Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Educational Value of Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 2395 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Educational Value of Dwarf Fortress?
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:53:42 pm »

Dwarf Fortress truly is unlike any other game of it's kind; the ability to work from the smallest details and work one's way up allows it to be used in all sorts of creative ways.

I've found games by themselves generally aren't more than cursory in their ability to educate, yet are capable of sparking interest in subjects that prompt an inquisitive gamer to read up on the subjects in detail. For example, Age of Empires 2 gave very cursory descriptions of the nature of medieval society, and the assorted groups that lived and died throughout it, yet the presentation of the material came in such a manner that one would legitimately be interested in these subjects and want to read more on the nature of how the Byzantine Empire's decline continued to accelerate between the fall of Manzikert, and the Siege of Constantinople.

My question is, given enough time, does one view Dwarf Fortress as having potential as an educational tool for assorted subjects? E.g. could one see it being a study guide for learning one's different forms of rocks, or simply as a primer for sparking interest in the differences between sedimentary vs. metamorphic rocks. As a tool for teaching lateral thinking and creative ways to use smaller parts to build a greater whole (e.g. computer construction). Or as a moral lesson on not angering the carp?

Or am I looking into this too deeply.

Tsktac

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the fish!
    • View Profile
Re: Educational Value of Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:03:12 am »

That would be a good idea except... Dwarf fortress is too fun to be educational ;D.  But on a serious note, with dwarf fortress I have learned more about geology, the makeup of fables, geography?, and the deadliness of carp then schooling will probably ever teach me.  I think this is a great learning tool for anyone who is able to get past the ascii.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 07:40:52 am »

Just wait until the kids start making mittens out of their pets.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:15 am »

The DF is truly great for learning basics of geology(especialy when coupled with wikipedia). Every fortress is also a model society for hardcore gender equality, plus it shows nicely that nobles are bastards and are better off dead. And that economy doesn't work well-at least in this version, so everything should be free. And everybody ought to do his job without any incentive but for the better good of the people(dwarven).
Hold on, is Toady trying to smuggle some commie ideas there?
On a side note: after an affair with DF, no kid would ever look at his/her cat the same again.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:31:19 am »

I've learned that members of all other races are inferior to Dwarven might and ingenuity.  Squeekie tree-humpers, Green Skinned Jerks, and Tall-and-Soft humans are all crushed beneath the heel of Dwarven society.  Truly, they are the Überzwerg. 

ÏLUN KULSIMARKIM!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:38:04 am »

What I learned from Dwarf Fortress:

-Do not pick up flaming pants

-Running into the heat of battle for a sock is not smart.

-Cross-bow bolts can ricochet in you, destroying all your vital organs. This happens fairly reliably.

-When in a bad mood, use the closest person next to you to make some sort of amulet. No one will mind.

-You can steal whatever resources you want when working on a big project. If you succeed, then you will be talked about for the rest of your life.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:58:49 am »

When I first played Dwarf Fortress, I used to build my housing areas haphazardly, and with subsequent games, I started planning. I started setting up long-term constructions/housing complexes.

The game has also taught me the true value of water. Be it for irrigation, for power, or for computing, water is truly one of the most useful items about and for more than just drinking. The game is also creating interest in the nature of animal husbandry, be it breeding animals for war, food, or as another powersource.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:17:59 am »

Educational Value of Dwarf Fortress?
I would say, playing with DF is an excellent choice if you would like to work on your creativity skill.  ;)
Thus, DF is a perfect game for kids also [if the violent parts are removed at least]  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:53:07 am by Tormy »

FunkyBomb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:20:19 pm »

After playing Dwarf Fortress, I know a lot more about the creation of steel than I used to.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »

People who play Dwarf fortress can probably manage space and task over time jobs better then a lot of so called university students due to that damnable disease that requires sleeping, eating, parties and breaks, and don't forget to mention the horrid pathfinding/hauling system.  (I believe the last two are a true indication of the average laborers incentive/intelligence on the job).  Truly, if your in the industry for job managment, having dwarf fortress on your resume should boot you to the top of the preference list.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:56:46 pm »

Truly, if your in the industry for job managment, having dwarf fortress on your resume should boot you to the top of the preference list.

"First question:  How would you deal with people who refuse to work?"
"Lock them in a room and fill it with lava."
"We'll... get back to you."
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:21:46 pm »

"First question:  How would you deal with people who refuse to work?"
"Lock them in a room and fill it with lava."
"We'll... get back to you."
A Metaphor to fire the person.
Now the union, THEY are the ones you lock in a room and fill with lava.  Then you flood the room with water to create an obsidian subsidiary industry for your workplace.  While your at it, put a cow near a vent so that your company can also produce steamed/smoked meat and hide cattle product.  Take the bones and fashion them into bolts for the Canadian military at a cheap cheap (uber profit) discount! 

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 02:50:11 am »

Hey, mates, maybe we should keep this a bit on topic before we get carried away with the humor?

There is a great, entertaining post on YouTube called "Video Games and Learning."  It talks about something called tangental learning.  Basically, it means that a video game casually mentions something that will pique players' interest.  They do some googling, and they learn.  DF is great for this!  It's increased my awareness of geology, crafts & trades, and a number of other subjects. 

Here's a previous post I made about a great museum in Pennsylvania (USA) about carpentry, animal trapping, hunting, masonry, weaving, etc. DF gave me much more interest in each of those things.

I don't know if DF would qualify as an educational tool, but indirectly it is very educational.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 06:55:37 am »

I don't know if DF would qualify as an educational tool, but indirectly it is very educational.

It would...for the young people at least. [However I must admit, that I never heard about some ores, what we have in DF...so basically it was an educational tool to me also ;D]

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 06:27:18 pm »

There was a thread.. somewhere.. where the Op used DF for his class, think it was elementary.
It also spurred some ideas for a "child safe" mod due to the teach wanting to avoid the kids going home and talk to their parents how Urist was crawling towards his bed after gotten his throat bitten by a zombie fox.
Pages: [1] 2