Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shouldnt Rivers/Ponds have sloped sides?  (Read 1449 times)

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shouldnt Rivers/Ponds have sloped sides?
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:58:21 pm »

When was the last time you saw a natural pond/river where the land around it was perfectly flat but as soon as you met water it was eight feet deep?
Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Shouldnt Rivers/Ponds have sloped sides?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:15:42 pm »

This should be in the eternal suggestion list thing, seriously.  It comes up pretty often and it's a total no-brainer.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:19:12 pm »

I think I've had dwarves try to path (and walk) through deep water before via ramps. I'm not sure, though; can anyone else say?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:22:49 pm »

This should be in the eternal suggestion list thing, seriously.  It comes up pretty often and it's a total no-brainer.

Done

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:02:14 pm »

I think I've had dwarves try to path (and walk) through deep water before via ramps. I'm not sure, though; can anyone else say?

No. They pathfind over ramps which are water-filled though. Dwarf then freaks out.
Toady can fix this by not allowing water to seep into a ramp. Or maybe something like below:

W = water ; w =water(open space) ; R = ramp ; r = ramp(open space); L = wall ; G = ground

top-down Zlvl1:
wGL
wrL
wGL

top-down Zlvl0:
WLL
WRL
WLL

on Zlvl0, the terrain of the WR could look like this:

W     R
w     w
w     w
w     w
w     r
w     r
w     r
w     r

W has 7 units of water(is full and dangerous), while the Ramp has 4 units of ramp, and 3 units of water(full and safe).

If the ramp construction would half-occupy a square like this, then dwarves could wade through it without fear of drowning.
Heck, brooks could be made to work proper, even.

I realize that adding individual 'ramp items' like this would seriously bog down gameplay, but if we made them a sort of 'half-filled' square and hardcoded ramps and brookbeds like this then it could be pulled off i think. One could ascend and descend by using these ramps/brookbeds on top of a 'full' square like normal.
it would look something like this ;

ramp into water:
W     R       L
w      w      |
w      w      |
w    _w____|
w   |
w   |
w   |
w   |

Or:

one-tile wide brook(B):
L      B        L
 |     w      |
 |     w      |
 |___w____|
>FILLED<
>FILLED<
>FILLED<
>FILLED<

It's a hassle to keep track of dwarves running up and down z-levels, so i added that as a suggestion! Toady, you can maybe use the code for displaying trees as blocks, and display dwarves as maybe rocks of the corresponding colour!
It would make wading through the brook pretty unintuitive otherwise!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:45:20 am by Dwaref »
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:27:06 am »

Agreed. I had a poor dwarf drown because he couldn't get out of a freshly-thawed pool during spring. So, I went and drained all the pools I could and made the remaining restricted movement so my dwarves wouldn't walk over the ice and get dropped in when spring hits.

Annoying.

And making brooks out of ramps which could only fill to 3/7 or so, instead of some kind of exception to a river square which is walkable, is a great idea. Seconded.

If Toady wants to get really detailed, if the game keeps track of the flow of water in the brooks, places in the brook which get more narrow perhaps are deeper (and thus rampless) to compensate for the water flow. And likewise for rivers, making it possible to have fordable rivers (where it is thus wider and shallower) and some spots in brooks which are uncrossable. More dynamic landscapes always = good.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:30:41 am by TrombonistAndrew »

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 10:34:43 am »

I think a brook composed entirely of ramps would block trade wagons which we defiantly don't want.  Can someone test this.  But I agree the ramp based brook is a very good way to 'normalize' the brook into the rest of the terrain system while making it shallow and passable on foot.  The current brook might be modified into a  'stream' tile that acts as a water transmitting floor and dose not extend into the lower z level.  This would represent water less then 1/7 deep, streams would almost always be 1 wide and could form when ever water flows over dirt or rough stone for an extended period of time.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download