Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spartan Fortress  (Read 2409 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spartan Fortress
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:00:29 pm »

Well, I just started a Spartan-style fort. 4 speardwarves, 3 peasants. Anyway, after looking through my dwarves, I found out something unusual: all of my civilians are female, and all of my speardwarves are male.

Should I try a gender segregated fort?

Also, should I play matchmaker here and put everyone in a room together? All I need is another female dwarf for a perfect balance.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:05:58 pm by inaluct »

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spartan Fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:08:16 pm »

Weren't Spartans already seperated by gender that way, with most if not all males serving military duty?

As for your question, yes, I suggest keeping it that way.

((I'll leave someone else to post the obligatory "MADNESS" joke.))
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:11:22 pm »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:36:34 pm »

Heh. See Also:

* Sparti (municipality)
    * Laconophilia (adulation of Sparta)
    * Sparta in popular culture
    * "Serbian Sparta" is a historical popular reference to Cetinje, Montenegro's capital
    * Gymnopaedia
    * Tsakonians
    * Spartiates
    * Spartan Army
    * Spartathlon
    * Gates of Fire
    * 300 (film)
    * madness

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 08:46:47 pm »

Wow, that's a pretty good coincidence there. I say roll with it.

Just think, you'll never have soldiers using baby shields or giving birth on the battlefield.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:17 pm »

I'm doing this. I'll keep you guys posted. No female soldiers, no male civilians. I hope I don't get a male master weaponsmith or something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:07:19 pm »

Remember, no iron or steel weapons, only bronze, only swords and spears, no plate armor, kill any injured dwarves, all male dwarves must serve in the military, and all liaisons or emissaries are dropped into a pit after negotiations finish.
Shoes...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:18:35 pm »

Should I make an allowance for copper weapons? Otherwise, my speardwarves will go weaponless for a while. Besides, copper is part of bronze. Also, it really should be more like "no chainmail," because hoplites wore plate armor. The ones that Iphicrates reformed didn't, but most did.

I welcome you all to nerd about this armor thing. I've got plenty of time to straighten it out.

Also, who has a suggestion for pushing people into a pit? I'm thinking retractable bridges, but I'm not sure how to do it. But I actually do want to do it.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:26:29 pm »

Should I make an allowance for copper weapons? Otherwise, my speardwarves will go weaponless for a while. Besides, copper is part of bronze. Also, it really should be more like "no chainmail," because hoplites wore plate armor. The ones that Iphicrates reformed didn't, but most did.
Well, I think they used plates but calling it platemail by Dwarven standards might be a stretch. Maybe you can justify greaves-but-no-platemail.

Too bad you can't have a warrior baron/king....

Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:29:25 pm »

And have plenty of cloaks dyes with redroot dye.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:36:54 pm »

Great ideas, people. I'll do bronze greaves and helmets and other accessory armor, but I think I'll avoid making any form of main body armor at all. Cloaks as soon as I get some more females. Dye as soon as I figure out how to actually get a dying industry up (for some reason, I end up with hundreds of weapons lying around in pyramids in all of my fortresses, but I'm too stupid to dye or weave cloth. Go figure.)

By the way, is there a way I can make my military guys take off everything but the underwear and put on the cloaks?

Speaking of stupidity, I had a dungeon master once who walked around wearing mittens, a cloak, and a hood, but that was it. She had a preference for mittens and took almost all of the ones I made.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 09:45:34 pm »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 10:24:22 pm »

Are you going with the 300 version of Spartans or historical Spartans? The two are very, very different.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:56:12 pm »

Great ideas, people. I'll do bronze greaves and helmets and other accessory armor, but I think I'll avoid making any form of main body armor at all. Cloaks as soon as I get some more females. Dye as soon as I figure out how to actually get a dying industry up (for some reason, I end up with hundreds of weapons lying around in pyramids in all of my fortresses, but I'm too stupid to dye or weave cloth. Go figure.)

By the way, is there a way I can make my military guys take off everything but the underwear and put on the cloaks?

Speaking of stupidity, I had a dungeon master once who walked around wearing mittens, a cloak, and a hood, but that was it. She had a preference for mittens and took almost all of the ones I made.
Wow she must have been very... loose. Did she come like that?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 11:02:59 pm »

Yeah, she came like that. I locked her in a clothes stockpile once. She didn't touch anything but the mittens.

Also, I'm going for a blend of the 300 and historical Spartans. Personally, I'm more of an Athens man myself, but Spartans are more appealing to people. I'd like to drop liaisons down wells, though.
Pages: [1] 2