Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50786 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 02:28:58 am »

Err...Weaver?

No...Hunter! If you have a crosssbow or other spare weapon. I could also tame war dogs.

Weaver till then.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 02:30:17 am »

I join.
I'll be your carpenter, and bowyer.
And marksdwarf. Maybe hunter too. Ok with farming..

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 03:00:07 am »

Shouldn't it be sneaky patricia

Not really. i've known plenty of girls called peter/peta.
Magma is overrated.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 03:31:46 am »

Realy? I've never heard the name used on a girl =\
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 03:43:30 am »

I think all the dwarves are taken but if you will take me sign me up if not i will just take the first child :D

Name:Sarek
Proffesion:Axe Dwarf
Personality:Proffesional and intelligent warrior with good leadership abilities who is also reasonably quiet and reserved however he gets along with his comrades and will give his life for them
Backround:Sarek was a minor captain at his previous home where daily routines filled him with unimaginable boredom. However after meeting and being accepted into the clan Ibruk he found his life anew with excitement but then after the elven attack he is now simply desiring revenge for his former comrades, to hopefully help lead this fort to new glories and while still sane he will take the life of any elf he sees.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 03:47:28 am »

Well darn should have counted before i wrote it's already about three dwarves overfull  ;D

ah well good luck with the thread anyway and remember me when the children come :D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 04:47:06 am »

Just curious, will you be building traps for the elf caravan, or using Companion to mark them as hostile? And I've got to get in on this fortress. Can I reserve one of the future babies?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 07:21:33 am »

Could you add a Ukat Luslemidek please?  Preferably a dwarf with an interesting neurosis (crippling paranoia, etc.) but not strictly neccessary.  Ukat is interested in mechanics and traps and hopes to one day make giant siege machines and other contraptions to cut down the elves like grass.

Sludge Puzzlebrain huh? I like it.

Also Frelock, you are in luck. There is a pefect dwarf for you in the two remaining. :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:23:20 am by Jamini »
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 08:09:29 am »

29th Obsidian

It behooves me that I have not yet spoken much about the rest of the party. Or, rather, I haven't had the time too. There is precious any other person to read this script, after all, so perhaps there is no real need. But, well... This journal feels incomplete without at least a quick overview of the people who are with me.

First, I suppose, there is myself. Back in the mountainhomes I had been the child of a military couple, one of several. Living with so many others, I learned quickly how to socialize with others, how to ignore the slights they give and handle the hurtful comments they made. Be they intended or not.

Out of the others, there are two who I could call a good friend. The first is Frea Romekrur, my foil in nearly every sense of the word. When I simply ignore a slight, she is easy to rile into a rage, and while I enjoy a little excitement and extravagance once in a while, she prefers a more simple approach to her work. Why we get along so well, I really do not know. It's probably because we simply don't have a reason to fight.

... her parents cooking was always good, at any rate.

The second dwarf I know well in our little caravan is Ukat Luslemidek, a childhood friend of mine who met up with me on the road. Ukat has always been something of a crackpot. She's almost never calm and relaxed, her narrow grey eyes constantly darting back and forth in time with her wringing hands. Quick to argue a point, and even faster to apologize when somebody becomes even the littlest bit upset about her words, it's a miracle that Ukat doesn't break down and start breaking things in a normal day. Strangely enough, she is the one who knows virtually everybody else in the caravan.

The others I do not know as well. Mulch and Abod I have spoken some on already. The  latter had introduced her quiet friend to the rest of us. Little Echo, she gave no other name. The only one of us who really knew her before our flight was Abod, and the smith has very little to say about her aside that she is a very kind, if quiet person.

The last member of our group is the antithesis of little Echo. Tall, brazen, and loud, the final member of our group, "Sneaky" Pete Libashrit is nothing more than a pain at times, and a roaring laugh at others. When asked about his nickname, the giant of a dwarf laughed and regaled us with a story of how his mother had caught him attempting to steal his fathers Steel Axe as an adolescent. Without flinching he went on to detail the beating he had received from both, one after another, and the harsh words they had given him. Apparently, after he endured the gauntlet, his father had made a promise to young Pete. That when he was unable to stand, be it by death or incapacitation, Pete would be allowed to use his axe, and not a day before. Needless to say, he holds onto that heirloom with a grim determination now.

