Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Jewler activities  (Read 1332 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
More Jewler activities
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:41:21 pm »

I've noticed that my Jewelers don't really end up doing much, gems are rare (as they should be) and you can easily process all your gems with a single jeweler.  Most of my immigrant jewelers just become de-facto haulers as they have nothing else to do.

I propose the following fixes,

Make the gem cutting and encrusting process take longer but have a higher value production, currently rough gems are a modifier of 3 and cut are 5 which will mean only +8 total value from cutting the lowest quality value 2 gems and at best +120 from cutting the most precious gems.  Raise the cut gem multiplier to at least 7, the large gems could be in excess of 20 multiplier due to their great rarity.  Raising gem material values would help as well.  The difference between rough and cut gem vales has always been very large because of the time and skill required.

Allow Jewlers to make a limited set of metal crafts, at a minimum things like rings, amulets and other jewelry like constructions.  These objects would no longer be built at the crafts shop which is not equipped for such delicate and intricate crafting, goblets, and toys are still crafted their though.  If necessary this activity could be spun off into a new profession 'Jewelery Smith' which would work only with metal at the jewelery shop or a new 'Jewelry smith' shop.

Jewelers or the new Jewel Smiths could only work with metals that have a [JEWELERY] tag associated with them all the alloys of Gold and Silver along with the Pewters and a few other choice metals such as copper which are very soft would have this tag.  No fuel would be consumed to make these crafts because the metals can be worked cold or at stove-top temperatures in very small quantities.  These metals would still be used by the forge to make bulky items like coffins and tables and their might still be a fuel cost their to reflect the fact that these items are so much larger. 

Move coin making from the forge to the jewelry or Jewelry Smith shop (or perhaps its now better to name it the mint).  Coins would be made only from the Jewelery metals (not hard coded though, I'd add a new [COIN] tag to metals to do this).  And again this labor would be performed by the hypothetical Jewelry Smith or as a fall back the Gem Setter.  If someone wanted to implement Iron coins then they would be made at the forge because Iron isn't a [JEWELERY] tagged metal which makes all crafting default to their.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:21:27 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More Jewler activities
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:23:41 pm »

I like a lot of this.  Especially the [Jewelry] tag and the jewelry crafts at the jewelers.

I don't know how I feel about the mint functions.  It fits for game balance but not so much thematically...

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:34:50 pm »

excellent suggestion: as I was reading I kept thinking " and then do this". The next line I read it said "and do what you were just thinking".

All very well balanced, and should make the jewelry smith an actual profession, conceivably actually having more than one worker in a fort that cranks out silver and sardonyx rings.

Not sure about the mint idea, however, as I've always wanted that to be a dedicated workshop itself.

I'd also add the [Jewelry] tag to bones, shells, and some rare woods.

To elaborate a bit, I'd also want workshop interface a bit different (to conform to game standards)...

(C)ut Gem
  • Breaks down a list of all rough gems, including quantity

(S)et Gem
  • First Breaks down a list of all cut gems with quantity, and then has another menu for item type: Weapon, Armor, Jewelry, and Furniture (do we really need ammo?)

(I)nlay Item
  • First has all [Jewelry] tagged metals present, bones, shells, and decorative materials + quantity, then another menu of item type (as above)

(M)ake Jewelry
  • First has all [Jewelry] materials as above, then a list of earrings, rings, crowns, scepters etc.

So to make a nice crown from scratch you'd load up:
Make Platinum Crown
Inlay - Gold - Jewelry
Cut Blue Diamond
Encrust - Blue Diamond - Jewelry
Cut Sapphire (x3)
Encrust - Sapphire - Jewelry (x3)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:51:41 pm »

I agree that this would be nice to add; it might make metal crafting obsolete, however... I'd be perfectly fine with shifting metal crafts to a jeweler's workshop, however, and putting chains rightfully under Blacksmithing.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:33:31 pm »

I'm not sure what effect you want to see from that?  If you want to see those materials used by the Jewelry smith and turned into rings, crowns, amulets etc then I disagree the Jewelry smith is a metal crafter and the skill would not translate into different materials like bone and wood, it would also steal the thunder of the bone and wood crafters.

