Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mercenary companies  (Read 1901 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary companies
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 02:57:42 pm »

The one thing I usually don't like about the Theives guild is that they are always presented as some sort of weird quasi-official guild... Sometimes even being legally official!!!

If there is ever a thieves guild then it should be what it truely is... Organised Criminals forcing low down crooks out of their money and fighting with other Theives guilds.

Heck why even bother calling them Thieves guilds?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:59:50 pm by Neonivek »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 03:32:01 pm »

I like the idea of mercenaries, but more in the sense of a small core of stonehearted veterans providing brief and bloody employment for an expendable horde of desperate ne'er-do-wells such as your average adventurer.  Even an elite mercenary unit wouldn't have the notion of rising from apprentice to master that is found in a guild.

I don't agree. Even ordinary peasants should form mercenary bands. I also don't agree with your "numbers". I see no problem with having bigger mercenary bands...but again, if we gonna have this mercenary feature, it should be controllable in the RAWs.
Some examples:
- turn the feature on/off
- min. and max. number of mercenary bands / world
- min. and max. number of units / mercenary groups
- "templates": what kind of creatures can be in the same mercenary group

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

I keep thinking of the mercs in the Drizzt books. They kept changing sides, sometimes in the middle of important battles.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 04:27:51 pm »

I can picture Mercenary companies hiring Semimegabeasts especially since Semimegabeasts arn't all that powerful and I have no idea if that will change.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 05:38:34 pm »

... I'll say it again.  Forget D&D and look to Italian history and the Condottieri

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 04:24:57 am »

I like the idea of mercenaries, but more in the sense of a small core of stonehearted veterans providing brief and bloody employment for an expendable horde of desperate ne'er-do-wells such as your average adventurer.  Even an elite mercenary unit wouldn't have the notion of rising from apprentice to master that is found in a guild.
That's just a guild with higher turnover.  Sure, many people won't rise through the ranks on account of being dead, but those members of the horde who do survive could eventually be promoted to leadership positions based on seniority and experience.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 04:34:59 am »

You know what i think would be awesome? Instead of killing minotaurs and giants and stuff you recruit them into your mercenary band.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 08:32:12 am »

You know what i think would be awesome? Instead of killing minotaurs and giants and stuff you recruit them into your mercenary band.

Yeah, that would be awesome indeed...but again, monsters like minotaurs are intelligent enough to act as a mercenary? Perhaps....either way, like I've said we must be able to change the mercenary system via editing the RAWs, if it ever gets implemented.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 01:58:58 pm »

I'm still hoping for multi-racial townes. The world gen reports show humans living in dwarf settlements and so on, why can't I have some elven lumberjacks and maybe a minotaur door guard?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2]