Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Challenge Thread: Super Savannah  (Read 9050 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenge Thread: Super Savannah
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:26:32 pm »

Okay, here's the premise of this thread: one of us posts some relatively simple challenge to be completed by the community, and people try it. Whoever completes the challenge first posts the next one, and so on. If the challenge is found to be impossible to complete, someone else posts a challenge. it doesn't matter who. If the challenge is way too hard, same thing.

Challenges can be almost anything, but keep it reasonable.

I figure this is a good way to bring interesting situations to your fellow DF players in an interesting way.

Here's the first challenge: Build a 30-dwarf fortress in the tropical region of this map. Easy. Look around the huge freshwater lake, there are tropics there. Most places are hot but suitable for habitation, however some are ultra-lethal. If you want to see all of your dwarves catch on fire on embark, reclaim the fortress that's name begins with a T.

The area pictured has an aquifer, but the surrounding areas mostly don't.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=589

Triple Bonus Points for making a fortress on a square of tropical savannah. There's at least one near the bottom edge of the map.

Because some areas have insane temperatures, turning TEMP off for this challenge is perfectly acceptable.

This isn't much of a challenge, really, but I assume bigger harder things will show up eventually if this thread doesn't sink to the bottom of the page like an untrained recruit in 6/7 water.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge Thread: Super Savannah
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:32:57 pm »

So, this is my first time trying to play a world that someone else genned, but I'm having a problem.  I put the world into df\data\save\challenge, and load it up.  I abandon the fort.  I then choose to start a new one.  Find a nice savannah, go through embark, but before it tells me to "Strike the earth", the game crashes.

I've tried in different places, with different embark setups...I even reextracted DF to a clean directory.  Am I doing something wrong?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 01:47:49 pm »

I'll check. The world might have been screwed up in the upload.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:15:27 pm »

Hmm. Yeah, something went wrong somewhere. Anyway, to avoid uploading it again and hitting the same problem, here are the world generation parameters:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just put them in world gen in init. Changing the name to something other than LARGE probably doesn't matter.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:57:14 pm »

Awesome.  I embark to my chosen savannah, and as the screen appears, the world catches on fire and  my dwarves take one step before crumbling to ash!
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:09:36 pm »

There are some... Uh... Less-lethal places in there, too.  :P

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 12:51:35 am »

I fully support this idea. I'll go think of some good challenges... this has a lot of potential.

Be sure to upload the map of the fortress to the map archive when you're done.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 07:20:11 am »

While trying to generate this world with the seed, I saw a dwarf NPC fortress on the edge of said savannah...it kept going back and forth from being nearly abandoned to the next civ level and back again...did it about 100 times in the course of the gen.

Guess dorfs don't like it hot.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:05 am »

An update:

I cheated.  I turned temperature off to get the dwarfs and their stuff underground and inside.  Then I turned it back on.  The world turned into a hellscape -- the river (and I mean, the *entire* river) boiled.  Flames flew across the savannah, scouring it of all life and unlife -- for the undead deer were shown no mercy by the blazes.

Under the ground, the dwarves got by without the surface.  Crops were planted, drinks were distilled, and mugs were crafted as the inferno raged on up above.

It rained, but the only effect was to have the water steam before it ever reached the ground.  A similar effect can be seen at the mouth of the brook.

Occasionally, some new undead animals will show up.  They'll appear around the southwest portion of the map, which is apparently cooler than the rest, but eventually they'll wander out of the safety zone, and *POOF*, charbroiled undead deer.

Unfortunately, despite the immense amount of mugs made in preparations for trading, the same is true of dwarven caravans.  They appear on the map already aflame, leaving black trails of noxious smoke behind them like a pathway to hell.  Out of the...six? dwarven caravans so far, one of them managed to push their burning mules hard enough to get them to the rampways leading underground, so that my dwarves could watch sadly as seeds, food (and most importantly) alcohol burn before their eyes, with nothing they can do about it.  Even the metal bars ran like water in the hellish heat.

The rest of the stuff litters the cratered surface, having been forbidden to keep greedy dwarves from rushing outside to claim a xXSpider silk shoeXx only to combust six steps towards their goal.

The same fate awaits the immigrants; man, woman, child, none are spared the wrath of the heat.  Most die out in the wastelands, where the fire picks their bones clean and the ungodly sun bleaches them to ash.  Some become human torches, shambling flames that collapse inside the underground tunnel.  All are remembered in the mausoleums far below the earth, given the coolness in death that they yearned for in life.

Glory be to Armok, five immigrants have actually made it inside more or less unscathed.  This seems to be them appearing in the "cooler" quadrant of the map, where the undead animals roam.  Construction is underway to open up more entrances here.  Praise be, part of this area also contains an aquifer.  Engineers are already drawing up plans to be able to flood the entrances with chilled underground water, dousing the tortured souls who manage to blindly claw their way underground through the pain of the fire...it is hoped that we may be able to save two or three this way, even if they are blind and bloodied and stunted for the rest of their existence...

(At first, I thought I would just turn temperature off when the immigrants appeared, and turn it back on when they were safely inside.  Nope, they combust when it comes back on.  Apparently, temperature is set on a creature to be equal to the area where they first step in?

Also, there's something incredibly amusing about watching an elven caravan take two steps onto the map, burst into flame, and then careen around in agony.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:27:57 am by Magua »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:09:33 am »

Sounds awesome.   ;D Two things:

Have you considered setting up a trade depot in the cooler quadrant?  You'd probably be able to trade then.

Also, the reason you have two temperatures on your map is probably because it covers two biomes, one extremely hot, and one less so.

