Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UltimateBB  (Read 5201 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UltimateBB
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:16:07 am »

The wiki has many links of the form e.g. "http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000334" - These can't be accessed - is the old forum still accessible anywhere?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UltimateBB
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 09:09:29 am »

I think most of the posts from the old forum were transferred over to the new one.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 10:50:44 am »

The old forum was working before the server move IIRC. It looks like that Toady got rid of it for good.  :)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:44 pm »

I think most of the posts from the old forum were transferred over to the new one.
Incorrect.
Every single damn one of them was.
The wiki links are what's outdated.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 01:35:37 am »

Incorrect.

Yeah but that doesn't really help when there's no obvious way to fix the links - is there a copy of the old forum somewhere in order to find out what thread any given link refers to? Even just a list of "[old] topic id - title" would be better than nothing. Does the old forum database still exist in any form? I'd be willing to do all the work to fix the wiki links myself if I can get the information I need.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:38:10 am by Random832 »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:32 am »

Incorrect.

Yeah but that doesn't really help when there's no obvious way to fix the links - is there a copy of the old forum somewhere in order to find out what thread any given link refers to? Even just a list of "[old] topic id - title" would be better than nothing. Does the old forum database still exist in any form? I'd be willing to do all the work to fix the wiki links myself if I can get the information I need.

I think that all we can do is to search for related forum topics, and fix the links in the wiki.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:36:37 am »

Does anybody know when the old forum went forbidden?  I remember it was up for a while, and aside from the server move I don't recall changing anything.  Registrations and posts were turned off, but it was still available to read.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 09:39:04 am »

Does anybody know when the old forum went forbidden?  I remember it was up for a while, and aside from the server move I don't recall changing anything.  Registrations and posts were turned off, but it was still available to read.
Blah!  I just sent you a PM on this...  This post wasn't here when I started it..
Anyway, the only thing I can think of is the server move.  The last time I tried it (before the server move) I was able to view it...
(I should have known better about Toady + General Discussion after the RSS feed stuff...)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:00:31 am by jaybud4 »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 09:42:33 am »

It was working before the server move, at least I remember that I clicked on a link, what directed me to the old forum, and it was working.
IIRC this was like 2-3 weeks ago. So it looks like that this has something to do with the server move.

*edit*

When I try to visit the old forum now, I got a  HTTP 403 error.
More infos:
This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:46:26 am by Tormy »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:53:19 am »

Firefox's more-informative error log:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi on this server.

Something went wrong with the permissions for that file, apparently.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:09:59 am »

Firefox's more-informative error log:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi on this server.

Something went wrong with the permissions for that file, apparently.

Yep it looks like so.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 10:19:02 am »

It looks like the permissions are fine on the files and the folder.  I don't know very much about the web stuff, so that's pretty much all I know how to check.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

It looks like the permissions are fine on the files and the folder.  I don't know very much about the web stuff, so that's pretty much all I know how to check.

This might be helpful:

HTTP Error 403 is caused by a web server believing that data sent by the client is correct, but also that the actual access to the data is forbidden or disallowed by the authorizer.

So it’s basically telling you that the page is there, but you’re not permitted to view it.

The thing which confuses many web users is that the same page can be accessible via different means. For example, you might be able to view it when clicking a link in another page. But if you try to bookmark the destination page itself, you’ll be returned with a 403 error when you later try to return to it. Why is this?

Well, by far the most common reason is a configuration setting known as directory browsing.

Directory browsing is where we enter the folder rather than the file itself, as a means of navigating the website.

A more obscure reason is simply that the website has changed web server and is now being hosted elsewhere. If the host has “cancelled” the directories to the old site, it may still take a little time before the client is redirected to the new location. During this time window, a 403 error is likely to be displayed.

If you’re having trouble with your own website, it’s a good idea to contact your host and query whether directory browsing is allowed. Some hosts are extremely picky and disable direct page accessing altogether. This effectively means that every page must be accessed from another hyperlink. You can’t simply type in the URL without receiving an error, usually the 403 Forbidden Access that we’ve discussed.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

Toady, make sure the file ultimatebb.cgi is set to have "execute" permissions since it's a CGI file. Specifically, it should normally be CHMODed to 0755.

If that's set and it's still not working, your host should definitely be able to sort it out.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 12:00:29 pm »

Toady, make sure the file ultimatebb.cgi is set to have "execute" permissions since it's a CGI file. Specifically, it should normally be CHMODed to 0755.

If that's set and it's still not working, your host should definitely be able to sort it out.
Hooray, someone with actual knowledge on the subject.
Pages: [1] 2