Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mercenary companies  (Read 1904 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mercenary companies
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:36:47 am »

Perhaps it's just because I've been reading The Black Company recently, but I've been thinking of the things mercenary companies could add to Dwarf Fortress -- not just individual mercenaries, but companies of mercenaries that act as their own faction, available for hire.

Naturally, fortresses, factions, and towns could hire them for muscle, defense, to put down a rebellion -- whatever.

But it would also be a faction that would be relatively simple to let players control in Fortress mode -- pretty much like collecting a big group of drunks and assorted companions nowadays, but somewhat more organized, and you'd look for different types of work (they might also expect to be paid -- you'd have to handle your company's work.)

Of course, leading a mercenary company wouldn't be like adventuring on your own.  When you arrive in a settlement, people will react to the fact that you're basically a small army -- they might abandon their town and hide in the forest, or they might lock the gates.  Disaffected youths might want to join.

You would be offered different sorts of missions as a mercenary company, too.  Killing megabeasts, of course, but also fighting in wars, punishing cities, everything that players hire mercenary companies for...  all those things.  You might sign a longer-term contract, rather than just taking one mission, and join in a war on a specific side.

Mercenary companies would earn their own reputation.  If you regularly slaughter innocents and are cruel to defeated enemies, people would fear you (which might have advantages.)  If you win a lot, they'll fear and respect you.  If you lose battles, you'll find it hard to get work.  And so on.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary companies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:23:21 am »

The Black Company is great. The classic game-duology Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth II: Soulblighter were basically based off of it. (There was no Myth III.) How far have you gotten?

Your post... yes, that's a pretty good idea. Some elements are already in the works for the Army Arc, but by no means all the specifics. So, some day, this could be a nifty thing to implement.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:33:25 am »

Mercenaries has been suggested already, and I love the idea of course. [Since IIRC it was me who suggested it ~2 years ago  ;D]
Just a note: Captured humanoids would be an excellent "mercenary material". The other possibility: slave soldiers.  :)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:02:22 am »

Hell, we might have towns, cities or kingdoms with no standing militia or army, just mercenaries. In fact, it was common to have your army be MADE of mercenaries in midevial times, as letting your lords (who constantly squabble with each other) raise their own armies is just asking for them to start fighting each other over petty things and waste your manpower.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:12:02 am »

Hell, we might have towns, cities or kingdoms with no standing militia or army, just mercenaries. In fact, it was common to have your army be MADE of mercenaries in midevial times, as letting your lords (who constantly squabble with each other) raise their own armies is just asking for them to start fighting each other over petty things and waste your manpower.

Sure..mercenary camps? Sounds pretty cool to me.  :)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:31:47 am »

Great, I was going to start the Belgra..Beleg... the Eddings book but now I've got to go get that copy of the Black Company that I never started.
You bastard. :)
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 11:13:29 am »

The Belgariad is good too, sure. Not as good, but well worth the time.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 11:19:28 am »

No mention of Italy?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 11:27:53 am »

If Mercenaries are their own faction, they should also be able to be employed by the enemy.  I'm imaging a crack team of steel-wearing goblin mercenaries that are hired by the elves you're waring with to sneak in and do their dirty work. 

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 12:02:30 pm »

I'm imaging a crack team of steel-wearing goblin mercenaries that are hired by the elves you're waring with to sneak in and do their dirty work. 

...By offering their services to your own fortress in order to wage war on the Elves. You get double the Gold, with zero the effort!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 12:20:11 pm »

If Mercenaries are their own faction, they should also be able to be employed by the enemy.  I'm imaging a crack team of steel-wearing goblin mercenaries that are hired by the elves you're waring with to sneak in and do their dirty work. 

I absolutely agree...the AI should also use mercenaries of course.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 12:26:35 pm »

I fully support mercenary companies (Heck Companies in general)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 12:30:45 pm »

Haha, the first thing I thought when I read the thread title was "Black Company"

I like the idea, especially commanding a mercenary group.

I see community mercenary armies being the next big thing. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 12:35:34 pm »

Actually when I first read "Black Company" I thought he was refering to the one in Oblivion which was a Mercenary Company that was actually outdoing the Fighter's Guild.

Guilds and Companies have very little difference between them EXCEPT that guilds are based off of getting a monopoly. (Though companies have been known to be just as evil in the same way... Such as the East India Company)

So I guess a Mercenary/Adventurer/Fighter Company/Guild could end up hating your adventurer if he goes around helping people without paying the Company/Guild. They could end up trying to kill/maim/injure you and possibly hire assasines.

Heck the Merchant Guild/company, who would be hand in hand with the mercenary guild/company, could probably be forced not to willingly sell you anything unless you barge right into headquarters and threaten/bribe/blackmail/help the owner.

Wow, this is starting to sound even better.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 01:04:11 pm »

I like the idea of mercenaries, but more in the sense of a small core of stonehearted veterans providing brief and bloody employment for an expendable horde of desperate ne'er-do-wells such as your average adventurer.  Even an elite mercenary unit wouldn't have the notion of rising from apprentice to master that is found in a guild.

Guilds in the D&D sense are kind of a beaten-to-death conceit anyway.  Crafters' guilds of course have a place, but I hope nothing as cliched as a thieves' guild ends up in DF.
Pages: [1] 2