Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man  (Read 13405 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Help stop Georgia from executing an innocent man
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2008, 10:59:29 am »

My point is a different one. My point is that helping those who you barely care about, is not the same as helping those who you actually care about. By filling a 3 minute form, you are only helping yourself, calming your mind. "I am a good guy, because I just did something good".
At this point, it does not even matter if you fail or not. If you fail, you will shrug it off, blame government and all those who "lacked human empathy", and then go back to normal life.

If I happened to fail at cooking awesome food, and thus ruin someones 18th birthday, I would feel embarrassed and sad for weeks, and even with my friend telling me it is not my fault, I know that I am the one to blame.

This is the difference.

When you happen to fail, you can just shrug it off and blame everyone but you for the failure.
If I fail, it affects me.

You are trying to help, and take the way of the least resistance. It has no consequences for you if you fail. If you win, you'd cheer , mostly silently to yourself. There is no risk involved, no personal sacrifice, nothing. A good samaritan you are indeed.

Edit: I am not saying "do not help people". stop antagonizing me. I am saying that filling a pre-made form for a random stranger is no help at all.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:01:20 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:38 am »

My point is a different one. My point is that helping those who you barely care about, is not the same as helping those who you actually care about. By filling a 3 minute form, you are only helping yourself, calming your mind. "I am a good guy, because I just did something good".
At this point, it does not even matter if you fail or not. If you fail, you will shrug it off, blame government and all those who "lacked human empathy", and then go back to normal life.

If I happened to fail at cooking awesome food, and thus ruin someones 18th birthday, I would feel embarrassed and sad for weeks, and even with my friend telling me it is not my fault, I know that I am the one to blame.

This is the difference.

When you happen to fail, you can just shrug it off and blame everyone but you for the failure.
If I fail, it affects me.

You are trying to help, and take the way of the least resistance. It has no consequences for you if you fail. If you win, you'd cheer , mostly silently to yourself. There is no risk involved, no personal sacrifice, nothing. A good samaritan you are indeed.
I can't drive to every goddamn protest and i never claimed to be a goddamn saint. i did what i could to help the man. prove that i don't care about him at all. you can't

edit: if I win i would be happy for him not cheering for myself like some goddamn idiot
edit2:
Edit: I am not saying "do not help people". stop antagonizing me. I am saying that filling a pre-made form for a random stranger is no help at all.
its ALL I CAN FUCKING DO AT THE MOMENT HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO KEEP SAYING THIS
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:04:47 am by Thunderwoot »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2008, 11:04:34 am »

I dare say, a protest is not much of help either. Even there, if you fail, you will just blame someone else. It is the way of the least resistance.

Hey, you said it yourself, you are doing what you can. How about wasting time on that and helping somewhere where you can actually make a difference ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2008, 11:05:36 am »

I dare say, a protest is not much of help either. Even there, if you fail, you will just blame someone else. It is the way of the least resistance.

Hey, you said it yourself, you are doing what you can. How about wasting time on that and helping somewhere where you can actually make a difference ?
i already do what i can to make a difference. and no i'm not referring to sending faxes to people over the internet

nevermind now i'm just getting angry at you can someone please tell me how i can close this thread

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 11:48:28 am »

The way I see this is that a three minute form might make a difference, but as stated, Georgia's law system is corrupt, and would probably ignore the form.
To be honest I never expected him to get away, but Akroma, you gave up before you even tried.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 11:50:21 am »

how can I give up on something that I never fought for ?

at least I had the guts to admit that I do not care wether he dies, or his family dies, or his entire hometown suddenly gets destroyed by a flood/tornado/earthquake

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 01:11:12 pm »

Is it wrong that only now do I realize that the Georgia you guys are referring to is not the Georgia I was thinking about? The Eastern Europe Georgia...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 03:34:26 pm »

It's okay, you're a giant orbital cannon, and therefore incapable of thought.

Also, what about the people supporting the death penalty?  They don't know the people who were murdered, and they didn't shed a tear when they died.  Trust me, I live with a family of pro-death penalty, anti-abortion conservatives.  They don't actually care about the victims, they've just been trained to assume that it's right.  And on the topic of caring, I do.  I stay up at night feeling physically ill at the thought of how many people die senseless deaths to make the lives of others more convenient, or to give a hollow sense of vindication to the family of someone who was murdered.  Just because you have no empathy for the people you don't personally know, doesn't mean the rest of us are like that, too.
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2008, 04:46:15 pm »

I'm sure that we had the anti/pro death penalty debate months ago.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2008, 05:01:41 pm »

We did.
Shoes...

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2008, 05:03:59 pm »

I'm sure that we had the anti/pro death penalty debate months ago.
i didn't really mean for this thread to turn into another one. even pro death penalty people like bob barr and the goddamn pope were trying to keep this guy from getting executed so i figured nobody would try to get into it here.

edit: what i'm saying here is sorry for the shitty thread guys  :-[

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2008, 05:09:48 pm »

i didn't really mean for this thread to turn into another one. even pro death penalty people like bob barr and the goddamn pope were trying to keep this guy from getting executed so i figured nobody would try to get into it here.

Seems to me that people like you are just using this man's situation as a visage to say that all death penalties should be abolished because of one ass-backwards state decision.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:52 pm »

Seems to me that people like you are just using this man's situation as a visage to say that all death penalties should be abolished because of one ass-backwards state decision.
no i'm not. i would be for abolishing the death penalty even if we could find out who was guilty with 100% accuracy. the reason i posted this thread is to try and do a little to help a guy out

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 06:22:04 pm »

no i'm not. i would be for abolishing the death penalty even if we could find out who was guilty with 100% accuracy. the reason i posted this thread is to try and do a little to help a guy out

Yet you continue to argue that you're a good guy even though you honestly couldn't give any less of a damn about him. I'm all for activism (if it isn't just to push someone's misguided political agenda). Not this kind.

Thunderwoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2008, 06:24:32 pm »

Yet you continue to argue that you're a good guy even though you honestly couldn't give any less of a damn about him. I'm all for activism (if it isn't just to push someone's misguided political agenda). Not this kind.
when did i say i don't give a damn? i DO give a damn and i DO want to save this guy. this sounds corny as hell but it honestly does hurt me that you don't think i give a damn about this guys life
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6