Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sand snakes  (Read 960 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
sand snakes
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:38:27 am »

I was thinking about some of the cool color effects out there and I just whipped this off of the top of my head.

creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

body
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This should create a tile of snakes that appears only in warm sand deserts, yet chameleonizes itself to look the exact same color as the tile beneath it. As its tile is the ≈, the same tile as sand, this should make it nigh invisible to the player until his dwarves start running away in fear. It has paralyzing venom, and appears in groups of five to ten, with large amounts showing up on your map at a time and overall. It also is a large predator, with a size of 8, meaning it should also attack dwarves, humans, and elves with no hesitation. I am a little worried about the body, though, as it is essentially creating three bodies in a single tile and will probably glitch horribly/create weird effects when tried.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: sand snakes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:43:37 am »

Had a simliar ide befor. I tried to make a rat swarm, my swarm failed but I didn't have any good knowledge about bodies so yours may work:)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:52:25 am »

You should make it so that there just a slightly diferant colour, that way there not completely invisable but can only be seen if you watch carfuly.
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:20:41 am »

You should make it so that there just a slightly diferant colour, that way there not completely invisable but can only be seen if you watch carfuly.
Can't be done. The "chameleon effect" is due to a weird hack in the color code - it can only mimic the underlying tile. Besides, how "slightly different" could you make it when you only have 16 colors to work with?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:10:20 pm »

How about using '~' instead? Enough to be hard to see but not invisible. It would look like rippling or flowing sand- like something's moving underneath it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:47:29 pm »

Cool.  My next DF is going to be slightly modded (orcs), and I'll probably add these in just for the hell of it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 05:44:34 pm »

Still it's treated like a single creature so triple bodies idea is not working.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 11:01:01 pm »

It is set up to be three bodies though, so if the body does work, than there will be three snakes in a single tile that mystically share a blood supply and have mind links that mean when one is nauseated the others are too. I am going to be testing this now that I have a chance.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:45:26 am »

Tested and so far it has worked! The three bodies work, though there is a slight problem with attacking. However, my first two adventurers were both smothered by groups of invisible snakes that ambushed me. It sure looks scary when you run out of the sand only to have it appear to chase after you.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:15:05 am »

Put on your energy shields, and your moisture suits. Were going past the shield wall.

I want these.