Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seed Overflow.  (Read 2318 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Seed Overflow.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 07:40:27 pm »

I'd be happy if kitchens stopped cooking milk. Either that or cheese making would not require it to be tagged as cookable

If it was drinkable as an alternative to water - especially for wounded soldiers - I would be pleased.
On that note, broken limbs should heal faster if the wounded dude in question is drinking milk (high calcium ion content).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 08:00:04 pm »

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how to do products/reagents for seeds?  I'm trying: SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_ALCOHOL:BUSH_QUARRY

But that just causes a crash.  Are there other plant material types other than PLANT_ALCOHOL?

e: never mind, I got it.  It's SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:BUSH_QUARRY:NO_MATGLOSS
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:34:12 pm by Footkerchief »

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 08:45:28 pm »

As far as seed quantities, I always assumed that 'seed' was a unit of seed needed to seed a square of land.  Hence why you would get one 'seed' from a strawberry: enough to perpetuate itself in an equal or slightly greater amount of space.

You underestimate the sheer number of plants from which we eat the seeds, or just don't discard the seeds...
You pick the seeds out of your strawberries?
Rice and other grains and grasses.
Sesame Seed.
Soy Beans (and any soy product).
Corn and anything made from it.
Cucumbers.
Watermellon (well, I do anyway).
Pumpkin and other gourds/squashes.
Tomatoes.
Amoranth.
Pepper (the fruit-type.  Capsicum).
Pepper (the pepper-corm type.  Piper).
Dill.

There's also pleanty of things which we eat long before it produces seed, destroying the seed-bearing structures.  Examples:
Cabbage and it's kin (kale, brocoli, brussel sprouts... all same species, just selected for different traits.).
Lettuce.
Many Herbs.  Most, in fact.
Raddishes, carrots, and other root-fruits.

So to have a more realistic seed/plant system, we really would only need 4 factors.  Currently we have 2: GROWDUR and SEED, and the assumption of seeds produced on processing.  We could, instead, have the following:
1. MATUREDUR: amount of time plant needs to grow before it can be harvested.
2. EATDUR: Amount of time after Maturedur has ellapsed in which it can be picked for food.
3. SEEDAGE: after this time, will produce seed upon being processed.
4. MAXAGE: after this time, plant is considered dead.

So I have three hypothetical plants.

1. plant eaten only before it goes to seed: MATUREDUR 300, EATDUR 100, SEEDAGE 500, MAXAGE 550.  So it will mature at 300, be edible from 300-400, then be inedible as it goes to seed, produce seeds at 500, and the plant itself dies at 550.

To make sure that this plant is not eaten before going to seed could just require something as simple as a modification to the Kitchen Extended Options (which I have proposed, as a way of gaining all the versatility but keeping it simple for those that do not want 10 options to set per plant), that lets one specify whether to harvest every plant, every other plant, no plant, or say 'harvest on seed' vs 'harvest at maturity' to simply only pick it once it has gone to seed, or merely once it is ripe for eating or use.

2. Plant which produces seeds at the same time: MATUREDUR 400, EATDUR 100, SEEDAGE 400, MAXAGE 500.  Will be both mature and produce seed at 400, and will die at 500.

3. Plant that produces seed only if harvested late: MATUREDUR 400, EATDUR 100, SEEDAGE 475, MAXAGE 500

Other flavorful additions: SEEDON, SEEDNUMBER, USEON, SEEDEAT, SEEDMILL, ect.
SEEDON would have two options: PICK, AUTO, and PROCESS.  PICK would only leave viable seeds when the plant was picked between going to seed and MAXAGE.  If the plant dies, no seed.  AUTO would be it automatically drops a seed when it goes to seed, which can be picked up by farmers and stored.  Since the seed is dropped automatically, the plant can live or die as is seen fit.  PROCESS only gives seed when the plant is processed.  Make sure to only put this on plants that are still processable when able to produce seed.  If a plant has SEEDON:PROCESS but makes a seed long after MATUREDUR has expired, SOL.  If a plant has SEEDON:PROCESS and SEEDON:AUTO, then it will produce a seed at a particular time automatically, and a second seed when processed.

SEEDNUMBER would set a min and max number of seeds.  SEEDNUMBER:1:2 would mean min 1, max 2.  If I wanted a plant, for example, that produced hundreds of seeds, SEEDNUMBER 100-200.  This may sound insane, but if I have a plant that is harvestable for food really quickly, but takes all year (literally) to produce seeds, it actually evens out play-wise.  Also, it makes it so, if you want, SEEDNUMBER:0:1 could ensure that there is only a 50% chance of getting a seed.  Another modification could be to have a bell curve function similar to the bell curves used in personalities.  SEEDNUMBER:1:10:3 would generate a stereotypical bell curve with a maximum at 3, thus one might occasionally get a large cluster, but most likely it will be 2, 3, 4 seeds.

