Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]  (Read 50782 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Last Dwarves in the world. Ulogeshud[Community Fortress]
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 05:05:13 pm »

Can we get some pictures of the fort and maby a picture of the area around it?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 02:07:35 am »

Hehe, my character is shaping up to be a lot like me in real life!
Magma is overrated.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:55 am »

With so few to feed you can (and probably should) stop planting by the third year. Then you can plant once a year to make sure you don't run out.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 12:57:43 pm »

11th Galena

Today has been an irritating day. I was out working on the moat for our home, and Abod runs up to me and tells me a raccoon was wandering around near her forges. I dismissed her, telling her the damn critter was probably gone in the time that she took to run to tell me and run back, and to never bother me with it again.

After the dejected smith left I began to feel relived that it hadn't been anything serious. You know, just everyone's imaginations getting to them as we struggled to get ourselves established. My relief was short-lived when Frea came to me and said that she couldn't work because raccoons were bothering her. When I told her to ignore it she said the thing scared her.

Scared. Of. Raccoons.

By the time I had got poor Frea settled and sent back to her duties, Ucat had come to me and told me that a trio of raccoons were bothering her when she was going to work on the traps on the southern gate.

I'd had enough, with a shout loud enough that it's likely the mountainhomes would have heard us had they still been alive, I called Pete over. Without any complaint he quickly took his axe and mulched the three bothersome animals in two strokes each.

Perhaps he isn't so bad after all.

10th Limestone

Our alcohol reserve is dangerously low. I've ordered more drinks brewed as soon as it is feasable. However, the small size our our harvest works against us as we wait for plants to finish growing.

16th Limestone

"Help! Somebody found us!" Ucat's voice rang across our home, bouncing grimly against the mountain and reflecting across the small huts that we had erected over the stairs that led down into our home. As I hurried over to help her I feared the worst, scrambling for my pick as it lay under my bed and rushing topside to make my final stand against the elves.

Needless to say by the time I got topside I was suprised to find Ucat standing over the bloody body of a kobold, slowly rolling down the slight incline.

Upon recitation of the battle, he had only taken two light punches in the gut before being sent flying nearly seven meters by Ucat's fist.

What a wimp. I've ordered it's weapon to be melted down.

23rd Limestone

Today Mulch and Echo found two other Kobolds trying to sneak into our stockpiles. Unfortunately they both escaped before we could catch them, but our stock records reported nothing missing.

I dearly hope that the elves do not receive word that we are here from the mouth of the skulking vermin. This faux pa might very well be our downfall.

16th Sandstone

The trees have begun to change color, vivid reds, oranges, yellows, and brown that bring to mind memories of long-forgotten friends. Although this place is so far from home, it also undertakes in the changing of seasons that inspired so many a dwarven adventurer's heart into seeking far-off lands and uncovering long-lost treasures.

I miss my family.

13th Moonstone

Winter has come. The weather is cold and the trees wither, but the water has not frozen yet, nor do I think it will. This is fortunate, since in digging our moat across the local spring has caused the pit to slowly fill to the brim with water. Had water frozen here, my efforts would have been for naught, as it is the icy-cold water proves a formidable barrier.

I've been thinking about this winter. While our food stock are not overfilling, they are not in any danger of running out, and either way we do not have any of the mythical plump helmet crops that our ancesters did, there is no food that we can grow in the colder months of the year. Seeing as this is the case, I've declaired that winter shall be a season of rest and jubilation. In celebration of our continued survival, the entire three months will be a long party in which we can follow our own pursuits freely and without prejudice.

Pete has hosted a party over by our meeting area, I think i'll ask Mulch if he wishes to dance.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 01:01:59 pm »

The fort really doesn't have much in it right now. The most notable thing about the fort is that much of it (including the farms, by an amazing feat of engineering) is aboveground.

The only real significant feature is the giant ditch I dug to cut off our wood supply and fortress entrance from any dangerous critters that can't fly. The only way into our lands is through a triple-thick block of stonefall traps that has a bridge on either side (eventually I'm hoping to get a 3-square wall all around the site, but that'll take years with the dwarfpower we have on hand.

More and interesting updates will be coming. I haven't mentioned all of the things I've discovered about this fortress yet, some of which will be dangerously *fun*.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 01:16:15 pm »

20th Opal

Oh stars! Beutiful, dancing

Today Mulch proposed to me. To me, and not to any of the others! That patient, clever dwarf to whom I find myself unable to do anything but accept his proposal.

Likewise, Frea has secretly confessed to me that she and Pete have agreed to get married, once our home is safely secured.

