Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3063780 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7335 on: April 28, 2011, 12:22:22 pm »

I watched the english version.

You know the one that combined three unrelated series into one?
Hobotech. There's an anime term "Macekre" (pronounced like massacre) to describe the editing done on series like this (the producer was Carl Macek). I liked Robotech much more before seeing the extended Macross series. (Now there's a new, faithful, English dub of the original part used in Robotech)

The Macross term "Protoculture" for the common ancestor of the humans and the alien invaders, was changed to mean "Applied Phlebotinum" in Robotech, JUST BECAUSE, without sufficiently changing conversations or contexts in which it appeared. To say the least this made the Robotech plot a little hard to follow. e.g. knowledge of kissing means the aliens think your race possesses Applied Phlebotinum - the rarest superfuel in the galaxy. This turned the Zentraedi from a credible interstellar threat to a bunch of clueless dicks. Also the fact that their entire tech is supposed to run on Protoculture, and they're not supposed to have any. WTF?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:15:17 am by Reelyanoob »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »

It made the series weird especially since they essentially kill off aliens between "seasons" for no really well explained reason.

"Why did the aliens die?"
"We will NEVER tell you!"

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:44 pm »

The series explains it (off-screen) as forced micronization and assimilation, using the cloning chambers the aliens used to plant spies. Robotech comes across as more intolerant than the source materials.

Having heard the singing in Robotech and Macross too, Robotech makes a more plausible case that a singing voice can be "Weaponized", and that the last survivors in the galaxy had appalling music taste. Casio keyboard vs Orchestral. This is not the worst Minmay song in Robotech by far, just the worst one I could find on youtube. Also note - this may not be the best Macross song by far either - just the one with the matching scene. Fun note : prior to this scene, Robotech Minmay says to Rick "I wrote a song called My Boyfriend Is A Pilot, i'll sing it for you someday". She never sings it in the Robotech version, instead singing the horrible song. Same scene in Macross, she actually sings that song.

Also - Dynamite EXPLOSION Macross 7 style.

btw there's a movie "Robotech II The Sentinels" that falls between Series #1 and #2, it's episode 36.5 basically. And it's really the worst thing you've ever seen, die-hard fans AVOID. Best thing in it is <Character X> and <Character Y> getting married. They even re-used entire sequences of footage from the marriage in series #1. The rest of the movie looks like a mix of used and un-used footage from series 1, 2 and 3. XD

Click if you've seen at least robotech series #1 or SDF Macross, or don't care about being spolied.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note this gem of Robotech plot :

1. the giant aliens in Robotech series #1 seem totally amazed at the very existence of human-sized organisms (Micronians)
2. Roy states that the captured alien battleship SDF-1 was "built for giant aliens"
3. The giant aliens in episode #1 state that the battleship belonged to Zor, a Robotech Master (from series 2), overlords of the giant aliens.
4. All the Robotech Masters in Series #2, including Zor, ARE MICRONIANS.

The real Zor :
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:24:13 pm by Reelyanoob »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: April 28, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »

Hey, maybe they found it in a skip or something with "Property of Zor, Robotech Master" written on the side.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: April 28, 2011, 04:44:48 pm »

Just finished watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica and now I have a new desktop background.

Spoilers for series ending

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: April 28, 2011, 08:53:43 pm »

Just finished watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica and now I have a new desktop background.

Spoilers for series ending
I have to finish that D:
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: April 29, 2011, 12:18:24 am »

Shaft using the colossal amount of Madoka bluray sales to put a lot of changes in it:

There was also a nice Madoka parody in the MariaHolic Alive 04 raws, Shaft are now putting parodies of their own shows that just ended. There was also an Infinite Stratos parody in the second episode.

SUBS FUCKING WHERE. Commie still haven't released Maria 03 and the raws for 04 are out. Still no sign of Kaiji 2 04.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: April 29, 2011, 11:11:05 am »

Oddly enough I prefer the TV version in most of those shots.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: April 29, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »

I wasn't so fond of the ones where they cut down the nature and detail, but other than that... yeah, they look really nice :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: April 29, 2011, 02:29:33 pm »

I think my favorite part about Madoka Magica is the subbers were kinda enough to put MORNING RESCUE commercials in the middle of almost every episode.

As for progress, I'm on game 3 of Higurashi now.  Game 2's ending was pretty tragic and confusing.  Although it was definitely better than game 1's ending.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: April 29, 2011, 07:01:18 pm »

I think my favorite part about Madoka Magica is the subbers were kinda enough to put MORNING RESCUE commercials in the middle of almost every episode.

I find that's the only reason I don't start crying like a little bitch whenever I watch that show.

No offense to small people or female dogs, though.

Also, I know there's a piece of fanart floating around where
by the Morning Rescue crew. :D
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: April 29, 2011, 11:46:12 pm »

A simple search for morning_rescue on gelbooru yielded this.

Personally I found both gg and nutbladder's subs to be full of mistranslations and bullshit like adverts. I'm going to archive whichever Bluray group uses Yesy's subs.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:51:02 pm by tehc »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: April 29, 2011, 11:49:32 pm »

It's not the one I'm talking about, but it's close.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: April 29, 2011, 11:52:17 pm »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: April 29, 2011, 11:59:25 pm »

This is the one! It made me simultaneously laugh and cry, because I wish that actually happened D:
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 2193