Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary inviduals promoted to deities and deity legends  (Read 1034 times)

Mikko

Legendary inviduals promoted to deities and deity legends
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:19:23 am »

I think this would be awesome.

Think about it. Maybe a legendary person could become a son of gods, suns, wolves, titans or a real god in a civilization's legends, and that civilization would spread the word and worship him.

Also I would like to see more detailed information about deities, such as their holy scripts and history of this God, does this religion believe in afterlife or lifecycle etc. etc.?

Did you get my point?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary inviduals promoted to deities and deity legends
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:30:52 am »

BLASPHEMER!!!

YOUR KIND IS NOT WELCOME!!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:33:25 am »

Why would someone suddenly be proclaimed to be the son of a god simply because they become the best at searching for herbs?

Also Foa your post isn't very constructive :(

Mikko

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:40:12 am »

Why would someone suddenly be proclaimed to be the son of a god simply because they become the best at searching for herbs?

Elves. Think about it.

Also, we could add limitations for those skills that races think worthy for promoting.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:18:40 am »

Did you get my point?

Yes, but I don't like it to be honest.  ;D
Seriously why should legendaries become deities? This is making no sense. Just think about Howard's Conan the legendary, fighting machine übermensch for example. He became a deity?

Mikko

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:22:29 am »

Jesus... woops no. Umm... Well, I have no examples to give to you. Sorry.
Did you like the second one?

Another suggestion: Polytheistic religions.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 10:05:34 am »

That is already in the game.

I the dwarves don't just follow Armok, they follow the gods, there's one about puzzles, gems, fertility...

So, do you get my point?

And there is a religious challenge, kill all of the blasphemers, but you may need to pick the patron god.
It's so much like real life, including the devious plots to become the only one, and the other one that just eats your money, and makes you a slave OR ELSE!!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:08:14 am by Foa »

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 10:11:28 am »

What if individuals that do a number of legendary tasks start being worshipped? After the fifth dragon or so, people are sure to start wondering.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 10:15:39 am »

What if individuals that do a number of legendary tasks start being worshipped? After the fifth dragon or so, people are sure to start wondering.
But you need all legendary social/trader skills to become the legend.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:54:46 am »

There was a discussion in another forum about megabeasts being promoted to diety status and reincarnating when killed, such that you would have to kill all of their followers in order to truly defeat them... adding a perfect challenge for the army arc.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mikko

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:05:51 pm »

That is already in the game.
Currently, the cities and temples in the game are dedicated to only one god.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 03:06:28 pm »

I really like this suggestion a lot. It means that there are at least two levels above legendary, but non which can simply be gained by experience.

Say a legendarily skilled dwarf performs some feats that not only require skill but also are recognised as simply outstanding and magnificent (an axedwarf mauling an entire army, whatever) he would become a "paragon", and as such he could be noticed in earnest by the deities. As such he could be imbued with the divine as an "avatar" or taken into the heavenly realms.

This would be even more interesting if >legendaries would be less and less controllable, you'd no longer be able to reassign tasks to them, they might start making demands, any misfortune of theirs might cause negative thoughts among the other dwarves, etc.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 03:24:22 pm »

I'm only for this idea if it goes along with the "change the skills up to legendary+5 to end at grand master, only artifact creators and military dwarves with a high number of  'points'" (from notable kills, such that gobbo wrestlers are worth less than gobbo weapon users, who are worth less than dragons, etc.) get legendary. Otherwise I'd have a lot off legendary miners making mandates by season one.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 03:34:40 pm »

well, in a no-deities world, you've got two more options.  Being famous enough for stuff starts to give you extra abilities with that stuff.  (The more engravings there are of you doing stuff, the more power you've got.)  At a certain point, that power transcends death, and the actually can 'come back' as a deity.   (even if you've been dead for a while).  The concept does lack something of a demi-god/mythic hero rank.  Even better if they don't come back so much as just become available for deityhood (with or without the power boost).

Another interesting one is that after a character becomes famous enough, myths start being generated.  (In this year Bob slew the ravenous bugblatter beast of trall, but a search of the legends shows that the bugblatter beast is a mythical creature.)