Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Infinite Line  (Read 4905 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Infinite Line
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:38:00 am »

It might be premature, considering all we have to go with are screenshots like these:

But I'm going to go out on a line and say...

Infinite Line: It's going to rule your world. Heck, an RPG in space? Scheweet. An RPG in space with over 200 characters? Megas scheweets. An RPG in space with over 200 characters and the ability to customize, outfit, built, and control over 150 ships? Awezome scheweeets. An RPG in space with over 200 characters and the ability to customize, outfit, built, and control over 150 ships while maintaining the ability to control multiple spaceships at a time? Oryeaz scheweeeets!

If this game doesn't have giant orbital cannons I'll shoot myself.

More fanboyish hype:

quote:
First, players will be able to customize their ship. There are over 150 design models, and another 150 possible crewmembers. The innards of your vessel are modular and can be rearranged at will.
Umi's reaction: I'm so totally going to put the captain's quarters right next to the ladies' shower rooms.
quote:
the "graphics will blow you away. You will not believe this is being done on the DS." Characters will be in 2D, but ships, exploration, and battles will all be in 3D.

quote:
There will be Wi-Fi two-player battles with your friends and their spaceships.
Umi's reaction: My dream of naming a ship Konigs Tiger and kicking ass will be made true!
quote:
"There are two main [story] threads," Platinum Games told us. "One is a poor young boy who pulls himself up by his bootstraps, has no money. He gathers the money, the parts, and equipment he needs to become a space captain. Another thread gets into very high-level, philosophical science fiction stuff. [We are] fans of science fiction writers Arthur C. Clarke and Greg Egan. Humanity is made to observe and they are defining the physical laws of the universe through their observation. We want to explore the idea in the game and storyline that 'what if there are not alien species but different types of humanoid species who observe each other?' So that's where the themes of Childhood's End come into play. What is the real role of humanity? Why is humanity there to observe the universe?"
Umi's Reaction: In other words, "we have one storyline for dumbass Naruto fans with no brains, and we have one storyline for actual people." Nice!
quote:
"A spaceship battle will pretty much occur in real time. There will be various parameters for your ship. According to these parameters you'll have what's called a 'command gauge.' This command gauge builds up and you can spend it to perform specific attacks during battle. For example, if you get some really great personnel on your ship, great pilots or whatever, they may be able to improve your command structure and your ship may react faster."
Umi's reaction: Realtime giant orbital cannons?! *drool*
quote:
"We're probably talking 50-60 hours just to get through once. But if you want to do everything it will probably take you 100 hours."
Umi's reaction: Oblivion?

A game like this hasn't even been done on the PC, and that's something to be said about it. Here's to hoping it goes well, but I have little to doubt that it won't.

P.S: It's a future NDS game developed by Platinum Games which is partnered with Sega and is made up of the heads of the company which created Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and God Hand.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Line
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:48:00 am »

Looks interesting, but I'm far too cynical and jaded to be believe anything in their press package. And only for the DS? Man, I need to get me one of those. Haven't had a Gameboy since... geez, the Gameboy Colour? Man I'm old.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 07:01:00 am »

Meh, sounds only moderately cool, and it's DS only.

I'll stick to X2

Shoes...

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

The worst part about this is that it's going to almost inevitably be fluff and superficial, since it's on a frickin' handheld...

Remember back in the day when it was PCs that had all the good games and all the handhelds got were little side-scrollers?  I miss those days.

EDIT @ Cthulhu: YES!  Someone else has heard of X2!  That game has not received nearly enough love.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: JustOnePixel ]

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

I have a hard time liking JRPGs, besides the first few Final Fantasy games (if you can even call them RPGs anymore).  The fact that it is a handheld game only also means that it will be very limited in scope.

Edit: Oops, I can't forget the Dragon Quest series - they're definately at the top of my JRPG list.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

I hate JRPGs too. Really hate them. I hate almost everything coming out of Japan since it's either a new excuse to wonder about the entire country's moral values or yet another RPG-RTS-hybrid-thing.

But my gut instinct tells me that this game is going to rule. My overly jaded, hypercritical gut instinct which hates everything in this world that doesn't have a giant orbital cannon tells me this game is going to own. I guess I don't have much more than that.

But I'll keep you guys posted.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

Yeah man! Fuck Japan and their crap morals westside4lyfe! *goes into a fell mood and tortures kittens* *makes a sock from his own sons skin* *goes into a random town and beats everyone to death with the mayors corpse*

Anyway this game looks cool.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 02:10:00 am »

More screens:

It looks like the game has full motion video too... but considering the typical, inevitable, half-assed English voice dubbing... bleh...

I just hope it's simple to undub when released, or the voice acting somewhat decent.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

I would assume that the ship customization is going to be a simple 2D thing not far from the megaman games' navicust where good placement will improve aspects of the ship, probably as simple as "place a weapon near a power source to fire faster" or good placement means faster reaction time.
Eh?
Eh!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

quote:
P.S: It's a future NDS game developed by Platinum Games which is partnered with Sega and is made up of the heads of the company which created Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and God Hand.

Sold. Sold. SOLD!

This is going to be so freaking awesome. After Okami, Viewtiful and God Hand, I honestly don't believe this could be anything less than fantastic. Thanks for the info!

So I take it Clover lives on? At least, a little bit?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

Yeah, all their founding members are part of the new Platinum Games, who are in a joint partnership with Sega. It's practically the same company, just a different name.

qwerty: from what I can see in the screens, I think there's more too it than that. But my Japanese is somewhat limited, so don't take my word for it.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

Revival!

More new information has come up. First off, they changed the name to Infinite Space. I actually kinda preferred Infinite Line...

Most of it is about the first of the two storylines. The shounen (young boy) style anime thing. Here's 4 minutes of anime footage. I'm not a fan of non-gameplay related stuff... so, form your own opinion. Looks like your typical shounen fare to me. Needs more giant lasers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41737.html

There's also a whole new bunch of screenshots on IGN. Again, mostly focusing on the anime aspect of it. There's some pretty impressive gameplay shots there though which look remarkable considering it's on the DS. Why is it on the DS of all places? Think of the possibilities if it were on anything else (though I probably couldn't undub it were it on anything else). Here: http://media.ds.ign.com/media/142/14253677/imgs_1.html

Apparently there's also a real actual anime series coming out in conjuction with it. Same production team as the one behind the excellent Ghost in the Shell. Information is here: http://kotaku.com/5056154/infinite-space-getting-animated-short-films

Lastly, the lead developer looks like a mega pervert. He makes erotic games (last game he made was called "Nude Maker"). He claims that his experience with storylines in erogames helps in this one... I'm not going to try and judge as I know some quality erotic games with excellent storylines (Leisure Suit Larry and Tsukihime come to mind) but I doubt a game called "Nude Maker" has a triple A plot. Anyway, interview here: http://kotaku.com/5061511/how-erotic-games-influenced-platinum-games

I'm standing by my opinion that this game will be excellent. I'd even put $10,000 on it if there were a futures market for games...

edit: gameplay video here: http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/14253677/infinite-line/videos/tgs_off3_infinitespace_01_101108.new.html

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:51:53 pm »

This game look pretty interesting. I'm definitely going to watch it. I love my NDS :)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 07:34:18 pm »

Everybody knows half-naked chicks are the best pilots ever.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 07:49:37 pm »

Well, by the screenshots, it appears that the customization WILL be 2D tetris-like.
Now, if only they went for something like THIS.
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2 3