Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Most horrifying injury?  (Read 14297 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most horrifying injury?
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:15:52 pm »

I've just had to pull the plug on two of my military dwarves, after realizing my encounter with the dragon was not as harmless as I thought - I'd thought just a marksdwarf died, but it turns out two of them are past the point of no return. One has his right arm and left leg ripped off, as well as spine and brain injuries, the other has similar but just one arm gone. Either way, neither of them are ever going to walk or work again, so I'm locking them in...fortunately they're "unconscious" so I don't feel as bad.

Anyway, what's the most godawfully crippling injury you've seen a dwarf sustain without dying on the battlefield? I'm talking "One" type stuff here, body parts gone, complete maiming...I'm curious what the limit is between dying and not dying (what can dwarves take?)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Most horrifying injury?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:20:49 pm »

Stonecrafter had her eyeballs ripped out by Ratmen.

When I checked her "relations" page, she had a grudge against the guy who saved her.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 07:23:21 pm »

gee, i don't generally get survivable massive injuries. generally, the most damage that doesn't cause death then and there seems to be two reds, generally limb hits.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 07:44:18 pm »

Well, I would think limbs ripped off is worse than reds...

Oh Jesus

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:13:18 pm »

The most horrific injuries I have ever seen... didn't even happen to me.  I was playing an adventurer, tying out whips.  I get attacked by wolves, 10 of them or so.  "Oh, no, I are dead, might as well go down fighting."  I attack, then page through the three pages of combat text, not really paing attention.  I notice that I have not been struck down, I check injuries... sprained my left third toe or something. Alright, not so bad... I notice that all the wolves are flashing on ground bleeding.  I notice that I am surrounded by lots of strange looking objects. I notice that those objects are more limbs and guts than wolves attacking me. 6 rounds later, I finally manage to kill a wolf.

I leave the adventurer to die.
I stop playing with whips.
The nightmares continue.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 08:15:04 pm by Time Kitten »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 08:22:56 pm »

I had a dwarf face down against old-style elephants (someone posted a mod in the mods forum to return them to their former glory). We managed to fight the elephants off, but he was left behind on the battlefield, three limbs and both eyes gone, massive internal injuries, pretty much everything that was possible to go wrong was wrong. He ended up dying of dehydration.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:41:44 pm »

I had a dwarf face down against old-style elephants (someone posted a mod in the mods forum to return them to their former glory). We managed to fight the elephants off, but he was left behind on the battlefield, three limbs and both eyes gone, massive internal injuries, pretty much everything that was possible to go wrong was wrong. He ended up dying of dehydration.

I want that mod

Oh Jesus

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 08:42:53 pm »

Well, I would think limbs ripped off is worse than reds...

true, but only really hardcore dwarves manage that. also, in my direct experience, i have NEVER actually seen a dwarf live with more than two reds. animals can manage more, and i've seen things top 2 reds, but mostly those are already dying.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:20:13 am »

I had a dwarf in a permanent coma after he got caught in the middle of a siege.
He was too tough to kill, but not too tough to pull apart.
No legs left, and only a mangled upper arm remained. Virtually all the other part sof his body were broken or mangled or missing. He'd lost his eyes, and he had a broken spine and head, and severe internal organ injury. Somehow, he lived. He was still unconscious after nearly 11 years when I finally got bored and abandoned.
He was ecstatic to the end.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Augury

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 02:34:57 pm »

I remember watching two wrestlers spar. One of them gets an injury and is bedridden for a year. Excited to see a spinal or head injury, I check his status. Everything is perfectly fine except he is MISSING a lung. I can only assume that his very rough sparring partner reached down his throat and tore it out. At least, that's what I'd like to assume.

The injured dwarf eventually recovered, but was quite prone to exhaustion.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:51:13 pm »

I remember watching two wrestlers spar. One of them gets an injury and is bedridden for a year. Excited to see a spinal or head injury, I check his status. Everything is perfectly fine except he is MISSING a lung. I can only assume that his very rough sparring partner reached down his throat and tore it out. At least, that's what I'd like to assume.

The injured dwarf eventually recovered, but was quite prone to exhaustion.

I still want to see someone's heart get ripped out.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:31:01 pm »

I had a dwarf in a permanent coma after he got caught in the middle of a siege.
He was too tough to kill, but not too tough to pull apart.
No legs left, and only a mangled upper arm remained. Virtually all the other part sof his body were broken or mangled or missing. He'd lost his eyes, and he had a broken spine and head, and severe internal organ injury. Somehow, he lived. He was still unconscious after nearly 11 years when I finally got bored and abandoned.
He was ecstatic to the end.

Holy shit
landmines have taken my sight etc etc

Oh Jesus

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:02 pm »

Holy shit
landmines have taken my sight...

But that is one FINE meal you just gave me Cog.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 05:40:16 pm »

Urist McMauledbyskeletalcarps had a Moderately wounded Brain, Spine, Mangled Left Leg, Broken Right Leg, and missing an arm. He bled out :D

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 07:28:05 pm »

Hm hard to tell..but in my current fortress I had a champion dwarf who lost his 2 arms, his left leg, 1 eye, and had some brain injuries also. Yeah my modified goblins are quite brutal.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8