Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Help With the Mayday Tileset...?  (Read 1745 times)

venn177

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Some Help With the Mayday Tileset...?
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:50:33 pm »

I quit Dwarf Fortress back in... May or June, and now I'm getting back into it. I've always loved Mayday's tileset, and for some reason, it's all messed up now. I'm sure it has to do with my resolution being 1024 x 768 when the requirement is 1280 x 1024, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to edit for it to work correctly.

If someone could explain it, I'd be grateful.

Edit: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, not sure where else to put it, though.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Help With the Mayday Tileset...?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 09:55:55 pm »

If your talking about different symbols then I think the default mayday graphics used have been changed. Go to data and art and you'll probably see that theres some new models. Change the font and fullfont to curses_800x600.bmp and the graphics_font and the graphics_fullfont to square_16x16.bmp. At least I think this should fix it. If not I'll post the init file of mine and that should work.

venn177

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 10:09:06 pm »

"Note 3: DFG REQUIRES A SCREEN RESOLUTION OF 1280x1024 PIXELS! If you want to play on a smaller vertical resolution, you have to edit the data/init/init.txt accordingly. Subdivide the desired resolution by 16 to get the number of tiles (currently 64)."

If you could just explain how to do that, I'd be grateful, I think.

venn177

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 10:23:28 pm »

Not sure the rule on double posts here, if you guys are really strict about it, I'm sorry.

I was just wondering, are there ANY good tilesets that don't require a resolution greater than 1024 x 768?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:27:35 pm »

Okay, here's the deal.  DF has to display at least 80 horizontal tiles.  The width of the Mayday tiles is 16.  DF can squash the Mayday tiles so that it can fit 80 on your screen, but it will look like garbled crap.  If you don't like garbled crap, the Mayday set will not work out for your monitor.  You'll probably want to start with a vanilla copy of DF and follow these directions: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tilesets#Overview_and_installation

You'll probably want to download a 12x12 character set and a 12x12 graphics set.

e: yes, there are decent looking 12x12 sets.  I recommend this character set and this graphics set.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:30:44 pm by Footkerchief »

venn177

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »

Thanks a ton. Will post results most likely including complaining, although I hope not to.

Sounds good, but uhh... could you recommend some good character set and graphics set?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:30:38 pm by venn177 »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:45:57 pm »

e: yes, there are decent looking 12x12 sets.  I recommend this character set and this graphics set.

In case you didn't see this edit, due to me editing after your last post.

venn177

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:48:37 pm »

Haha. You edited six seconds after me. What the hell. :3

Wait, I'm confused as to which ones you're linking me to. The links are taking me to Xenomorph and Deep Qantas: Expanded. Is that right?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:51:19 pm by venn177 »

venn177

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:46:52 am »

Well with the help of a couple of friends, I'm now just getting this error with Mayday's tileset:

http://i36.tinypic.com/i1xxc8.jpg

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 03:29:45 am »

Haha. You edited six seconds after me. What the hell. :3

Wait, I'm confused as to which ones you're linking me to. The links are taking me to Xenomorph and Deep Qantas: Expanded. Is that right?

Those links go to Herrbdog's 12x12 charset and Sphr and Markavian's 12x12 graphics set.  Those are the ones I recommend, anyway.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 08:29:24 am »

"Note 3: DFG REQUIRES A SCREEN RESOLUTION OF 1280x1024 PIXELS! If you want to play on a smaller vertical resolution, you have to edit the data/init/init.txt accordingly. Subdivide the desired resolution by 16 to get the number of tiles (currently 64)."

If you could just explain how to do that, I'd be grateful, I think.

Here you go:
Dwarf Fortress Custom Grid Calculator
PS.
If your display res. is 1024x768, you should use a tileset which is smaller than 16x16, because minimum 80 tiles must be displayed horizontally. [..and 80x16=1280].