Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leg less Liason  (Read 917 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Leg less Liason
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:13:13 pm »

So I thought I should report this.

O.K. So I began a new fortress, HammerTrust, awesome name. Things were going great, I had my first batch of trading goods more than enough to buy an iron anvil or steel. So the merchants arrive, and I begin trading. Though really; long story short, I notice the dwarf liason flashing a blue X, I notice he is missing two limbs, they are the lower legs, need less to say I chuckle a little as I imagine him crawling around my fortress, and going comatose every once in awhile; PLS,(Phantom limb syndrom).

So anyway I have no trouble the first time I have the meetings, and the next three. Though on the last scheduled meeting, which was on time! For some reason the liason went stark raving mad before he left the map, and the message "A liason left unhappy" was generated. I guess he got lonely. This bothered, and made me think "I'm going to kill that bastard for blaming me for his spiral into maddness next year!" Next year comes, and I have no clue what he is doing,(he just wandered anywhere) plus not to mention he didn't walk anywhere near my liason killing machine.

More time passes, and I notice he has the dehydrated, and starving messages on him, plus he seems to be stripping off his clothing, including his shoes, and socks... So than he dies, from natural causes, unfortunatly.

Needless to say, and because I am a good hearted DF player. I claim his clothing, and dump his corpse outside, than I make some bolts, and a totem out his bones.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Leg less Liason
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:18:35 pm »

So the bug is what exactly?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jintor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:59:22 pm »

There's no bug here, it's just a feature.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:35:35 pm »

Yeah, since liasons are historical, they can loose limbs. Basically, we need to wait until Toady either puts in scars and prosthetics or institutes a realistic retirement system.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:00:56 am »

I vote for robotic mega suits.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 03:42:44 pm »

How is it NOT a bug?

It makes no sense whatsoever for the civ to send out a trade liaison who can't realistically make it to his destination, nor does it make sense for him to make it there okay then go nuts, crawling around and in pain, once he arrives. Nor does it make sense that liaisons, as far as I know, are never replaced, which I'm pretty sure is due to be changed relatively shown.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:52:21 pm »

What we need here are palanquins.

Also, yeah, it does seem like the liason replacement problem fits right in with what Toady's been doing for the last few days.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:24:25 pm »

How is it NOT a bug?

It makes no sense whatsoever for the civ to send out a trade liaison who can't realistically make it to his destination, nor does it make sense for him to make it there okay then go nuts, crawling around and in pain, once he arrives. Nor does it make sense that liaisons, as far as I know, are never replaced, which I'm pretty sure is due to be changed relatively shown.

Yes, finally someone who shares the same emotions. Thank You.

It's not that I don't like the idea of a leg less/comatose liason, in fact it's pretty funny! In a DF kind of way. Nor that I hate that my liason tends to faint in the most inapropriate locations, I think he was attacked by a mountain goat once, why else would a hammerer launch one abajillion miles off of a cliff. For his amusment? I THINK NOT!

Anyway what I find bugged here, bear in mind I know this is an alpha. Is that I can't help the poor guy, why is my liason leg less,(and still wears shoes :D) PLS(Phantom limb syndrome) is funny, and why did he go crazy three tiles away from my border, than blame me? Oh well, my fortress isn't that crippled, I can still get most metals from human caravans, except now I won't know what to trade between my home mountains. :\

In due time I'm sure most of this will be solved, or untill I start a new fortress.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 06:20:53 pm »

I'd be cool to see liaisons and diplomats hobbling around on peglegs once prostheses get in. Especially if they're missing BOTH legs.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:42:56 pm »

Especially if they're missing BOTH legs.  :P

"No.  Me father was a tree."

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:29:55 am »

I imagine a liaison rolling around in a wheelchair and getting troubles as soon as he encounters stairs ;D

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:21:56 am »

I imagine a liaison rolling around in a wheelchair and getting troubles as soon as he encounters stairs ;D

Urist McLiaison cancels sanity: Interrupted by common logic.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 12:33:33 pm »

Liaisons don't climb stairs, they level the building.
I think that was liaisons. I could be wrong though.