Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Blizzard Teases Next-gen MMO  (Read 5646 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzard Teases Next-gen MMO
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 12:29:54 pm »

They said it wasn't going to be a WoW sequel. My bet is on World of Warcraft: 10 minutes before the start of the other game.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 12:31:16 pm »

They said it wasn't going to be a WoW sequel

I don't think anyone here really trusts them when they say that.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 01:06:05 pm »

Waterworld.

It's going to cost 175 million and several years to make?

Then again, I really would not mind playing a Waterworld MMO.

Player: Alright, raid on the Smoker Oil Rig at coordinates 400, 320!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 03:13:02 pm »

Nah, it surely won't be a WoW sequel. WoW is still extremely popular, WoW fans just can't be arsed about the outdated gfx for example.

Ghidoran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 09:38:58 pm »

I hope they do a Spore type MMO or an evolution game, with the creative tools from Spore that they'll hijack from EA.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 10:33:58 pm »

Nah, it surely won't be a WoW sequel. WoW is still extremely popular, WoW fans just can't be arsed about the outdated gfx for example.

Surely they realise that whatever they do they are competing with World of Warcraft. If they at least call it World of Warcraft II they could get all the buisness of the World of Warcrafters as well as a new surge of people. Ive seen what they were trying to do with World of Starcraft and so far I don't know if Blizzard has the creativity to make a TRUELY unrelated MMORPG. (I HOPE the reason they cancelled World of Starcraft is because they noticed it was basically a clone of World of Warcraft)

I still remember Ultima Online 2, the one that was cancelled, it was looking like the greatest MMO ever invented (Some of the stuff even today would seem impressive) and they ended up cancelling it on the release date. Interestingly enough they said they cancelled it because they didn't want it to compete with Ultima Online.

I hope they do a Spore type MMO or an evolution game, with the creative tools from Spore that they'll hijack from EA

I think we need a few Babysteps before we get all the way there. Though it is entirely a way I think MMOs should go at one point in the near future. More and more games are becoming capable of sharing user content and MMOs more and more are starting to have their greatest advantages stripped away.

I mean, MMORPGs were always behind when it came to gameplay, but they are adapting slower then the way current games are progressing. Though this has always been because the roof of how good a MMORPG could be was the internet capabilities of its audiance which progressed slower then computer hardware.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 10:35:07 pm »

I hope they do a Spore type MMO or an evolution game, with the creative tools from Spore that they'll hijack from EA.

No...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 10:37:11 pm »

No...

Hey a game where you gain more power by genetically altering yourself in unique ways? In what way does this start to sound like a bad idea unless you go by the fact that Spore didn't turn out alright?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 10:54:15 pm »

No...

Hey a game where you gain more power by genetically altering yourself in unique ways? In what way does this start to sound like a bad idea unless you go by the fact that Spore didn't turn out alright?

Well even before we all found out how disappointing Spore was, I always wanted to "please Armok" when I heard Spore, and MMO in the same sentence.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 12:35:45 am »

Waterworld.

It's going to cost 175 million and several years to make?

Then again, I really would not mind playing a Waterworld MMO.

Player: Alright, raid on the Smoker Oil Rig at coordinates 400, 320!

This is an awesome idea.

My prediction is, it's not going to be WoW, the sequel, it's going to be WoW, reloaded.  I.E. a bottom up rebuild of the exact same game.

The core element of an online game is the playerbase.  The more players already joined in, the more likely other players will want to join, in the vicious circle that is word of mouth advertising and crowd enticement.  There's a reason WoW has like two or three times as many subscribers as all other direct-fantasy-RPGs put together, and it's not all quality, it's that no one wants to pay for a multi-player game with no other players.  Also important, notice that the playerbase size has plateaued at about 10 million.  Combined with the 5 million or so other people playing subscription based WoW-like games, and that's about as big a market as there's going to be of people willing to pay for something like WoW.

That's why I think it's just a rebuild of WoW, because Blizzard would be throwing money away if they made a different game to compete against themselves, just like Tabula Rasa, Conan, Hellgate, and all the others from the past couple years.  Of course, that's probably exactly what they're doing, because Activision is hoping that billion-dollar-a-year lightning will strike twice.  It'll be fascinating market research to watch this play out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 01:03:30 am »

No...

Already exists.
http://www.playrequiem.com/

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

We really don't need Blizzard to make another rotting hole in the gaming industry.

A Waterworld MMO would be amazing, though.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 05:15:09 am »

Somebody already posted a photo of the game concept:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21532221@N00/2049255342/
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf