Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3079863 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #13845 on: May 21, 2013, 11:55:15 pm »

Golden Boy and Inferno Cop, what the hell did i just went into...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13846 on: May 22, 2013, 12:18:14 am »

Golden Boy and Inferno Cop, what the hell did i just went into...

I only know one of those... and Yeah what the heck Tellamurius!?!

If your brain survives... I hope you can still eat cereal the same way.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13847 on: May 22, 2013, 12:21:57 am »

Have you guys ever watched an anime and they started to explain things in fantastical terms (Like the main character is actually from Atlantis) and somehow the more fantastical the explanation the less interesting it is? Like somehow there was more emotional resonance in the most likely scenario and plot development that this unfolding somehow comes off as boring by comparison?

It barely even makes sense to me, but ohh well.

Code Geass did this for me. I mean, it kind of needed to do what it did because of the whole Geass thing, but they could have done that without all of the elevators and swords.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13848 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:03 am »

I read a quote from some author once, wish I could remember who or the exact wording, along the lines that an author "can only tell one lie per work of fiction" (well good fiction at least), e.g. for proper suspension of disbelief, the audience will swallow one fantastical premise no matter how unrealistic, as long as the rest of everything else flows naturally from that premise and common sense. I think this line of thought may be relevant to what Neonevik is talking about, too many unrelated fantastical elements really challenge suspension of disbelief, and start to feel like everything in the show is explained by Deus Ex Machina. It's fine for comedic works to deliberately pile silly ideas on top of each other (which effectively is parodying/subverting well-written works, going against good rules of writing becomes part of the humor), but not for any remotely "serious" work.

Death Note is a good example of a work of fiction that follows this rule: the basic premise of the Death Note's is very simple and easy to comprehend, and the show explores the logical outcomes from that in a pretty sensible way. Occam's Razor might also apply as a concept, less is more - Death Gods write your name in a notebook, no more explanation needed. Sometimes you're better off not bothering with explaining at all, e.g. Death Note vs Code Geass, I still have no idea where and why the Geass came from.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:41:18 am by Reelya »

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13849 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:03 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:02:51 pm by Bronimin »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13850 on: May 22, 2013, 01:51:36 pm »

I've never felt so different before.  Ah I guess we both took 2 months.

I do agree that Kengo and Misato were pretty cool guys, but Misato's stuff in Refrain was incredibly silly.  And I don't think I could get started on Kyousuke...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:55:10 pm by ToonyMan »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13851 on: May 22, 2013, 07:51:49 pm »

I think I have something in my Eye, after reading this manga my eyes are all watery for some reason...
http://mangafox.me/manga/my_young_cat_and_my_old_dog/c001/1.html

Here is a wonderful short chapter manga about Pets and how we live with them and they us. Its quite interesting cause in less then 5 pages you can easily find yourself tearing up like mad one moment, then moments later laughing...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13852 on: May 24, 2013, 07:16:03 pm »

Ugh, if there is one thing that offputs me about anime depictions...

It is always how they depict steak and similar foods. They always look so disgusting.

Do they cook steak in Japan?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:55:44 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13853 on: May 24, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »

No, I don't think they've invented the concept of cooking yet.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13854 on: May 24, 2013, 08:09:14 pm »

*points to the types of expensive special breeds of cows known for being the very best for steaks that originate from japan*
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13855 on: May 24, 2013, 08:11:49 pm »

Sure, but they only have that to make up for the fact that they have to eat them all raw.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13856 on: May 24, 2013, 08:15:33 pm »

Obviously raw steak is far superior to cooked steak, yet another way in which Japanese culture is inestimably superior to our barbaric, primitive Western ways.

Let's see who falls for it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #13857 on: May 26, 2013, 05:40:50 am »

This was heavily recommended to me by a friend. Apparently, the feels are overwhelming. I don't have the time right now to read through it though.

http://mangafox.me/manga/the_friendly_winter/

"A 19 year old girl with a rare growth disorder that leaves her in the body of a small child meets a boy with a mental disorder, who has the mind of a small boy in a 17 year old's body. A Friendly Winter shares with us the endearing story of their day-to-day lives, joys and tribulations."

Updates on manga I've been reading in case anyone cares:

Soul Eater: Mixed parts action and father-son moments. I might have felt more from the whole thing if it didn't take months in between.

Naruto (I keep up with it for conversation's sake with some friends of mine): That was overwhelmingly anti-climactic. I'm sure the fandom is freaking out (and probably killing each other), but for all the tension that's been built up, it was just so... meh.

Rosario + Vampire Season II: GET ON WITH IT ALREADY! I want closure, damnit!

The World Only God Knows: This is a very convoluted plot, and I still don't understand the ramifications. I'm feeling like it's really a long filler because it's so outside the norm.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13858 on: May 28, 2013, 02:17:57 pm »

Why is it that the good guys often just like to act like villains?

"What you were the good guys all along? Oooh no out hubris if only we saw they were so good"

Me: "No, they come up to you. Tried to take your stuff by force, acted like villains, tried killing people for no reason... How were you supposed to know?"

Then IMMEDIATELY once they are found out to be "good guys" suddenly they just stop acting evil. Like it was phase 1 of their plan was to cackle wildly.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13859 on: May 28, 2013, 03:39:24 pm »

Why is it that the good guys often just like to act like villains?

"What you were the good guys all along? Oooh no out hubris if only we saw they were so good"

Me: "No, they come up to you. Tried to take your stuff by force, acted like villains, tried killing people for no reason... How were you supposed to know?"

Then IMMEDIATELY once they are found out to be "good guys" suddenly they just stop acting evil. Like it was phase 1 of their plan was to cackle wildly.

I'd like to ask for examples, cause I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 [924] 925 926 ... 2193