Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF Accelerator, Windows edition  (Read 4439 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: DF Accelerator, Windows edition
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

[GRID:50:38]

There's your problem. DF clamps the values to 80x24, so that's really 80x38.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 01:25:55 pm »

What should I set it as?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 01:27:51 pm »

Well, the minimum grid width is 80, so with a 16x16 font you can't use less than 1280 pixels width. If that's too much, you could use the 8x8 version I posted for penguinofhonor a bit ago, but that's a hack on top of a hack.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 01:37:48 pm »

Has Toady expressed any interest in incorporating this drawing method into DF itself?  (Hint, hint. ;-)

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 01:48:36 pm »

Anyways I turned on a bunch of compiler options to make it run faster and I made it so it works with SSE2 instructions, which I think means if your CPU does not support it, it will not run.  This should be marginally faster.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e83e3aa8340ec661d2db6fb9a8902bda

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 02:05:10 pm »

Has Toady expressed any interest in incorporating this drawing method into DF itself?  (Hint, hint. ;-)

Yes. In fact, I spent a month trying to figure out his source code as regarding graphical output (see battle champs).

Unfortunately.. I couldn't figure it out. I'm pretty sure the only one with a prayer of doing so is Toady himself, though I believe I'd have a pretty good chance with the full source code of DF.

Which is to say, the only one with a prayer of doing so is Toady himself.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 02:06:08 pm »

Anyways I turned on a bunch of compiler options to make it run faster and I made it so it works with SSE2 instructions, which I think means if your CPU does not support it, it will not run.  This should be marginally faster.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e83e3aa8340ec661d2db6fb9a8902bda

"Marginally" is right.
The game only spends about 0.1% of its time inside the shim; this is the only time period you can affect, so it really won't make much of a difference.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 03:23:29 pm »

Huh, could Toady work on this to iron out all the other bugs? Because then he could stick it in the default DF download and it would be real useful.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 04:10:52 pm »

Huh, could Toady work on this to iron out all the other bugs? Because then he could stick it in the default DF download and it would be real useful.

No. The only way to do it properly is to make it part of DF itself; this would require someone who understands both what it's supposed to do, and has access to DF's source code.

Toady can't do it, since he doesn't understand my code. I don't blame him; it's rather tangled, especially in this form.

I can't do it, since I don't have access to DF's source code. Besides, even if I did, I'd have to make far-reaching changes - it's kinda, er, spaghetti code. I don't think Toady would go for it.

So sorry, it isn't going to happen...

On the plus side, most of the bugs/shortcomings of the current shim should be fixable in time.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 02:41:20 am »

Sorry to pester you, but can't you describe, in pseudocode, how to process the display data, then provide Toady with code samples on how to call the OpenGL functions/libraries in the final steps?  I've gotta think Toady could handle that.

But regardless, allow me to express my appreciation for your work.  And Toady's too, of course.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:43:45 am by Maximus »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 09:06:02 am »

Sorry to pester you, but can't you describe, in pseudocode, how to process the display data, then provide Toady with code samples on how to call the OpenGL functions/libraries in the final steps?  I've gotta think Toady could handle that.

But regardless, allow me to express my appreciation for your work.  And Toady's too, of course.

I suppose I could, if Toady shows an interest.

As it happens, I've already offered to do that. He's apparently thinking about it.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 05:22:42 pm »

- You must use an 8x8, 16x16 or hypothetically 32x32 tileset. Sorry about that. I'm working on it.

Would an 8x16 or 16x32 tileset be easier to implement than other arbitrary combinations?

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 10:09:15 pm »

did you mess with the smelter in this modification? it runs great but however there something amiss. I just recently added the materials for the smelter and I cannot run the smelter unless I got coal... i just removed all the fuel tags as well...

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:39 pm »

It is a trap that will kill you, eh?

Anyway, this sounds awesome. I'm not actively playing DF right now - largely because I'm on a laptop these days, which makes things much more difficult - but I still have it installed, and may try out your utility just for fun. Keep it up!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 12:59:06 am »

- You must use an 8x8, 16x16 or hypothetically 32x32 tileset. Sorry about that. I'm working on it.

Would an 8x16 or 16x32 tileset be easier to implement than other arbitrary combinations?

In theory, those should already work.
In practice, only 16x16 ones do.. well, it's possible that 16x32/32x32 also do, as I haven't tried it. 8x8 certainly doesn't, since DF strangely passes it as a 16x16 texture.

Anyhow, making arbitrary sizes work isn't all that /hard/. I'm about halfway through that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3