The two of us have begun planning the ceramonies, unbeknownest to our fiancees. Abod and echo have agreed to be out maids of honor, while Ukat will preside over the ceramony as an official in my place.

Oh! Happy day! I'm getting married, soon!

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 03:14:39 pm »

Oh wow, I dont check in for a day and I get three updates. Wonderfull. Mulch suggests once we start working again that we carve out a house. Mulch will provide the statues doors and what not =] and possibly the engraving.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »

I'm actually approaching the end of year 2. Working with only seven dwarves really speeds up each year significantly. I don't think waiting for the first few children to grow up will be a big problem at ALL, considering I can finish a year in under half an hour if I wasn't doing write-ups :p.

I'll probably make a write up or two again form the most recent months, when I feel like it/have the time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:24:55 pm by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 05:20:33 pm »

1st Granite

At last, spring has come on the calender. With a new spring comes a new working year. The three month break we have has refreshed our desire to see out home grow and invigorated everyone to working hard than EVER. My first order of business is to dig out a road to the west and south gates to our land.

3rd Granite 

Giant eagles! Lords have mercy on my soul as they decend upon us, the wicked barbs that adorn their feet gleaming in the sunlight not unlike the way that their beady eyes gleam with a malice for all that lives. Run, run for your lives and escape the terror of the giant eagle before it kills and consumes us all!

I escaped it, none of the others could but I did. We ran, yes we ran diary. We ran as fast as our short legs could carry us, vaulting stones and logs that we didn't think were possible to be vaulted. As it's screeches filled the night air behind us we only ran faster, and juked harder, avoiding it's nasty claws and vicious bites!

Even now I can hear the others screaming in panic, but I have found a secret place. A small hole that I alone know of for I was the one who created it. the evil bird cannot find me here! Ah-ha! I am safe, even while they cry before going silent. My only dispair is that my dearest mulch may become even closer to his name than he realizes.

Oh, my dear Mulch!

3rd Granite

I must apologize for my earlier comment, Diary, it was a silly overreaction. The  giant eagle that I had nearly ran into had decided to run in the direct opposite direction that I took and managed to land exceptionally hard on the triggers for Ukat's stone traps by our gatehouse. The falling stone took the bird out of the air and crushed it flat. Indeed, by the time I had written my previous entry it was already dead.

I feel very silly right now.

Stupid bird.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:22:09 pm by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 06:11:05 pm »

The events as they happened on the fourteenth of Granite.

The first one to see them was Mulch, his trough and chisel falling to the ground in shock as his jaw gaped open widely. Abandoning the granite block he raced down the long road that connected Ulogeshud.

"Rikkir! Everyone! Come out, hurry! Pull the lever, shut the gate!" He shouted as he raced into the encampment, his breath short as his stature as the others slowly stopped at their own labors to regard him. Echo, the closest, quickly grabbed his shoulders and squeezed a bit of wine into his mouth.

Rikkir wasted no time in grabbing her lover, her intense crystal-clear eyes gazing into his with a look so hard and cold that it would have smitten him had it not been softened by worry. "Mulch..." she started, trailing off as his fearful look didn't abate, "Diggums! Get ahold of yourself! What is it? What is the matter?"

Once again he shuddered, turning his head about and pointing down the road, his great bearded face falling into his lovers stomach as tears of fear and pain fell into the loamy ground below.

"Elves"

19th Granite

Elves.

The trecherous creatures have set up at our meeting platform, proclaiming it a wonderful place to do trade. They tell me that they want to see our more ethical goods, that we may trade and improve our relations.

They. want. to. TRADE.

Who do they think they are? Their race has already destroyed our first home, what makes them think we will allow them a second opportunity, no matter how noble their initial intentions. Do these elves not know their history, the horrors that their kind has perpetrated upon ours?

I have agreed to talk to them, at least long enough to convince them to tarry in anticipation of our goods. Just long enough to beguile themselves to our intentions...

Then they will taste STEEL.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 06:27:07 pm »

10th Slate

For some strange reason, our ballista had no effect on the elves.When we fired at them their strange, nimble bodies simply bent even further than appears physically possible. Then they had the gall to chide us on poor construction techniques!

They have insulted both our ballista, and our home! We will CRUSH them by any means neccecary.

Ukat also discovered a pair of kobolds following the caravan in today, the very same ones that had escaped us those many seasons ago. She tore the one limb from limb, keeping it alive only long enough to throw it to the war dogs, who, when given a living treat proceeded to rip the miserable cretin apart while it was still living. A grisly way to end the life of a worthless virmin.