Perhaps the meaning of the [JEWELRY] tag would be better represented by calling it [COLD_WORKABLE] or [SOFT], the primary thing it dose is allow you to craft without using fuel.  The Jewelery Smith is limited to working with only these metals.  It might still be possible to make an Iron amulet or steel ring but that would be done by the Metal Crafter not that their should be any real incentive to make such things.

Theirs some concern that these changes would leave the Metal Crafter with nothing to do, while it dose remove the coin job it leaves in place a lot of other trade goods that would be made of base metals such as goblets, instruments, toys, flasks and myriad other things which will be added in the future.  I could see 'table ware' (plates + utensils) used to enhance dining rooms, 'canteen' a metal water skin equivalent, 'lamp' (fill with oil for illumination) along with moving metal buckets to Metal Crafter.  Basically any item not commonly made by hammering at an anvil, much of which would have fallen under the historical definition of 'Tinsmith' or 'Coppersmith' named for metals that soft but not used for jewelry.  I also agree with moving chains to Blacksmithing.

I'm also thinking that studding might fall under Jewelry Smith as it already takes no fuel one of the principle characteristics of the new profession and is inherently a delicate process more in like with Jewelry production.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:00:36 pm »

The studs themselves should be produced on a forge - if the metalcrafter doesn't do it, the blacksmith has to. Armorsmithing is very specialized. The leatherworker should fasten them to the leather.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:48:45 pm »

I'm not sure what effect you want to see from that?  If you want to see those materials used by the Jewelry smith and turned into rings, crowns, amulets etc then I disagree the Jewelry smith is a metal crafter and the skill would not translate into different materials like bone and wood, it would also steal the thunder of the bone and wood crafters.

Perhaps the meaning of the [JEWELRY] tag would be better represented by calling it [COLD_WORKABLE] or [SOFT], the primary thing it dose is allow you to craft without using fuel.  The Jewelery Smith is limited to working with only these metals.  It might still be possible to make an Iron amulet or steel ring but that would be done by the Metal Crafter not that their should be any real incentive to make such things.

I think the point of the jewelry tag was more to define stuff jewelry can be made out of.  AKA if it has the jewelry tag, you can make rings and earings and whatnot out of them.  (Ok, so a diamon necklace or pendant still needs the chain, but if gems have jewelry and so do the precious metals and bone, then you add the jewlery tag and get [material] necklace.)  May not be what the OP meant, but I like it.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 08:22:55 pm »

What would this accomplish beyond trivializing metal crafting?

Sure, move metal crafting to jeweler labor group, makes sense. The skills in the game are called gem cutting and gem setting though, neither of which really has anything directly to do with fashioning the jewelry itself

I do like the cold working idea

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:56:24 pm »

What would this accomplish beyond trivializing metal crafting?

Sure, move metal crafting to jeweler labor group, makes sense. The skills in the game are called gem cutting and gem setting though, neither of which really has anything directly to do with fashioning the jewelry itself

I do like the cold working idea

Fair 'nuff... Maybe the issue is as much poor prioritization of duties (small fort should easily be able to handle all gem tasks and something else besides) as it is not enough for every job to do?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 09:15:19 pm »

The skills in the game are called gem cutting and gem setting though, neither of which really has anything directly to do with fashioning the jewelry itself

Umm.. thats why I proposed a new 'Jewelry Smith' profession which indeed would fall under the green-shirted Jeweler category and would perform work only with precious metals turning them into rings, crowns and similar items.  Did you miss that part?

I'd even agree with you that if these tasks were removed from Metal Crafting and nothing was added it would be debase the profession but as I said more metal craft able items will likely be introduced to balance that out.  And remember their are already WAY worse professions like those damn fish dissectors, I mean seriously FISH DISSECTOR as a profession?? What was Toady Smoking that day?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:19:58 pm by Impaler[WrG] »

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 12:49:09 am »

It wouldn't be so bad if the game actually had fish with useful extracts. At least liquid fire is valuable. Wish the damn traps worked better though, having to rebuild them constantly and losing entire stacks of meat as bait sucks

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

I admit that jewlery is a bit underwhelming at the moment. The only problem is that legendary gem setters are overpowered as hell right now. With mine, who is at legendary +5, even cut value x2 gems are able to add absurd value to items... Right now I have, with just gems naturally found, quite a few narrow goblin items worth around 15k before merchant bonuses because of all the x20 original value gems I found.