllve »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13176 on: January 20, 2013, 07:33:36 pm »

It is going to be a while until I can jump into this conversation since the vast majority of them are on Visual novels and manga... some of which are cheesy bad.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13177 on: January 20, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »

And Neonivek would NEVER watch something that's cheesy bad.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13178 on: January 20, 2013, 07:38:12 pm »

If he did, we would certainly never hear complaints about it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13179 on: January 20, 2013, 07:41:40 pm »

It is going to be a while until I can jump into this conversation since the vast majority of them are on Visual novels and manga... some of which are cheesy bad.

I'm under the impression that the term is 'moa', or something of that nature. I'm not sure, I don't speak internet very well, so I could be wrong...

Still, although not exactly anime, very much inspired by anime is Rick Murry's War in Minecraft, with some pretty good amature animation. Plus it tastes exactly like an anime.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #13180 on: January 20, 2013, 07:47:28 pm »

I think the term you're looking for is moai. Cute anime girls are SO moai.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I saw that guy's avatar and thought, "Oh my, this is going to be the worst thing." But it was actually well-animated. So much lens flare though. My god the lens flare.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:50:53 pm by fqllve »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13181 on: January 21, 2013, 03:45:33 am »

I finished Virtue's Last Reward after playing it for nine days straight (it's fitting really).  It's too late for me post a lot, mainly dumb statistics and theories, but all that needs to be said now:
"Kotaro Uchikoshi revealed in an interview with Nintendo Power that a sequel to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is currently in development."

Never stop Uchikoshi.

EDIT:
Shit I can't go to sleep when I finish a long VN I enjoyed.

Here's the dumb statistics and stuff I promised:
Spoiler: major VLR spoilers (click to show/hide)
There's most likely errors.  I still consider the Zero Escape games insanely superior to the actual Infinity trilogy if you're looking for some Infinity.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:47:45 pm by ToonyMan »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: January 21, 2013, 04:04:47 am »

If he did, we would certainly never hear complaints about it.

Actually anything I watched that was cheesy bad in a good way I havn't complained about.

Anything I watched with the intention of it being cheesy bad... and it turned out to be REALLY REALLY bad... Yeah I've ranted about.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13183 on: January 21, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »

So after reading Thousand Shinji I was motivated to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I just finished episode three.

It's actually relatively straightforward right now, I'm waiting for the orange juice and musing to show up.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13184 on: January 21, 2013, 07:10:27 pm »

Please watch the movies instead of the series, you would be less mindfucked.
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 2193