Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: megabeast rulers  (Read 2913 times)

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
megabeast rulers
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:04:38 pm »

ive seen a few threads now where a titan has become the ruler of a populace and such..    when things are tossed out into the raws more in the coming versions, i would love to be able to DESIGNATE some kind of creature (demon or megabeast) as the ruling creature for a civilization...    IE, elves that are slaves to a dragon, humans that are ruled by a titan, dwarves that are lorded after by a spirit of fire...   things like that.

perhaps a tag along the lines of:
[MEGABEAST_RULER:<type from creature raws>,<%chance for it happening at start of worldgen>]

random passing thought.   thanks for reading

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: megabeast rulers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:17:08 pm »

Usually when Toady speaks about putting a Megabeast in a commanding possition he refers to as a leader of a cult.

I definately at one point would like to see (semi)megabeasts as leaders of possibly whole civilisations.

Selecting a megabeast for a civilisation however doesn't make sense that why bother making the raw megabeast specific? Why not any creature?

It would be interestesting to see civilisations having non-sentient creatures as a leader... It has happened before... but it is odd

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:12:21 am »

I think that goblins already have this tag...

what you are suggesting is functionally equivilent to the 'make goblins always at war with the dwarves' suggestions:  Take what amounts to a fluid and randomly developed game world and put shackles around some possibilities.

I guess I feel that the answer isn't 'make a civ of slaves with a dragon ruler' but 'give dragons the ability to enslave others to the point that it has a civ of them'.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:28:54 am »

It would be interestesting to see civilisations having non-sentient creatures as a leader... It has happened before...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
what you are suggesting is functionally equivilent to the 'make goblins always at war with the dwarves' suggestions:  Take what amounts to a fluid and randomly developed game world and put shackles around some possibilities.
I think he's suggesting that sometimes you want to tweak a specific situation and sometimes affixing something, like woodland elves is appropriate. Based on fantasy literature and RPGs most races should have half their tags assigned either randomly or by biome. Now that I think about it, having the dwarves turn ugly because of a preponderance of nasty gods is a pretty cool idea...

dwarves that are lorded after by a spirit of fire...
You so don't want the king comming.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 11:33:39 am »

dwarves that are lorded after by a spirit of fire...
You so don't want the king comming.

why not?   losing is fun...    *evil grin*

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:50:47 pm »

All you have to do is add the tag [POWER] to all non-sentient creatures, and then edit the raws so that all Civilizations accept as their leader anyone who has the tag [POWER].

Simple.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:59:04 pm »

we need megabeasts to be elevated to 'god' status based on their actions. I.e. If a Titan goes off and destroys 90% of a civilization, the other leftovers can worship him so they can be spared. The Titan becomes one of the many 'gods' which respawn in their temples after being killed because gods are creatures of faith. This means that we never run out of megabeasts to kill, and megabeasts can be elevated to 'god' status by getting people to worship them. Along with the army arc, (which based on my understanding will allow us to send out armies as well) this means that the only way to completely kill off the 'god'beast would be to kill its followers, then itself, as without faith, it loses its respawn powers.

I am an atheist. Let not my talk of faith lead you to believe otherwise.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 12:01:51 am »

This leads to megabeasts always being in your world.

It's like boatmurdered, except with megabeasts.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:06 am »

Or, perhaps... recurring god-elephants that come out of world gen with 6k kills.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 03:22:13 am »

Logically speaking, adding the [POWER] tag to megabeasts and giving all civs [RELIGION:ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER] would work, so long as said power creatures had corresponding SPHERE tags. You'd get some occasional hiccups, of course, and the possible problem of having to put up with nonsentient king/queens, but it's workable.

That said, godhood by worship would be very interesting... the only problem is what it'd do to the current diety system. Maybe add a [CAN_WORSHIP:#] tag to sentient creatures to determine at what point they will replace their pantheon/spirit-worship with a megabeast.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 10:10:11 am »

Warlord's method is what I use to make formics (antmen with a fancy name) follow a formic queen as their ruler and deity. Sometimes they follow black dragons instead tho.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:12 am »

Anybody care to take a stab at a Boatmurdered elephant god?
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 12:35:51 pm »

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 11:44:17 am »

I was thinking in the raws (don't know if it's possible) but that works. :)
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 07:28:26 pm »

Not a megabeast, but I once did have a tentacle demon rule a gobbo civ.
Pages: [1] 2