Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Better sense of time...  (Read 2446 times)

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better sense of time...
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 08:51:47 pm »

Point taken. Especially how in practically all literature anybody trapped underground has their sleep schedule thrown off entirely and complains about how they don't know if it's night or day anymore. That had to come from somewhere... right?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31:06 am »

Point taken. Especially how in practically all literature anybody trapped underground has their sleep schedule thrown off entirely and complains about how they don't know if it's night or day anymore. That had to come from somewhere... right?
The Circadian rhythm is not exactly 24 hours (some say it's as long as 25 hours in the presence of electric lights), and it gets reset every day by the sun.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 10:35:58 am »

I am not sure that how could this work...I mean the day/night cycle. I think that in order to have nighttime, the length of a year must be doubled at least.

My suggestion is that there be a clock on the top-right corner, allowing us to know if it's morning, day, or nighttime, and plan our Dwarfs to work accordingly. Additionally, it would make planning for when Dwarfs eat/go for dinner easier to plan. Each day should be longer accordingly (with an option to speed up the time as appropriate), and food requirements should increase to represent daily consumption...however, the starting gold should increase to take these additional costs into account...

Feedback?

I think that this is pointless. Dwarves are living underground anyway [at least that is the concept], so it doesn't really matters that it's day or night at all.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:02 am »

And what if you want to build your fortress above-ground, even only partially? And additionally, what about hunting and woodcutting, especially if you do not have an underground river that can support massive towercap farms?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:05:33 am by MagicJuggler »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 11:06:53 am »

And what if you want to build your fortress above-ground, even only partially?

Well, that's why I wrote "concept". Do you really think that dwarves should care about the day/night cycle if they are above ground?
Perhaps...I don't know.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 11:21:38 am »

In D20 and many other universes, Dwarfs probably wouldn't care due to awesome night vision, yet other hapless creatures like humans, whom rely on torches, etc. to see in the flames. This would give Dwarfs a tactical advantage, and could make night-fighting a viable combat option as well.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 11:49:06 am »

I am not sure that how could this work...I mean the day/night cycle. I think that in order to have nighttime, the length of a year must be doubled at least.

Don't forget the (proposed) 1 month light/dark cycle. 

15 days of 'day', 15 days of 'night' (edited by season and  latitude, of course), with dwarves being up for 20 days and sleeping for 10 (20-10 is debateable and irrelevant).  Could work, and fits a rythmn to the game without breaking the current year cycle.  (plus, think about freezing rivers at night!!!)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 02:00:27 am »

The Circadian rhythm is not exactly 24 hours (some say it's as long as 25 hours in the presence of electric lights), and it gets reset every day by the sun.

It varies from person to person, anywhere from the extremes of ~20 hours up to ~30 (but the bell-curve middle is right there on the 24-25 hour mark).

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 07:42:42 pm »

I think underground "day/night" cycles would be sociological. Dwarfs would want to be up and about as the same times as others, in some professions it would be necessary, as would it be for mess hall and shops. Most creatures like routine, but nobles would insist on it.
Besides, while the sleep patterns in DF are based on dwarfs working themselves into exhaustion, RL sleep patterns are based on psychological needs, ancestral activity patterns and the fact that the mind tends to tire faster than the body.
Dwarfs need a community clock and they need to work together and either need to enforce quiet times to sleep or show a heightened tolerance for noises.
Now no one's saying the clock has to be the same one as the surface dwellers use, but it would benefit trade and prevent cave-lag from traveling dwarves because of the sun sets a standard.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2]