Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Half-Life 2 mods.  (Read 2907 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Half-Life 2 mods.
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:57:23 am »

Heres a list of the best mods out there atm.

1. Empires - FPS/RTS - One person takes command in the RTS seat and controls building buildings, making vehicals, and researching new stuff.
http://www.empiresmod.com/
2. Zombie Panic! Source - Zombie survival Horror.
http://www.zombiepanic.org/site/index.php
3. Dystopia - Cyberpunk FPS/Hacker game. Very good cyberspace areas. A tad like Planetside class wise.
http://www.dystopia-game.com/
4. Eternal Silence - FPS and Spaceship shooter. (Not many people play it, which is a shame cause its very fun. They are updating to v3.2 sometime soon which will be good)
http://www.eternal-silence.net/
5. Hidden source. FPS where its a team vs one guy whose invisible. Very fun.
http://www.hidden-source.com/
6. Zombie Master.
http://www.zombiemaster.org/
Those are three must downloads I have to say. Anyone else got any more suggestions?
P.s Heres my steam ID if anyone wants to play - Nilocy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:05:44 am by Nilocy »

Habblatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Half-Life 2 mods.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:19:35 am »

You should add Zombie Master.
http://www.zombiemaster.org/
It's a mix of FPS and RTS. The zombie master controls the game like an RTS. The objective of the zombie master is (ofcourse) to kill the survivors with his/her NPC minions and traps.
The survivors have to do objectives and survive through the game.
It's a really awesome game.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:25:09 am by Habblatic »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »

Zombie Master is very hit-and-miss, most of the highly-played maps are terrible.
Shoes...

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:51 pm »

Zombie Master is very hit-and-miss, most of the highly-played maps are terrible.

It's pretty much this. One thing they constantly seem to do is give the players ridiculous amounts of weapons and ammo, thus making it easy street for the entire map and removing any sense of fear or nervousness.

Anyway, I just tried eternal-silence and I must say I am very impressed. It seemed like there was only one server that had anybody on it, which (as the OP said) is a shame because this game can be incredibly entertaining. Definitely gets my recommendation.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 08:38:58 pm »

No Garry's Mod? Technically, it was a Half-Life 2 mod when it started.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:03:39 pm »

The Hidden: Source used to consume my time.

It's one of those games that's genuinely scary.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:54:40 am »

The Hidden: Source used to consume my time.

It's one of those games that's genuinely scary.

Ahh, ha ha....  Damn, I still remember that one time I managed to seriously freak out the I.R.I.S. team...  One guy had taken command of the squad, and was barking orders over voicechat.  Everyone had bundled up on one side of this tiny little map (it's a little platform in the middle of the ocean.  Makes for some rather frenzied gameplay), and he was standing on a railing and keeping an eye out.

I was just wandering around and trying to find a weak spot in their defenses.  I was walking past this abandoned hut on the other side of the platform/island, when I suddenly stopped moving.

I had just walked over the door, which was lying on the ground.  Due to the wonderful physics system, this meant I was glued in place while the door scraped loudly across the ground, throwing sparks as it went.  Talk about a beacon.

I guess I had spent quite a while just staying out of view, because there was obviously some tension in the IRIS ranks.  The self-appointed squad leader started shouting frantically and getting everyone to shoot at the door.  I started smashing buttons like made to get out of the way as a storm of bullets slammed into the side of the building.  I managed to get out of the door's grasp, but I thought I was done for.  I ran for a little bit and then looked back to see why I wasn't dead yet.

They were all still shooting at the door.  I could hear the leader's voice coming over voicechat as he encouraged his men to keep firing.

There was something in that voice, a particular tonal quality.  He was scared.  He was damn scared.

I've never felt like that before.  And I haven't felt it since.  My body seemed to gain an electric current, and my spine was warm with a tingling sense of ecstasy.  The only way I could describe it was a "Fear high".  Somehow, the fact that I had instilled terror in someone made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I then noticed a newly-opened weakness in the line.  Almost everyone had left their positions in order to shoot at the door, which had caused more damage to me than anyone else. 

Almost.

El Capitan was still sitting on his railing and giving orders.  Sitting on the railing which was just one hop away from my current position.

*Sproing*

"He's right there, by the building!  Shoot him!  Shoot him!  Sh- wait, what the-...?"

*shhnk*

"Crap."

They managed to get me later on, but it was totally worth it.  I had a buzz for a couple hours after that.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 04:06:15 am »

Yeah, its a good game from what i remember. Completely forgot it existed until right now. Do many people still play it?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 05:47:34 am »

That game can't be played in large doses... at least not as it's meant to be played.  I don't like playing the Hidden cause I suck, but playing IRIS is awesome with a good hidden.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:27:04 am »

Yeah, its a good game from what i remember. Completely forgot it existed until right now. Do many people still play it?
Depends on the time of day. Aussies play it a lot.

normally I see a good 30-50 people on.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:02 am »

Aye had a little game or two of it a few days back. But I got back into Empires mod. Had a few fun fights of 30 vs 30.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 05:59:09 am »

this "hidden" thing sounds interesting, i really want to give it a try.

now here comes the stupid question:
do i need hl2 to play it, or will tf2 do?

back in ye olde days you only needed one product that used the hl engine to play all the mods out there, but how is it these days?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:11:21 am »

I think you only need the Source SDK, it doesn't use any of Half-Life 2's models or anything, so you should be fine.

On the topic of fear.  Decay is wonderful for fear.  It's dark, lots of creepy noises, and many, many places to scare them.  If they're camping in the lower eastern hallway, you can drop a small armoire right in front of them, they freak out.  A really good one is to wait next to the piano if they're standing nearby, and if they walk away, play it and run.  Make it really obvious you're the one doing it.  They'll freak out.
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 12:13:48 pm »

Wow, no PVK?
Pirates, Vikings and Knights.

FPS with cold weapons, guns and explosives. 3 teams.

www.pvkii.com

It's very fun.

P.S. Ver. 2.2 came out 12th of september.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:15:25 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 12:28:03 pm »

You get a very different perspective on that game after being a member of the forums for as long as I have.  A rather depressing perspective.

I don't play PVKII anymore.
Pages: [1] 2