Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do war animals breed?  (Read 772 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
do war animals breed?
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:57:02 pm »

do war animals breed? if so why not just assaign all animals to war?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: do war animals breed?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:23:01 pm »

Yes they do and there's no reason not to. Except maybe training times and food usage.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:25:49 pm »

Its been some time since I've messed around with training animals, but IIRC trained animals cannot be set to be adopted as a pet, or set to be butchered from the animals list.

Of course you can assign trained animals to a particular dwarf but I don't recall if they get the happy thoughts of a pet from assigned animals. Trained animals can still individually be set to be butchered from the 'v' menu but it requires individually locating each one you want slaughtered.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:32:27 am »

Yeah they do, even if you have only 2... a male and a female ..and they never ever meet in their lifetime...they must be on your map only basically -> physical contact isn't needed. Basically we have "Psychological breeding" in DF, but it works.  ;D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:22:35 am »

Setting all your dogs as wardogs (except for the few hunting dogs) is often a great fortress defense strategy and has been known to fend off fortress breaches

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 04:23:56 pm »

Starting off with a ton of war dogs is a great idea, untill they start making puppies. I don't know how many puppies I watch die in Goblin Ambushes being heros like their parents. I still giggle every time I watch a puppy fly across the map from a macelord...

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:51:49 pm »

Of course you also get funny/cool/disturbing situations like when a female war dog gives birth mid-battle and the puppies join in.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Frag_Dad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »

Haha that's awesome - pups come flying straight out of the womb towards the goblin's necks with teeth bared. Fantastic mental images  ;D
..........., Recruit, has been struck down  x20

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:06:17 am »

I  find war dogs occasionally pull off something that makes them useful, but most of the time there'll be too slow, in the wrong place, won't have the sense to avoid unwinnable fights, make their owners unhappy when they die, and get killed off in droves in any serious fighting. In a genuinely dangerous biome I often find my dogs are dead by the end of the first year.