I wrote too long, daylight is dawning outside. I suppose I need to hurry up and go help the others pack up camp.

---------------------------------------------
Remaining Profiles

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 08:40:14 am »

Love the contridictory personality.  It mirrors my own pretty closely.  I mixed up the name a bit though, ment it to be "Ucat" not "Ukat", chalk it up to differences in dialect what with the different sides of the mountain.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 01:52:00 am »

Emm. I don't get in, do I?
Well, my 2 cents. I revising my profile

Name:Feb
Proffesion:Markdwarf, Carpenter, Bowyer, any you see fit

Feb hate the elves, but for now, he agree to the need for lie down, to ensure Dwarves' continued reign in this world.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 05:51:35 am »

It'd totally ask you to dwarf me... If a wasn't running a fortress in the same world.  ;)

I chose a spot with sand, magma and flux because i knew that the only steel we'd ever get is that we make with flux we mine. I also embarked with every kind of underground seed, as that would be the only way to have them. It's in the middle of a forest though, no mountains. We're kinda far from the old mountainhalls though, we get different elves here. Got past the aquifer by digging next to the magma, which was conveniently sealed by an obsidian plug, keeping the nasties inside.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 01:15:11 pm »

The Events as they happened on Granite 1st

"This is it?" Pete snorted as the wagon ground to a halt at the edge of the forest, where the tall and powerful pines and oaks began to give way to rough, lichen-covered rocks. Disdainfully he kicked at a pebble, sending it sliding down the shallow slope towards the nearby brook, "You've got to be kidding me, what sort of junk are you trying to pull Rikkir?"

"I think it's quaint." Ucat proclaimed, a relived look on her face as she unshouldered her pack and bedroll onto the silty loam in before her feet. Nearby, Frea did the same, pulling free a small mug and filling it with wine from one of the barrels in the wagon. "It's certainly defensible."

Mulch grinned at the dwarf who had become there de facto leader wryly, picking up a few loose stones and idly shaping it with a chisel he produced from his own pack. "That's why we picked this site, after all."

Pete glared at Mulch and Rikkir, his eyes flashing wildly, "You're all daft! Look at those mountains, they're all granite. We won't find any useful ore here. What will we do when the elves come calling with bows and swords? Hit them with rock clubs?" His great red face was flushed with anger, and his fists knotted tightly. He looked ready to hit Mulch when a small hand rested itself on his shoulder. Pete turned to face this new adversary, starting when he saw the gentle face of Echo looking at him with a steady blue gaze.

Rikkir spent only a moment to nod to echo before staring Pete full-on. "This place was picked for a number of reasons Pete, the foremost being our defense. Look, what do you see to the north and east?"

The big dwarf stopped, confused for a bare moment, before turning to where Rikkir indicated, "Mountains, stone." he said simply after a brief pause.

"Right, steep mountains. Now imagine if you needed to come to this place, where would you approach from?" Rikkir pressed, her hands sweeping over the horizen. Including the lush forests to the south and the long mountain range to the north.

"Well... er... The south probably." Pete muttered, slight confusion in his voice, "Those mountain slopes are pretty steep, so I'd almost definatly come from the south."

"Right, so now we know where they are coming from. What if we were to say... build a large wall and moat to the south? Wouldn't that slow down anyone coming in from that direction?" Rikkir pressed, approaching the confused male dwarf with a grin on her face. In fact, if we built it up enough, and put down enough traps would anything be able to get into our home?"

"And who's going to do all the digging and building?" Pete retorted, waving his hand in the exact same manner Rikkir had just a moment ago. "There are only seven of us, who will have the free time, in between growing food, harvesting, and building?"

"I'll do it myself. Just as soon as the farms are dug out."

"That's madness." the big dwarf looked shocked as Rikkir knelt down to Mulch's pack and drew out a pick. "You'll work yourself to exhaustion just trying to get it done in a reasonable amount of time!"

Rikkir simply shook her head and lifted the pick, her voice raising and deepening until it seemed to come from the very mountain itself. "Then help me get it done. Grab your gear and get moving. We need to have a safe home by winter!"