Any idea what challenge you're going to give to the community?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:19:40 am »

Have you considered setting up a trade depot in the cooler quadrant?  You'd probably be able to trade then.

I have, yeah.  I've got two entrances that are depot accessible -- one's near the very edge of the map where I saw the first caravan, and the other is in the cool quadrant.  I've got underground drawbridges so that I can restrict access to the depot from one or the other.  I even channeled out the hell entrance so that it's not wagon accessible except from the edge of the map:

Code: [Select]
..CC.
..CV.
..CV.
..CV.
..CC.

Where C is a channel and V is a downward ramp -- the idea being that if the three squares were the only squares on the map that had wagon access to the depot, that's where they'd appear.  But, as it turns out, no luck.  They'll still appear anywhere on the map.  Too far away, and they simply can't make it in time.  I've yet to see them appear in the cool area at all.

I don't sweat the merchants overly much, though -- I don't really need to trade for anything except for wood, and I brought plenty of that.... 

Also, the reason you have two temperatures on your map is probably because it covers two biomes, one extremely hot, and one less so.

Yeah, I thought that I had embarked to a 3x3 tropical savannah, but I do believe that the 1x1 SW corner is actually haunted tropical forest.  Which, given the way things have worked, was actually a stroke of luck...

Any idea what challenge you're going to give to the community?

Haven't won *yet*, and so far I've only gotten five immigrants safely into the fortress in six years of game time.  My dining room and barracks are *filled* with engravings of "The dwarf is burning"...

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 02:35:21 pm »

I'm working on beating this.

Scorching hot map with a major riverbed running through the middle, fires everywhere from burning vegetation.

I turned off temperature to get my first dwarves inside, and them set it back to normal.

Somehow forgot to bring any wood along, so I've only got the three beds I could make out of the wagon. Also can't find the aquifer that was promised.  Between that and a lack of barrels for booze this could be interesting.

Got the autumn caravan, it burned up halfway to closest entrance.   Not expecting any better success with the immigrants unless I can find water and rig up a method for getting them underground and soaked before they die.  Haven't seen any native wildlife except the lungfish, and they seem immune to the heat outside.

Came across lots of iron ore, but no coal.  And that wouldn't help all that much as I don't have a log to start processing it either.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 02:49:52 pm »

Success!  The aquifer helped tremendously, as it let me set up entrances like this:

Pressure plates at the ramp are linked to a gear between the water wheel and the pumps.  When the migrants enter, they trip the pressure plates, which engages the gear, filling the room with water, drowning the fires.  In most cases, the water quickly turns bloody from their wounds, but in cases where the immigrants can reach the tunnel at all, this contraption has almost a 50% survival rate!

At first, I thought drainage would be a problem, but then I remembered: water steams instantly outside.  A channel carved above the room ensures that water won't flood the rest of the base -- hence the large cloud of steam.

Flow was similar.  Being used to brooks and rivers, I didn't even consider flow as a problem until the water wheel was built but not spinning.  The answer was simplicity, though: extend the channel so that the water reaches outside, where it steams.  Instant flow!

Using this invention, the fortress is now up to 42 individuals, only 8 of whom are currently direly wounded.  A similar setup was instituted at the merchant's entrance, but there's yet to be another group of merchants that actually reach the tunnel in time, leaving the dwarves looking longingly at the treasures just out of their reach:

For anyone who's interested, the save is here: http://www.walkingshadows.org/cmcguigan/castleofblazes/castleofblazes.zip

Score so far: Living dwarfs: 42.  Deceased dwarves (not counting merchants): 82.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 04:27:02 pm »

Congratulations!! You took what I expected to be a very simple challenge and turned it into a molten brick of awesome, complete with a blasted, scoriac landscape littered with the heat-cracked bones of unwary merchants!

Anyway, what's your challenge? Feel free to be sadistic.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:39 pm »

(I tried for *hours* to come up with a map where you could embark in a goblin tower you were at war with, but *every* *single* *one* was friendly.  Even the ones where it said the goblins were at war with you on the embark screen turned out to be "Hi, Mr. Friendly Demon!".  So instead you get this...)

New Challenge: Well, Someone Needs To Get It

Praise be to the miners!  The Royal Assaying and Mining Co. has found a new vein of adamantium, and *you*, lucky soul that you are, have been chosen to lead the expedition to retrieve them!  Are you not grateful for this oppurtunity to be of service to your kingdom?  Of course you are!

It's easy.  All you have to do is set out with your expedition of miners, dig out the adamantium, and return it to Mountainhome.  And after that, you'll be hailed as a hero of all dwarfkind.  What could be easier?  Where is the adamantium?  It's in this mountain...what was it's name..."The Putrid Spike."  Sounds like a nice place.

The Rules
1.  world_gen info

Or you can download the world (I found this in another bay12 thread): http://www.walkingshadows.org/cmcguigan/castleofblazes/World_of_caves.zip

A picture of the embark location:

I like 3x3, but you're welcome to make it larger if you want.

2.  No traps!  Traps are for elves!  No death rooms (drowning chambers, etc)!  Death rooms are fo...ok, well, death rooms are for dwarves, but killing all your opponents with a drawbridge is just too easy.

3.  No combat skills, weapons or armor on embark.  This is a mining expedition!  Where do you think you're going, some sort of warzone?

4.  Winning: Successfully offer 100 pieces of adamantium to the dwarven caravan.  "Successfully" means that the caravan leaves the map alive.  Caravans that are killed before leaving don't count. 

5.  Triple bonus points: break into the HFS before offering any adamantium to the caravans.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:58:53 pm by Magua »
Pages: [1] 2 3