Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: You have struck *Uselessites*!  (Read 4761 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You have struck *Uselessites*!
« on: October 12, 2008, 07:12:23 pm »

Seriously, what use are jewels? Or, more accurately, what's the use of a jeweler? I'm really starting to wonder.

You can trade them, but they're not worth very much.

You can encrust stuff with them, but you can't control what items. So instead of improving a table for the dining hall you wind up encrusting some random door.

You can use them for moods, but the Dwarves that want gems for their creations tend to want rough gems, so I'm not sure what use the jeweler is.

Seriously, I'm too much of a pack-rat to want to trade them away, but I don't have a clue what to do with them.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck *Uselessites*!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:15:02 pm »

you can attach them to you furniture or weapons and stuff to make it more valuable, also it helps make legendary weapons sound even more bitching
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:24:52 pm »

You can't attach them to weapons, just ammo. And I'm NOT going to make lace agate-encrusted crossbow bolts.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:27:01 pm »

I am plaining on making golden bolts encrusted with rubies
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:33:06 pm »

Urist has been ecstatic lately.  He has been attacked recently.  He has admired a fine bolt recently.
In all honesty, it's best to lock your jeweler in with some food, booze, gems, and stuff you want decorated.  Then let him loose (and by loose I mean work) and increase the wealth of your fortress.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 07:46:24 pm »

I got a legendary gem setter early, and he's been damn useful.  I can have him encrust any old random piece of stone crap with gems, and the thing is gets like a 1000% boost in value.  I try to avoid trading away prepared meals and narrow GCS silk stuff because it feels cheap, so it's been pretty handy to have him around.  I don't really care what gets encrusted, so that isn't an issue for me.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 07:50:15 pm »

Yeah, pretty much lock him in with whatever it is you want encrusted and don't let him out until it looks gaudy pretty.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 07:51:29 pm »

Gem windows!

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 07:52:47 pm »

I always order lots of diamonds and other really valuable gem types from caravans. Mostly I just let them sit around in a pile amidst my main production area in the hope that someone will use them for a really spectacular artifact, but once I get up to a decent sized stockpile I let my jewelers at them (said jewelers being legendary from working green glass nonstop for a couple years), yielding huge value boosts and lots of cool stuff for my dorfs. It's not necessary, but there is very little that actually is necessary in the first place.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 08:08:41 pm »

You should encrust anvils with them.

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 08:23:21 pm »

I love being able to trade for high value gems like diamonds.  My dwarves (eventually) end up sleeping on diamond encrusted masterwork beds worth a kings ransom.  Usually studded with ambush-supplied iron and bone too.  Never have gotten around to doing the rest of their furniture though.  And yes, dwarf economy is a catastrophe to my forts.
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 08:32:55 pm »

So basically you need to set up a custom stockpile next to the jeweler workshop to contain the items you want encrusted (and another for food and drink)?

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 08:34:38 pm »

So basically you need to set up a custom stockpile next to the jeweler workshop to contain the items you want encrusted (and another for food and drink)?

Yup.  Draft the jeweler, station him in the lockable workshop area.  Lock the door.  Undraft 'em.  Set 'em to work.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 08:51:44 pm »

to make it more valuable

How much more valuable? Generally?

Jeweling is something I've never really played with. I've occassionally used mood-Legendary clothiers to enhance things, but the value increase isn't much. Certainly not worth the time and effort to deliberately train someone to do it. I'm guessing with gems the value is greater, but even so, is it really worth training someone to do it if you don't happen to get a legendary from a mood? Especially since gems are so much more difficult to get in useful quantity?

I usually try to mine out the entire bottom level of the mine and fill it with masterpiece engravings to increase fortress wealth. Legendary miners and engravers are easy to get, and there's no shortage of space.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 08:59:39 pm »

Base value of 10, multiplied with material value and skill

Green glass is 5 I think so 50 with no skill. 500 for masterworks. If you actually have some real gems, it's in the thousands

Hmm, what gem would look best in pine furniture? Yeah yeah, I could use obsidian but I rather like wooden stuff. Black diamonds perhaps?

While we're at it, when is it decided what materials an artifact needs? If you savescum at the pause at the start of construction you can decide what item you get out of it, can the same be done with the materials? Pine cabinets encircled with pine are bullcrap, I want gems, bone, the works

Let's see, how do I find out the value of various creatures? For the purposes of bone, need to know whether I'll use kobold, goblin or domestic animal bones for artifacts
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:27:57 pm by Pilsu »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4