Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clay Pottery  (Read 3954 times)

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clay Pottery
« on: October 18, 2008, 01:39:07 am »

Like sand, you could gather clay from clay loam.  You could go on to make pottery and bricks for building from the clay.  Pottery could be used as a trade good or possibly used to store seeds or carry water to the sick.  I would put this as a low priority since it adds nothing to the game that isn't already there in the form of bags or buckets.

However, clay trade goods would be great for people that start in swamp, plains, or woodland

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clay Pottery
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 02:24:51 am »

You could also make clay barrels, which would reduce the need for wood.

We already have a klin furnance, I think this could be modded in unofficially, but I'm not sure.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:51:30 am »

Being able to make clay pottery would be nice, even if it really does nothing more than adding flavor. I'd love to be able to make clays bricks and use them in construction.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:26:12 am »

Honestly, I feel it should basically become another form of glass, with all the same capabilities (except for making rough gems I suppose). That being said, I believe we should also be able to make glass and clay amphorae, which would be equivalent to barrels (like terrariums are to glass cages).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 06:59:53 am »

I would like it if clay had different capabilities, such as no weapon trap components, cages, or raw gems. Instead you would be able to make barrels and buckets out of clay.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:50:47 am »

Clay bucket? That sounds difficult to make. Clay amphorae, now, those have historical basis.

I've never heard of glass amphorae in the real world. Did those exist, and if no, why not?

Oh, and aren't clay and clay loam entirely different soil types?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:52:29 am by Soadreqm »

Fuerte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 10:30:22 am »

I like the idea of clay as a material, but my question is how would we get the clay?

Would we have dwarves go out and scrape clay off the surface of the soil (or bank of the river as it may be. Or do we have dwarves mine out the stuff like ore?

Having it mined would be a problem because you'd simply run out after a while and then what would you do with your legendary potters? Would clay collecting dwarves carry clay around in bags?

Also are there different types of clay? And the possability of refining glazes for added value to your +clay idol+.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 10:38:03 am »

I suppose collecting clay would have to be like collecting sand, since there is generally relatively very little soil on any map. There are already four clay soils (not counting clay loams, of which there are three). I support this idea, though I don't have much to add to it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

One way to increase the price and take away from the mundanity of Pottery is to allow them to be painted as a normal step in their creation.

If you don't have paints you make very plain pottery

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 02:14:49 pm »

^^^ Screw painting, we need pottery glazes!  You could mill certain minerals to get glazing powders, just like in real life!

This might be unnecessarily complicated, but I'd love a two-stage (or optionally three-stage) pottery making process:
- Make unfired pottery at a potter's shop.  This would produce real but unusable items -- +unfired red clay mug+, etc.
- Optionally glaze the pottery with mineral powders at the potter's shop.  This would add value just like dyes add value to cloth.
- Fire the pottery at the kiln.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 04:03:15 pm »

We already have a klin furnance, I think this could be modded in unofficially, but I'm not sure.

I like the clay pottery stuff, but I'm not sure about this.  It's another step on the road of becoming totally independent from the outside world, which is not a good thing.  Besides, can something as big as a barrel really be made of clay?
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 04:19:41 pm »

I like the clay pottery stuff, but I'm not sure about this.  It's another step on the road of becoming totally independent from the outside world, which is not a good thing.  Besides, can something as big as a barrel really be made of clay?

Some amphorae were large enough to serve as an equivalent, at least for liquids.  I don't know about storing food in them, though -- the necks were pretty narrow.  Using amphorae as buckets is more reasonable.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 05:55:25 pm »

perhaps everybody should take a step back and forget the nomenclature.  Focus instead on the intent.

There are cup like things to store a single serving of liquid (not that they're used)
There are bucket like things used to get water out of wells
There are large barrel like things used to store large amounts of brewed liquid (more like oak casks than barrels, but there you have it.

Worrying if clay or leather could be fashioned into a 'barrel' is silly.  They real question is, could something similar be reasonably used (and prefferably, WAS it historically?)

Remember, Coffins and Sarcofogi are the same thing in the game, just different materials. (Same with Flasks and waterskins)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:38:03 pm »

I just had a thought.  Sandy clay loam could be used for pottery and glass.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 10:38:03 pm »

Also, porcelain is generally made from kaolinite, which is already reasonably abundant in DF.
Pages: [1] 2