Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2024 2025 [2026] 2027 2028 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068576 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30375 on: May 05, 2017, 09:40:50 pm »

Finally made time (read: remembered) to watch JoJo. It's like Fist of the North Star but if Ken actually had weaknesses and flaws. Didn't realize how much I wanted that until I actually saw it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30376 on: May 07, 2017, 03:22:37 pm »

Eeh, went to an anime meetup and it was ... akward. The asian members of the group were ok, but the white members were weeb+ with very poor social skills. And I'm a programmer, go to programming meetups, game dev meetups, and also boardgame / rpg meetups. None of those things was as geeky in the awkward way as this anime meetup.

Had a couple of awkwards chats e.g. mentioned Mushishi in passing, a guy said he wouldn't even watch that because there's no good fights or somesuch. I'm just not going to see eye to eye with someone like that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:33:45 pm by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30377 on: May 07, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »

"The maximum penetration of an AP shell was very roughly equal to its caliber; that is, a 14" shell could penetrate up to 14" of armor at likely battle ranges."

USN formula for AP shells against naval armor (naval armor had different chemical compositions compared to other armors for land/air warfare):
T/D = (1728.04)(W/D3)[(V/F)Cos(Ob)]2

T = thickness of the armor
D = diameter of the shell in inches
W = weight in pounds
V = velocity in feet per second
Ob = obliquity in degrees

"The factor F took into account all other effects, including the composition of the armor and deviations from the ideal formula, and the Navy compiled extensive tables of F based on ballistic tests."

I'm looking for these F tables but I haven't found them yet.

"The U.S. Navy anticipated that the Iowas could absorb three torpedo hits with little chance of being sunk (1% chance for one hit, 2% chance for two hits, and 10% chance for three hits.) Thereafter the likelihood of sinking rose rapidly, to 40% for four hits, 70% for five hits, and 90% for six hits. This reflected both the loss of reserve buoyancy and the likelihood of subsequent hits striking close to previous hits, where the underwater protection was already stripped away. The Iowas were considered to have excellent subdivision, suggesting that the odds of survival were significantly less for many other large warships."

Source: http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/A/r/Armor.htm

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30378 on: May 07, 2017, 05:40:56 pm »

Wrong thread GUNIN?  Not sure where battleship armor is being discussed but that is an interesting fact nonetheless.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #30379 on: May 07, 2017, 05:46:43 pm »

Maybe they were watching Haifuri (which is "Girls und Panzer but battleships") :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30380 on: May 07, 2017, 06:16:01 pm »

Whoooops. That's what happens when you want to post about anime but you get distracted by naval research.

I had a post open because I wanted to talk about Island of the Giant Bugs. Lots of really good horror imagery. I was hoping for giant bugs killing the shit out of people and that's exactly what I got. The bugs are so well drawn and do such horrible things to people that I was actually sweating pretty bad whenever the action kicked in. The violence is very real and intense and I enjoy the feeling of visceral, pants-shitting danger that the manga delivers. There's very little downtime between the action scenes and all of it is put to good use pitting the characters against one another. Also there is a lot of rape. Like, a LOT of rape. Mostly humans raping other humans. The main character has a sweet cowboy hat and thankfully has not been raped yet.

Recommended? Yes. Check it out if you're craving some body horror and you can tolerate extremely realistic drawings of bugs. Do not read if you're not prepared for some intense (though realistic, I'd argue) gore every chapter, and creepy rape scenes every 2-5 chapters.

---

I've also been reading Bokko. It's about a martial artist who specializes in defending cities.  Quite realistic with acceptable breaks in reality that are all the sweeter because of it, very little fanservice and not as episodic as I was expecting. The first arc is a truly epic siege and we get to see the suffering of people on both sides, and things move on at just the right time.

Recommended? Yes. Give it a shot if you like tactics and strategy. Don't read if you're not okay with some moderate violence.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:19:26 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30381 on: May 07, 2017, 06:23:39 pm »

Probably my favorite mangas I ever read were Gunnm and Yokohama Kadaisho Kikou, pretty polar opposites, yet both post-apoc sci-fi.

Angel Densetsu was also pretty good, it's a comedy about a timid guy with a horrifying face who becomes the biggest highschool gang boss in town, due to a series of accidents (all the while, he's unaware that there even is a gang which he is part of).

