Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070725 times)

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #1500 on: February 06, 2010, 07:16:43 pm »

Got caught up on Liar Game. If your looking for a Manga all about head games and physiological warfare, chances are it's right down your alley.

Also, watched Moyashimon again in one sitting, and that got me pumped enough to recommend it again.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 06, 2010, 07:20:30 pm »

Both Sukaku and Lelouch are good, in the sense that their goals are good. However their actions do not help them. I say they are both neutral, Suzaku is lawful, and Lelouch leans toward chaotic. They are both deep, morally gray characters. One of the many thinkgs I love about CG.

I beg to differ.

Lawful Good

Lawful Good is known as the "Saintly" or "Crusader" alignment. A Lawful Good character typically acts with compassion, and always with honor and a sense of duty. A Lawful Good nation would consist of a well-organized government that works for the benefit of its citizens. Lawful Good characters include righteous knights, paladins, and most dwarves. Lawful Good creatures include the noble golden dragons. Lawful Good outsiders are known as Archons.

Lawful Good characters, especially paladins, may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or good when the two conflict - for example, upholding a sworn oath when it would lead innocents to come to harm - or conflicts between two orders, such as between their religious law and the law of the local ruler.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

And Lelouche would be more of the chaotic good type of person.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:23:36 pm by Mindmaker »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 06, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »

I somehow seriously doubt that the Japanese creators had DnD in mind when making the characters.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 06, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »

I don't think Mindmaker is suggesting that the team that created Code Geass stole their character morality designs from DnD, rather that if we where to class them base on the DnD Alignment scale they would fall in those niches, and then he supplied evidence to support his claim.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 06, 2010, 07:32:12 pm »

Hmm.  My definition of Evil is ridiculously narrow and covers almost noone, I guess.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:09 pm »

Meh, that's just me being bitter towards pigeon holing characters into one of nine stereotypes.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:16 pm »

I somehow seriously doubt that the Japanese creators had DnD in mind when making the characters.

I didn't claim they did.
It's just that I disagree with CG having no "good guy"-type characters and copied a paragraph of an existing ordinal system, since its nearly 2 AM and I'm to tired to write a wall of text explaining why I think they are wrong.

Tomorrow, after a good nights sleep, I might point out scenes and situations, which prove my point of view.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 06, 2010, 07:35:04 pm »

No, don't bother.

Meh, that's just me being bitter towards pigeon holing characters into one of nine stereotypes.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 06, 2010, 07:47:05 pm »

In my opinion, if they have the choice to kill or spare, and they kill, they are bad.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: February 06, 2010, 07:48:04 pm »

Yeah, the DnD is a little cliche and has some flaws. If you want a ~perfect~ Alignment system you'll want this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For instance, I'd peg Lelouche as a Batman and Sukaku as a Raynor-Taft

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: February 06, 2010, 07:53:52 pm »

In my opinion, if they have the choice to kill or spare, and they kill, they are bad.
Yeah, that makes sense.  Even if sometimes, just sometimes, you wish the hero would overcome this moral dilemna, kill the villain and end it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:42 pm »

Yeah, the DnD is a little cliche and has some flaws. If you want a ~perfect~ Alignment system you'll want this:

If you treat the law\chaos + good\evil axis as a continuous scale, rather than discrete points, and remember that in this context 'good' means 'helps others' and 'evil' means 'selfish\harms others' then it actually works really well.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 06, 2010, 07:57:49 pm »

Yeah, that makes sense.  Even if sometimes, just sometimes, you wish the hero would overcome this moral dilemna, kill the villain and end it.
Here's a moral dilemma, if he spares the villain, and the villain kills again, doesn't that make the Hero partially responsible for those deaths? I mean, he could have prevented them in the future had he killed the villain, but he was too scared to get his hands dirty. And I mean, it's not like he didn't know the villain was capable of it.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 06, 2010, 08:02:40 pm »

If you treat the law\chaos + good\evil axis as a continuous scale, rather than discrete points, and remember that in this context 'good' means 'helps others' and 'evil' means 'selfish\harms others' then it actually works really well.

Then why not just use the DnD 4.0 alignment scale? It's a strait line from Lawful good to Chaotic Evil. With Chaotic Good, Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Neutral and Lawful Evil all taken out of the mix.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:04:44 pm by Creaca »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 06, 2010, 08:06:34 pm »

Both Sukaku and Lelouch are good, in the sense that their goals are good. However their actions do not help them. I say they are both neutral, Suzaku is lawful, and Lelouch leans toward chaotic. They are both deep, morally gray characters. One of the many thinkgs I love about CG.

I beg to differ.

Lawful Good

Lawful Good is known as the "Saintly" or "Crusader" alignment. A Lawful Good character typically acts with compassion, and always with honor and a sense of duty. A Lawful Good nation would consist of a well-organized government that works for the benefit of its citizens. Lawful Good characters include righteous knights, paladins, and most dwarves. Lawful Good creatures include the noble golden dragons. Lawful Good outsiders are known as Archons.

Lawful Good characters, especially paladins, may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or good when the two conflict - for example, upholding a sworn oath when it would lead innocents to come to harm - or conflicts between two orders, such as between their religious law and the law of the local ruler.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

And Lelouche would be more of the chaotic good type of person.

Since it is 7:30 here, I guess I will talk. The way I see Suzaku, is that he strives to be Lawful Good. But his actions as a soldier beg to differ. Supporting an evil empire that has racism and social darwinism just strikes me as something that a good character would never do. He wants to change it from the inside, but if he succedes only Japan will feel the benefits. What about the rest of the world? The way I see it, there is no way for him to become the Knight of One without having to help Britannia conquer more of the world and oppress more people.

Suzaku wants to be Lawful Good, but his actions just keep me from seeing him as good.

As for Lelouch, he usually leans toward chaotic, his alignment depends on his tempermant, the circumstances, and even his persona. It is practically schizophrenic. http://alsosprachodin.deviantart.com/art/Lelouch-s-Alignment-Chart-148296568
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:09:13 pm by Diablous »
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 2193