Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2023 2024 [2025] 2026 2027 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3069905 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30360 on: May 02, 2017, 06:13:20 pm »

So uh, nyaa seems to be dead, can't be bothered to find out why but it seems that all of it is gone.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30361 on: May 02, 2017, 06:25:01 pm »

:o Rest In Archives
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30362 on: May 02, 2017, 06:27:08 pm »

It seems like their domain name was blocked by a registry, in theory if you knew the IP address then you could directly visit the site without needing a name.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30363 on: May 02, 2017, 07:24:08 pm »

Has anyone read I Am a Hero, by chance? Enough to give a rec/derec? Happened across a volume of it today and it seemed kinda interesting.
You follow some loser Japanese guy.  Weird shit happens and it goes from there.
This ain't your typical action hero.  Just a lucky guy.
I like it and pretty sure I was initially intrigued cause of someone here mentioning it.  I did start at a random chapter though, before going back to the start.
Good, that's what I was hoping for. Liked the idea of a manga protagonist just being some totally unremarkable dude wandering around in the post-apocalypse. Thanks!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30364 on: May 03, 2017, 02:17:05 am »

It seems like their domain name was blocked by a registry, in theory if you knew the IP address then you could directly visit the site without needing a name.
So uh... Does anyone know their IP address?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30365 on: May 03, 2017, 02:53:39 am »

you can get that easily enough, but the problem is knowing the correct document path on top of that

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30366 on: May 03, 2017, 11:35:05 am »

you can get that easily enough, but the problem is knowing the correct document path on top of that
Wait, their internal links aren't relative? I'll admit I don't have experience with their specific type of site, but that still seems weird to me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30367 on: May 03, 2017, 03:36:33 pm »

Multiple sites can be hosted on the same server (which might share the same IP), in which case each site is held in subfolders off the main webroot, and the domains point at those folders. In that case the domain is redirected to a subfolder off the main IP.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:53:18 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30368 on: May 03, 2017, 04:32:30 pm »

I uh, didn't know about nyaa, but there are various informative threads going at any given time on /a/ and some mention stuff you can do with sqlite if you're up for it. I'm not.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30369 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:29 pm »

haha, on /a/ some people are thinking the Japanese are upset nyaa.se went down. Oh what will the Japanese do now that the biggest English-language anime repository has gone down. Anime as we know it will collapse!

Edit: this hardly affects new shows at all, what with magnet links now. Tracker websites are old tech, doing whack-a-mole on tracker sites is just going to encourage people to develop more decentralized systems, e.g. a blockchain-based anime magnet tracker might be a thing someone could get to work. Then you have an app and no need for websites or databases.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:10:06 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30370 on: May 03, 2017, 06:34:07 pm »

It had a lot of content in Japanese as well.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30371 on: May 03, 2017, 06:36:10 pm »

I figure that was where people dumped all the raw rips, for later subbing. Just putting raws in there doesn't mean it was a popular place for Japanese people to get their stuff. There are comments sections in nyaa, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone write a comment in Japanese.

And remember, no actual files have been lost because of this, just the tracker. Anything that was unseeded was already lost, new trackers will pop up and they'll have a higher concentration of live seeded items, and a more clear idea of anything that's completely missing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:41:10 pm by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30372 on: May 03, 2017, 06:47:24 pm »

Over half of its traffic came from Japan.
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/nyaa.se
You probably wouldn't see most of the Japanese content unless you searched for it in kana.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30373 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:01 pm »

I figure that was where people dumped all the raw rips, for later subbing. Just putting raws in there doesn't mean it was a popular place for Japanese people to get their stuff. There are comments sections in nyaa, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone write a comment in Japanese.
Wasn't it pretty much the biggest site for games? I mean, they don't do anime the same way we do, but nyaa had a lot of stuff on in that was definitely not for the western market.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30374 on: May 04, 2017, 09:40:56 am »

There's plenty of interest in the west for visual novels and the like, fan translations need to start with raw rips.

PC gaming is niche in Japan, and they have plenty of shops where you can get that stuff fairly cheaply (VN sales drop off pretty quickly so that stuff ends up as bargain-bin material pretty fast), or you could buy or swap those games with other people, and most Japanese who are into that are using consoles anyway. So the subset of Japanese PC gamers who are downloading rips of Japanese games from an English-language site is going to be a pretty damn slim demographic.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:53:06 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2023 2024 [2025] 2026 2027 ... 2193