Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress in the future?  (Read 3288 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress in the future?
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:13:18 pm »

http://www.g4g.it/phpnews/images/DWARF_FORTRESS_iso_01.jpg

WOW....
just...wow.

How far in the future do you think it will be until this ^ becomes a reality?
5 years?
10?

A game were everything is simulated, from the smallest fluffy wambler, to the biggest titan.
A game that resembles artificial intelligence.

[size=36]THIS.IS.DWARF F-[/size]
Woose1 cancels rant; interupted by foot.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress in the future?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 03:19:51 pm »

I think it would be awesome to see DF kinda like that.

Hopefully it's not -too- long until that, though I assume Toady would want the game actually finished before he even considers stuff like that.

Maybe when the game is out of alpha he can make some adoring fan add a graphic pack like that. I say a graphic pack because some people really enjoy the ASCII graphics. >.>
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:30:18 pm »

The presentation arc is before version 1, I am not entirely sure what is planned for that though. I imagine toady isnt sure either. But isometric sprites are not impossible
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:31:36 pm »

The difficult part would be allowing it to show multiple Z-levels at once, as well as being able to see underground without the whole thing going screwy.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

accent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:48:27 pm »

DF seems to need a lot of optimizing before something like that should become a high priority to accomplish. I'm no expert on programming but you'd think a game that looks like this - as complicated and freeform by content as it is - should be at least a little bit faster on modern machines? Besides, I remember reading Toady himself saying something like that.

Open source might speed the project up a lot or create many side projects with better graphics (wishful thinking)  ::)

I personally don't mind the graphics as they are now, though. There are some excellent character- and tilesets out there, after all.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:12 pm »

Judging by graphical complexity, one would also expect SolidWorks to run faster than Quake II.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

_Acorn_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 09:02:12 pm »

I'd like to see DF in the Quake 2 engine  ;D

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 08:49:48 am »

In terms of graphics I don't mind the ascii that much but its so god damn small I easily confuse symbols. I use mike may day's tileset which helps in that concern but just the size still makes me confuse green stone with turtles on a regular basis. Now I know its possible to make tiles bigger and fiddle with the grid size overall but that reduces the size of the area you can see too much personally.

Anywho for the future, A zoom would be nice rather then the intense scrolling all over the place. The isometric view would allow the player to see "deeper" on a smaller screen area although DF has ALOT of characters which could be problematic with tile overlay, see half an animal behind a tree, its probably a horse... holy crap where did this minautor come from?! If isometric is adopted the 2-d Ascii would become quite akward so I'm not entirely sure Toady would go for that and even if he did I can't see multiple z-levels being displayed simulataneously cause of the tile overlay once again. If this game is to be marketed though some sort of graphic overall version is likely to come out although its free right now and may stay so :).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:00:16 am »

Whoa this is so funny! In every ~second month, someone finds this image, and makes a topic about it.  ;D
Check out this topic:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5582.0

The artist who runs this site -> http://spriteattack.cator.de ..has made that mockup.
Here is it:
http://spriteattack.cator.de/df/show/

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:30:35 am »

Whoa this is so funny! In every ~second month, someone finds this image, and makes a topic about it.  ;D
Check out this topic:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5582.0

The artist who runs this site -> http://spriteattack.cator.de ..has made that mockup.
Here is it:
http://spriteattack.cator.de/df/show/
Heh....
Ya I knew about this image for a while, just didn't know EVERYONE knew about it. my freind was actually the one to tell me.

crazycarlt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:18 pm »

graphics options of all sorts (hot-changeable, even!) would be very nice.

As far as seeing underground, simple.

You take the current z-level and search for ones above and below that don't have overlapping features, then display those parts. The image is a great example. It shows several z-levels, a brook, etc, that dont' overlap from the perspective of the camear.

Imagine you made a tunnel. Well, the z-level above overlaps with it because it's solid rock.

For eye candy though, make the sides of that big chunk of 'visible' ground act as walls of a building. So if the tunnel under the land you can see intersects with the 'visible' area's wall, then show a few tiles from it, like a cutaway of a subway or something, just to remind you that it's there and to look cool.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:54:48 pm »

I'm really just waiting until Dwarf Fortress can be run using the human brain.

I'm ambivalent about how fancy I want the visual interface to be, though. Do I really need naked dwarven queens beamed directly into my brain? I don't think so.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

DavesWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:25 am »

Gameplay > Graphics
Toady is hopefully well on his way to reminding the game developing community of this lost fact.  DF is an amazingly deep game experience.  Best game I've played since the likes of original Civilization and Populous.  Easily in my top ten of all-time games.  However ... :)

I'd seriously like some major optimization of the program; it slows down something fierce once you start stacking dwarves up.  I honestly get a little sad looking at the dev log and seeing new features being emplaced; more processing cycles flowing away, slower and slower running.  :(  Flows are right out on my machine; they take WAY too many cycles to figure out.  :(

It'd also be nice if job selection would stay confined to an area as well; engravers and miners should finish out a room before moving on, or at least give preference to work tiles NEXT to them vs scampering way across the map to work there, then running back, then running back, then ...  I don't always want, or have time to, watch them constantly, painting a few tiles at a time for them to work on, to ensure they get done sometime this season.

I'd also very much like the option to set rock jobs by type of rock (you can for metal, why not for masons and mechanics and crafters?), so I can stop having to forbid large areas, clear out Z-levels above and below and so forth.  There are all these hoops I have to jump through just to get *most* of my rock jobs done with the rock I want, it's a bit annoying sometimes.  And for decorations/encrusting, again it'd be nice if you could tell it what to encrust (i.e., encrust only certain materials and/or quality levels).  It's a pain to have to set up a special stockpile/workshop complex in an isolated corner of the map just to be reasonably sure the jewelers and crafters are going to decorate the expensive gold and platinum furniture vs the slate shite!

Nobles demanding things that don't exist, can't exist, on your map; very very annoying.  So far, not naming any justice officers lets the 'justice' not happen; otherwise it's pretty damned annoying to have carefully trained up dwarves slain for no good reason.  Killing over a lack of a window!  Extreme.  I hope leaving the Capt'n o't Guard slot blank feature never gets fixed!  Nobles should only demand things that are possible; one demand category for possibles, another demand category for things that are possible via importation, perhaps.

Artifacts are kinda in the same category; I turn them off because it's random, and seems mostly to lead to dead/insane (same difference) dwarves.  Though both nobles and artifacts have led me to a habit of always requesting certain builder block metals (tin, nickel, etc...) and types of food (turtles and lobsters for shells) just to have those things on hand.

Why can't you request glass items from the caravan?  Or did I miss it?  Hell, just plain old sand bags.  Let me fill in a price, I'll pay thousands of times the going rate for sand on some maps, just so I can get the duchess to SHUT UP about the window she wants.
I'm not proud of it, but we've run out of coffins
 - Robocorn, at the fortress of Battlefailed -

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 03:29:31 pm »

I'd seriously like some major optimization of the program; it slows down something fierce once you start stacking dwarves up.  I honestly get a little sad looking at the dev log and seeing new features being emplaced; more processing cycles flowing away, slower and slower running.  :(  Flows are right out on my machine; they take WAY too many cycles to figure out.  :(

You do know there is work done right now to improve how fast DF runs, right?  Just check this thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

DavesWorld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 05:19:54 pm »

Aye, running d7, using partial print, all current drivers (including motherboard and cpu drivers/bios) updated, and checking that thread daily.  Still ... man ... very slow once a fort gets interesting. :(
I'm not proud of it, but we've run out of coffins
 - Robocorn, at the fortress of Battlefailed -
Pages: [1] 2