Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs and goblins co-habitating peacefully?  (Read 858 times)

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs and goblins co-habitating peacefully?
« on: December 07, 2008, 03:10:47 pm »

On a whim, I decided to attempt to take down a goblin fortress. So I brought along a bunch of soldiers, and launched an attack. Nothing happened. The dwarves that I station just sit there, the goblins don't even notice them. I'm kind of a newb, so there is probably something that I'm doing wrong, would somebody be so kind as to tell me what it is?
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs and goblins co-habitating peacefully?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 03:26:04 pm »

The dwarves are at peace with Goblins.

Therefore they won't fight.  It's like settling in human town.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:46:07 pm »

Use dwarf companion to set all of them to "From the underworld."
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:07:22 pm »

It's a side effect of the new world gen process, the goblins and the dwarves have little to fight over in world gen so they are almost always at peace when the game starts.

Eventually the goblins will be more warlike and you will start out hostile to them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 06:46:52 pm »

It's a bug in 40d.  Even if you're at war with the goblins, when you embark to a goblin fortress, they're all peaceful.  If you want a skirmish, either use a previous version, or use Dwarf Companion to set them as hostile.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:45:38 pm »

It's a bug in 40d.  Even if you're at war with the goblins, when you embark to a goblin fortress, they're all peaceful.  If you want a skirmish, either use a previous version, or use Dwarf Companion to set them as hostile.

Or actually let the right people know we want this changed back to something that makes sense.

Then again, DF and insanity go hand in hand.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 04:12:37 pm »

It'll probably be fixed in the next release. Worse case, I believe we're supposed to be able to declare wars now.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer