Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Silk cloth overload  (Read 1480 times)

Raelyf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Silk cloth overload
« on: November 05, 2008, 05:04:11 pm »

So, in the earliest days of my adventure my fort was stalked by a GCS. He managed to launch a rediculous amount of silk in all directions across the map while killing my animals and avoiding my cage traps before finally dying to a single merchant guard. I was disappointed, but no matter - I built myself a loom to harvest his silk.

The problem was, there was a fair amount of regular cave spider silk cluttering the map and my dwaves didn't seem interesting in collecting the good stuff. My solution - 8 looms with dedicated weavers! This seemed like a good plan - I assumed I would strip the map of silk in no time and get that GCS silk harvested. It's a few game years later now - and only 'some' of the GSC silk is harvested. My weavers have been working overtime and now I have 80-100 BINS of spider silk cloth, and there's still silk all over the map. So, my dilema:
1) Is there anyway to prioritize the GCS silk other than going around the map forbidding the rest of it?

2) What the hell do I do with it all?

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Silk cloth overload
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 05:09:14 pm »

Bags and ropes, mate.  Bags and ropes.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 05:09:22 pm »

So, in the earliest days of my adventure my fort was stalked by a GCS. He managed to launch a rediculous amount of silk in all directions across the map while killing my animals and avoiding my cage traps before finally dying to a single merchant guard. I was disappointed, but no matter - I built myself a loom to harvest his silk.

The problem was, there was a fair amount of regular cave spider silk cluttering the map and my dwaves didn't seem interesting in collecting the good stuff. My solution - 8 looms with dedicated weavers! This seemed like a good plan - I assumed I would strip the map of silk in no time and get that GCS silk harvested. It's a few game years later now - and only 'some' of the GSC silk is harvested. My weavers have been working overtime and now I have 80-100 BINS of spider silk cloth, and there's still silk all over the map. So, my dilema:
1) Is there anyway to prioritize the GCS silk other than going around the map forbidding the rest of it?

Do you have magma? If you do, just burn it or better line a trench outside your fortress with silk, then light it on fire when invaders come.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:10:37 pm »

Leave the remaining silk where it is and set the entire map on fire with it.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:16:05 pm »

Giant Cave Spider Silk is worth a good deal for a raw material, and is worth more when dyed. When used as a restraint or bag, it functions as a piece of furniture and can raise the value of a room.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 05:17:55 pm »

Giant Cave Spider Silk is worth a good deal for a raw material, and is worth more when dyed. When used as a restraint or bag, it functions as a piece of furniture and can raise the value of a room.

An idea that doesn't use fire? HERESY!

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 05:20:22 pm »

An idea that doesn't use fire? HERESY! ELF!

Fixed.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 06:01:25 pm »

Get a bunch of dedicated clothiers and put them to work in a sweat shop making ropes (if you feel you need any), bags (likewise) and lots and lots of socks and mittens. I've had GCS socks/mittens selling for upwards of 2,000 EACH, and one bit of silk gives you two socks/mittens. Whether silk or plant fibre, they're usually the primary export from my fort, in exchange for leather, cloth, food, booze, pets and whatever else I desire. May take a couple of years before I have enough stock (and enough dwarves) to produce enough to buy EVERYTHING I want from merchants each time, but after that it does tend to work out quite nicely; I can bring out a few cheese roasts if I need extra funds but I rarely need to stoop to that level :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 06:43:12 pm »

You could just selectively dump the unwanted non-giant cave spider silk in magma or offer it to the mountainhomes.

@everyone other than op: He wants to get rid of the regular cave spider silk no the GCS stuff.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 07:07:39 pm »

Dye the silk and then set several clothiers to repeating "Sew Silk Image".  They'll grab random finished goods and increase their value significantly, very worth it.  Then when you get to the good stuff, you'll have high skill dyers and clothiers to make you rich.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 07:26:48 pm »

Yeah, make it into clothes, or silk craft once you've got enough of those.
Magma is overrated.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 08:09:45 pm »

Trappers/cats to stop the cave spiders from producing more webs.

TRappers would be better so you can release them later.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:51 pm »

Hopefully one of your weavers will make a legendary thong out of it, like this lucky bastard:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26678.15
Note: thats me at the bottom :D

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 09:05:27 pm »

By going z then stock, you can mass forbid all of a certain item type. I believe spiderwebs are found under thread, so you can use the stocks menu to forbid all spiderwebs while leaving the GCS webs untouched.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 05:29:25 am »

Make sure everything has a silk image. You can also make silk crafts and decorate them with silk images. This will massively increase the wealth of your fortress, and you can either trade it away, or you can simply offer it to the mountainhomes.

Alternatively, if you have a good amount of silk you can harvest regularly and skilled weavers, you can simply trade the silk bins without even worrying about making it into nice things, as exceptionally woven silk cloth by itself is incredibly valuable.
Pages: [1] 2