12th Slate

It was... a glorious slaughter.

I've always wanted to say that, but really it wasn't that specacular. Unless you count a cave-in a spectacular way to die.

The first elf was crushed by the falling cieling. His body sent flying through three floors before landing, hard, in our old food stockpile.

The second elf was blown away from the impact site, sporting many serious injuries, including a very large bruise the the head. He promply began running for the hills once he woke up to find us surrounding him with picks, axes, and fists.

We now have their stuff, which includes a tame deer, a cat, two cockroaches, and a cardinal in cages.

I hear cat makes good soup.

20th Slate

Mulch suprised me with a gift today, he constructed a microline statue of a falling elf, depicting our victorious battle against the trecherous elven merchants. I have asked him to put it to the north of the depot, to ward off any foolish elves who might try and invade our home yet again.

19th Felsite

The statue is finished. In celebration, Mulch has opened a new cask of Ale and asked us all to celebrate. We drink tonight to the death of our enemies!

4th Malachite

Having determined the next expansion of our settlement, I have realized that it may be some time before we have a proper dining room. Thus I have ordered the old food stores (made unusable after the elf-crusher was put into action.) be converted into a temporary dinging area. While I'm at it, I'm also taking stock of what we have. Forwarned it forarmed.

27th Sandstone

It's been many months since I have had the time or inclination to write in this diary. My post as Bookkeeper, while honerable and just, has often kept me long nights, long after the others, even my dear Mulch, has gone to bed.

Constructions continues slowly, Mulch has been churning out blocks nigh daily and setting them in the hallow husks of what will be our forge and loom. The kitchens lower level is finished, protecting our crops from any type of incliment weather, while construction on the second level is planned for a later date.

One of our dogs, the bitch, has given birth to two puppies. Watching them play makes me think of my Mulch even more. The day will come soon when we will be wed.

In other, more disturbing news, Echo came to us the other day with the paw of a creature that none of us could place. While it had long claws, clearly used for burrowing, the paw itself was shaped almost exactly like that of the dogs we keep for companionship. Additionally, it was nearly eight inches across!

I hope whatever lost this appendage, we do not run into.

1st Moonstone
Our stocks are high, and this year's winter break shall be the best ever. I so declaire it.

9th Moonstone
The last of our projects from last year have finally been halted, the very end of which being Abods insistance to finish off what little coal she had left.

Let the partying commence!

29th Moonstone

Today Frea and Pete finally tied the knot, and by that I mean literally. This morning she donned her best white dress, bathing in the brook and drying herself over the forges as Abod smelted yet another bar of casserite. Then she hunted Pete down, grabbed him, shook him, and finally hog-tied him with a length of rope that the elves had graciously left us, and finally carried him off to her room.

I heard Mulch saying that it was "quite the way to go". I wonder if he thinks I may do something similar to him. I was thinking that I would prefer to use a -Tin Chain- over a -Rope Reed Rope-

17th Opal

Today a bedraggled deer actually made it through our the wide line of stonefall traps at our gatehouse. The poor thing dragged itself into the courtyard, it's broken limbs dragging bleeing behind it as it struggled to escape from the heavy stone still half-embedded in it's back.

Ukat, who was reloading the traps at the time, quickly put the poor creature out of its misery and onto our dinner table.

10th Obsidian

Today Mulch and I announced that we are formally wed. We decided to forgoe any ceramonies, seeing as getting seven people together really doesn't require very much effort.

I didn't dare look Frea in the eyes when we made this announcement. I'm certain she would blab the reason we married at this particular point in time. We women have a second-sense about this particular thing.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2008, 02:30:23 am »

The eagle thing realy scared me there. Im guessing you saved scum to prevent it? Can we get a picture of the fort please =], im intrested in its lay out.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2008, 06:29:36 am »

Can we get a picture of the fort please =], im intrested in its lay out.

There's a few maps of it up on the archives, here ;)
Magma is overrated.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2008, 10:26:15 am »

The eagle thing realy scared me there. Im guessing you saved scum to prevent it?

No, it played out pretty much exactly as I wrote it.

I see eagle, cancel digging channel and run towards everybody.
Eagle sees me, cancels flying and runs to the west.
Eagle hits wall of stone traps.
We eat eagle meat.

I did savescum once when I first killed the elves though. The dust knocked half of our fort into a murky pool that I hadn't had the foresight to drain yet. Fortunatly, I only lost about a month in there.

Also, strangly, ballista bolts do not hurt merchants trading at a depot.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:30:10 am by Jamini »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29