Shout out to Franken Fran too for some dark comedic body horror.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:27:06 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30382 on: May 07, 2017, 06:25:55 pm »

Personally if you like one type of anime you shouldn't like another.

That is how it works right? I mean people say the fact that I like well constructed fight scenes means that I only like fight scenes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30383 on: May 07, 2017, 11:21:25 pm »

Whoooops. That's what happens when you want to post about anime but you get distracted by naval research.

I had a post open because I wanted to talk about Island of the Giant Bugs. Lots of really good horror imagery. I was hoping for giant bugs killing the shit out of people and that's exactly what I got. The bugs are so well drawn and do such horrible things to people that I was actually sweating pretty bad whenever the action kicked in. The violence is very real and intense and I enjoy the feeling of visceral, pants-shitting danger that the manga delivers. There's very little downtime between the action scenes and all of it is put to good use pitting the characters against one another. Also there is a lot of rape. Like, a LOT of rape. Mostly humans raping other humans. The main character has a sweet cowboy hat and thankfully has not been raped yet.

Recommended? Yes. Check it out if you're craving some body horror and you can tolerate extremely realistic drawings of bugs. Do not read if you're not prepared for some intense (though realistic, I'd argue) gore every chapter, and creepy rape scenes every 2-5 chapters.

"mostly"

Given that it's apparently full of giant bugs, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. Some territory is best left for the not safe for life sort of doujin, I think.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30384 on: May 08, 2017, 05:34:17 am »

Probably my favorite mangas I ever read were Gunnm and Yokohama Kadaisho Kikou, pretty polar opposites, yet both post-apoc sci-fi.

Angel Densetsu was also pretty good, it's a comedy about a timid guy with a horrifying face who becomes the biggest highschool gang boss in town, due to a series of accidents (all the while, he's unaware that there even is a gang which he is part of).

Shout out to Franken Fran too for some dark comedic body horror.
Gah, how dare you remind me that we have no idea when we'll get more Zekka!

Dude smacked a giant plant monster so hard it turned into a cherry tree and bloomed.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30385 on: May 08, 2017, 11:11:32 am »

Eeh, went to an anime meetup and it was ... akward. The asian members of the group were ok, but the white members were weeb+ with very poor social skills. And I'm a programmer, go to programming meetups, game dev meetups, and also boardgame / rpg meetups. None of those things was as geeky in the awkward way as this anime meetup.

Had a couple of awkwards chats e.g. mentioned Mushishi in passing, a guy said he wouldn't even watch that because there's no good fights or somesuch. I'm just not going to see eye to eye with someone like that.

I don't understand how supernatural detective/witch doctor isn't a compelling enough character setup for anyone, no matter the setting.

Must have been a poor set.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30386 on: May 08, 2017, 11:18:12 am »

I've never met an anime fan in-person that had good taste. I theorize that all anime fans with good taste, even myself, are just sentient AIs.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30387 on: May 08, 2017, 11:28:17 am »

Eeh, went to an anime meetup and it was ... akward.
That's like saying you went to a cosmetics exhibition and it seemed superficial. Like, what else were you expecting? Stereotypes exist for a reason, and while they may not be universally applicable, common traits are intensified in a group situation where people don't know each other well.

I've never met an anime fan in-person that had good taste. I theorize that all anime fans with good taste, even myself, are just sentient AIs.
I've met a fellow in real life that I could at least talk to a bit about it, but his appreciation of the market was pretty well oriented towards big-name mainstream shows still. I think it's just an issue that it's already kinda niche, and the people who spend the most time on it necessarily have less time to spend on non-digital social pursuits.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30388 on: May 08, 2017, 06:12:46 pm »

You just have to remember that the average anime fan in meatspace (and the bulk of those willing to talk to strangers about anime they like) are the same as the average anime fan on the internet, i.e. a grade-A weeaboo with horrible taste.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30389 on: May 09, 2017, 12:42:00 am »

So... in Dragon Ball Super...

Did that woman learn "Witchcraft" or was that the translator's fiat for trying to translate Daoist Sorcery? (Yin-Yan magic?... dang it had a name)
Pages: 1 ... 2024 2025 [2026] 2027 2028 ... 2193