USEON would be a flavorful thing to add, as it would allow the use of the plant to change with time.  Example: USEON:300:400 would mean that between 300 and 400, it would be usable for the next argument (example, MILLDYE).  USEON:500:550 could make the same plant be usable for, say, brewing between the times of 500 and 550.  Based on the way raws are set up, though, this USEON argument might need a USEONEND like in Basic code, to signal when that particular USEON argument ends.

SEEDEAT says whether the seed is edible or not.  If, for example, you want a plant, like Rice, where it is the seeds themselves that are edible, you could have the following: MATUREDUR:500, SEEDDUR:500, SEEDON:PROCESS, SEEDNUMBER:25:50, SEEDEAT, but have no arguments for what it is processed into, it will basically 'process' the plant, producing no usable processed stuff, but producing 10-20 seeds, and it is these seeds which are eaten or planted as Armok sees fit.  This is perfect in conjunction with the thing someone else mentioned, of having 5 seeds be worth one ingredient, because the seed needed to seed a square could be enough to feed half a family.  It would be good, if that system is implemented, to have cooks be able to carry bags of seeds to the kitchen, lest the seeds be horribly time-consuming to have.  Any plant without SEEDEAT will not produce edible seeds.  Example, you don't (well, shouldn't) eat apple seeds, and I think few people probably eat Mango pits (I should look that up later to be certain).

SEEDMILL is as it seems: like when milling plants, but the seed can be milled.  Again, good if joined with the other guy's 5seeds per ingrediant thing, because every 5 units of seed could go to a unit of flour.

One thing I am confident in, is Toady's ability to sit down, think everything through, and come up with a system that works nicely, is generally more, or still, streamlined, and adds fun (both types) and complexity to the game.  I can only ever hope that the suggestions I give help him out...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 09:37:14 pm »

You forgot the obvious one:
Pomegranate.  The flesh of the fruit is COMPLETELY inedible.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 05:20:10 pm »

As far as seed quantities, I always assumed that 'seed' was a unit of seed needed to seed a square of land.  Hence why you would get one 'seed' from a strawberry: enough to perpetuate itself in an equal or slightly greater amount of space.

This whole comment is made of win.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 05:29:54 pm »

This whole comment is made of win.
Huh, and here I just assumed that it was a two foot wide fruit with 6 inch seeds.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 05:47:31 pm »

Most plants produce many thousands of seeds every season (and grain crops have been breed to make even more), very few ever germinate and of those even fewer go on to ever produce seeds of their own so the notion that plant seeds should 'balance' the planted area is quite wrong.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:28:08 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 06:28:53 pm »

Most plants produce many thousands of seeds ever season (and grain crops have been breed to make even more), very few ever germinate and of those even fewer go on to ever produce seeds of their own so the notion that plant seeds should 'balance' the planted area is quite wrong.

In the natural world, yes, it's basically a shotgun blast of seeds, hoping one hits.

This might be a perfect solution, though! Require more seeds per square of farm plot.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 09:17:11 am »

Most plants produce many thousands of seeds ever season (and grain crops have been breed to make even more), very few ever germinate and of those even fewer go on to ever produce seeds of their own so the notion that plant seeds should 'balance' the planted area is quite wrong.

In the natural world, yes, it's basically a shotgun blast of seeds, hoping one hits.

This might be a perfect solution, though! Require more seeds per square of farm plot.

The point is, 1 seed =/= 1 seed...  1 strawberry seed is enough to plant one square with strawberry plants.  So it's more like 30-40 seeds, which is also enough(sorta) strawberry seeds to provide nutritional value.

1 game seed = enough seed(s) to plant 1 square = enough seeds to provide 1 nutrient value to a dwarf. (= 30-100 real strawberry seeds)  There's no point in cutting them up finer than that.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 07:29:21 pm »

The point is, 1 seed =/= 1 seed...  1 strawberry seed is enough to plant one square with strawberry plants.  So it's more like 30-40 seeds, which is also enough(sorta) strawberry seeds to provide nutritional value.

1 game seed = enough seed(s) to plant 1 square = enough seeds to provide 1 nutrient value to a dwarf. (= 30-100 real strawberry seeds)  There's no point in cutting them up finer than that.
Yeah, he's right.  It would just be dividing one item into a huge stack.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 12:55:02 am »

so 1 tile can hold maybe 1-5 seeds,

growing from 1-3
to  10-12 fruit?

with the labor per seed remaining constant?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 05:29:13 am »

Also, there are other ways for plant reproduction. Strawberries for example usually reproduce vegetatively by runners colonizing the area, starting from one plant. Or grafting or budding, for the more woody species.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 [2]