"Strike the Earth!"

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:56 pm »

Later that day, granite 1st.

"We'll start there" Rikkir said as she pointed at the intersection of four small ponds, indicating a dry patch of earth hardly fourteen meteres across at it's narrowes point. Where she pointed a number of tall trees swayed in the breeze.

-"There? Why there?" Ucat and Abod asked in unison, both taking a long look at their chosen leader. "Wouldn't we do better to dig into the cliff face?" Abod continued with a frown.

Rikker shook her head and pointed at the low peaks immediatly visible around them, "Pete was right, for the most part, about the amount of metal in granite. Although he could have put it a better way. If there is any metal worth digging up it's much more likely to be underneath the forest where a sedimentary layer is going to be. Particularily copper or iron, which would be more useful to us than the gold or silver we might find in the deeper layers.", as she paused she noted Abod's disdainful look and sighed again, "Stop that Abod.  Once we have what we'll need for defense I'll go into the mountain proper and dig out some valuable metals with my bare hands if I must.

The others seemed satisfied by that, and Abod quickly went back to hauling goods as Rikker pulled a pair of picks from her pack and set the spare on the ground with a light clunk.

"Hoy, Diggums. Come over here and live up to your name. We need to get a bolt-hole dug by morning." She called over to the stout dwarf, causing his head to raise in confusion.

"Huh... me?" He asked, bewildered as he looked at the others around him, "erm... why?"

Rikker simply smiled; A predatory, enigmic smile, "I've got two picks, and you said you like working with stone. Help me with this and you'll get dibs on the masonry workshop." With that she turned away and began walking towards the dig site.

The male dwarf stood confused for a moment as the remaining five fixed their eyes on him, his shoulders slumped and his brow knotted. Within a few minutes he seemed to resign his composure. He walked over to the pick and grabbed it, following Rikker over towards the area between the lakes. "The lady's in charge." he muttered to himself, not overly displeased.

7th Granite - The Logbook of Rikkir Esker

Likot surely blesses our venture. Hardly a week has passed on our embarking here and we have found a vien of casserite nearly directly below the wagons. I've ordered it to be mostly left alone now, except for the space we need for food stores. Once I get a bit better at not turning stone into tiny unworkable gravel I'll need to see the extent of the vien.

In this first week I have worked harder than I ever have before. The earth is harsh and unrelenting as I dig through it, and the granite below is even harder. The others say the same, as they each work on their own appointed tasks. Cutting, digging, hauling, and building. It is strenuous work.

28th Granite

Progress has been slow, but steady in the last month. Our future home is slowly taking shape.

The Masons and Carpenters workshops are finally build now, and our sweet pod plots are beginning to sprout.

Echo should be happy.

14th Slate

Although it took him two weeks to finish, Mulch has declaired our central meeting area finished. It's not much to look at, hardly more than a raised platform constructed of granite blocks. I heard Frea mention something about possibly having a party at the end of spring to celebrate our survival.

I'll need to reminder her that parties are very detrimental to our survival at this point.

25th Slate

Echo finished bringing in her first harvest today. Looking at the small number of plants brought in, I can't help but wonder how they will feed us all in the long run.

Oh well, worst case I can always send Pete out to go wrestle some animals to death.

14th Felsite

Found a little bismuth today. Who knows, perhaps we will find copper tomorrow.

24th Felsite

We started work on Abod's bedroom today, mostly because she is the one who will need the most room for her work. Three workshops, one large stockpile of materials. It'll be a large undertaking, and getting it out of the way means that we can get some smithing operations going topside. There were a few objections, but nothing substantial enough to warrant me changing our work priorities.

16 Malachite

Our first crop of Pig tail came in today. I told Pete to go weave it and make it into something useful, like a bag so that Echo can mill our cave wheat. Initially he objected, but when I mentioned that Ucat used to have a crush on a clothier he quickly changed his tune.

I'm fairly glad I never mentioned what she did to the clothier after she found him cheating on her. Urist Escog was never able to sit quite properly since that day.

Sparrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:17:18 pm »

Sign me up for some child, if there will be any.

Name: Sparrow
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29