Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: The forum is changing in a bad way?  (Read 9018 times)

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: The forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2008, 10:21:53 am »

You're right, Jifodus. How dare they make jokes like that. Awful.
I'm only answering this one, it wouldn't be bad, except almost every single thread devolves into these pointless jokes. So it is awful. I wouldn't mind if there were jokes, but only if they weren't in every single thread on every single page.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2008, 10:59:41 am »

I'm only answering this one, it wouldn't be bad, except almost every single thread devolves into these pointless jokes. So it is awful. I wouldn't mind if there were jokes, but only if they weren't in every single thread on every single page.

I couldn't agree more. I've talked about this with some other oldies on IRC, and they are also on this opinion. I mean even in this topic, some people are acting like a 10 years old.

This forum is almost as mature as the World of Warcraft forums. Slightly better still. It's a shame since it was much better 1-2 years ago. It was something like the Dominions 3. forum. The only difference is, that the Dominions 3. forum is still mature and decent enough, and it is not filled with this 'I try to be funny so I post some random garbage in 10/9 of my posts.'
Yeah something like this:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25372.msg295560#msg295560

^ Now look at that, and he has even listed himself as a community leader! This is even bad for a joke. Nonsense indeed.

I am also sure that most of these people, who are responsible to ruin the quality of this forum, are not even donating a single $ probably. These are mostly kids.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:06:54 am by gimli »

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2008, 11:41:02 am »

I couldn't agree more. I've talked about this with some other oldies on IRC, and they are also on this opinion. I mean even in this topic, some people are acting like a 10 years old.

This forum is almost as mature as the World of Warcraft forums. Slightly better still. It's a shame since it was much better 1-2 years ago. It was something like the Dominions 3. forum. The only difference is, that the Dominions 3. forum is still mature and decent enough, and it is not filled with this 'I try to be funny so I post some random garbage in 10/9 of my posts.'

^ Now look at that, and he has even listed himself as a community leader! This is even bad for a joke. Nonsense indeed.

I am also sure that most of these people, who are responsible to ruin the quality of this forum, are not even donating a single $ probably. These are mostly kids.

I'm staying out of the main discussion because I don't want to accidentally flame. (I'll just say I'd like a little more seriousness too - even one month ago when I first came here it seems like the forums had a higher ratio of well-thought and interesting posts to random jokes about carp... which still are more "on topic" than some of the jokes.)

But I sadly have not yet donated - I've a really awful paying job at the moment. However, I have an interview tomorrow morning; if I get the job I'll make a donation with my first paycheck. Wish me luck! :)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2008, 03:09:05 pm »

I wish I had seen even one thread that "devolved into pointless jokes" so I would know what you guys are talking about

Even one thread that ran its course, got everything said that needed to be and THEN devolved into pointless jokes
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2008, 03:36:50 pm »

Those two traits (not donating & being a kid) are very loosely correlated at best.  I suspect that lack of donation is also at best only loosely correlated to low quality posts.

Also, I grammatify good.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »

Quote from: Jude
I wish I had seen even one thread that "devolved into pointless jokes" so I would know what you guys are talking about

Not to agree with Gimli here, but, uh, I was kinda hoping that my politics topic could mostly be about serious stuff...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2008, 04:47:31 pm »

Oh Gimli, that Troll in dwarf's clothing.

I figure the main reason why most of us are acting 'stupid' is out of anticipation from not hearing from toady in a while.

I liked the us from about 6 months ago, the one with Fenrir and Armok.

Whatever happened to armok anyways?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2008, 04:53:59 pm »

Wish I knew.
We need both Fenrir and Armok back. There was no need to devolve threads for fun when they would constantly RP.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2008, 05:10:45 pm »

Have they been gone that long?  My how time flies.
I can see how the RP might annoy the hell out of some people.  I didn't mind it, though.  I did find Armok's "ZOMG you badmouthed kobolds illkillyou" schtick obnoxious.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2008, 05:19:10 pm »

Armok was the forum mascot.  Sure, he could be outstandingly annoying, but you still loved him. 

At least a little.

Well, sometimes.

Fenrir was pretty nice.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2008, 11:20:11 pm »

Gimli, you haven't really done anything for the past few months but whine, have you? Please, post some constructive advice, rather than criticizing everything without suggesting any actions to be taken. In my eyes, you are acting rather more immature than Kagus, who at least does something constructive every once in a while.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Angellus

« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2008, 04:18:22 pm »

Geebus, I'm gone for a few weeks and you guys let the trolls in  ::)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2008, 04:26:53 pm »

... But you're our squad commander! We were just following you! :-[

Was nobody at their guard posts this whole time?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2008, 09:58:04 pm »

... But you're our squad commander! We were just following you! :-[

Was nobody at their guard posts this whole time?

This is why I love these forums.  You, sir, deserve a cookie:  http://internetcookie.ytmnd.com/

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2008, 11:23:19 pm »

Seeing a certain blatantly trollish and disrespectful thread recently is going to force me to cast my vote thusly:

YES, THIS FORUM IS RAPIDLY GOING DOWNHILL.

I won't link to said thread because I'd rather it never existed in the first place.
火族
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9