Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [40d] WTF?!? magma woes.  (Read 2440 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] WTF?!? magma woes.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 09:27:29 am »

Well. I took my own personal knowledge of basic geology before Today's features. I seldom read those so that I can have more fun when they just land on top of me. It's like waiting for something for a long time. For example, if your mom tells you that you're going on a vacation in two years... You're gonna be agonized waiting two years.

And sorry for my antagonism.

But I still don't see this is a bug. It's what happens in real life.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 12:41:06 pm »

And sometimes, the bug reported is a feature or already known. So bug reports are fair game to other posters, and we've yet to find a way to say "you're wrong" without sounding like a dick.
So, uh, don't be so angry?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 02:18:03 pm »

we've yet to find a way to say "you're wrong" without sounding like a dick.

On the other hand, we've found plenty of ways to say "you're wrong" and sound like a dick (and sometimes have used them on purpose--usually when something is reported multiple times).

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 02:45:38 pm »

Really, the best way to handle this is to not speak authoritatively unless you provide a verifiable source backing you up. You can say how things currently are, and you can say how they are in the real world, but neither of those has any special bearing on how things should be in the game. It's Toady's game, and he can write it as he likes. Don't presume to speak for him.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 03:08:28 pm »

Really, the best way to handle this is to not speak authoritatively unless you provide a verifiable source backing you up. You can say how things currently are, and you can say how they are in the real world, but neither of those has any special bearing on how things should be in the game. It's Toady's game, and he can write it as he likes. Don't presume to speak for him.

So you're saying, Today one could make DF into an online FPS if he wants to?

Or anything of that sort...

No. Not really. He cannot just decide to do something. He is doing this for free you know. He gets donations. AND A LOT of donations. He can live of them. The reason he gets them is because he provides what we want. DF.

And DF aims to be Real-ish-tic.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 03:28:31 pm »

So in other words, you're saying that because you donate to Toady's efforts, you get to dictate the game he makes? That doesn't sound like a tenable argument to me.

This is beside the point, though - the fundamental problem is that the embark screen says that there's magma when there isn't. I imagine people would be perfectly fine with occasionally finding cooled magma pools - basically just discs of obsidian - when the map didn't say anything about magma. But when the map says there's magma, there should be magma, end of story. This has nothing to do with how magma cooling is realistic.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 06:47:20 pm »

Bravo:

The best possible answer to this thread's complaints was : linking this thread I missed in my first search.

I don't see that as rude at all.

So you don't feel like doing the search for them? Then don't post and let them wallow in ignorance.

And sometimes, the bug reported is a feature or already known. So bug reports are fair game to other posters, and we've yet to find a way to say "you're wrong" without sounding like a dick.
So, uh, don't be so angry?

Freudian Slip? Like playing "Hey Noob", don'tcha?

How to say the following without being a dick:
That is actually a feature as found here
That is a known bug, as seen here
I've misplaced the link, but I am pretty sure this is a known bug.
You might want to peek at the wiki about that, because it sounds like a feature.

No. Not really. He cannot just decide to do something. He is doing this for free you know. He gets donations. AND A LOT of donations. He can live of them. The reason he gets them is because he provides what we want. DF.

Now here I thought maybe I was just being short tempered, and that we'd end up as friends.

Wiki entry on "Donations"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 06:56:22 pm »

Hey lads, what about cool down a bit?
I mean how the hell is it possible that a simple topic in the bug reports subforum is almost turning into a flamewar?  ::)
I like this forum very much, since this behavior [flaming, trolling, insulting etc.] is not common here thankfully...at least it was not.
I hope that this won't change.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 06:59:35 pm »

Anyway, yeah, this is Bug 636 on the list.  I'm not sure what causes it at this point, since an initial check didn't yield a simple typo for me to correct, so it's probably something more involved with elevation corrections or something.

Also, the chill-outing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 07:16:33 pm »

Blah blah blah

I'm looking for the 'hide posts by this user' button... Anyone see it?

Now, to stay on-topic, I just embarked to an area directly adjecent to a magma pool, but which did not include the magma pool itself. Thereafter, used embarkanywhere to embark on an area which included part of the old site and the magma pool. This is a freezing biome, and the magma pool is exposed to the surface, and 3 levels deep. The top layer is frozen over, with 2 layers of viable magma and an obsidian cavern floor\shell surrounding everything. Only 2 fire imps (presumably the other 1-3 are encased in rock, since they only spawn in groups of 3-5 naturally, and frequently die in this fashion on cold maps) but not the neutered junk the OP is seeing.

Since Toady attests that he cannot immediately see what's causing this, the best thing we can do is provide saves if we want to see it fixed. It's a good habit to turn on the option that saves your game at embark--these saves are valuable if you love your embark site and decide you don't love your fortress (effectively lets you restart) and also for showing frame-1 conditions on your map.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 09:27:26 pm »

Blah blah blah

I'm looking for the 'hide posts by this user' button... Anyone see it?

Sadly, no.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 08:13:40 am »

I love it when I can never explain something in a way that makes everyone understand my point.

I'm not saying that just because I donated (Which I haven't. I cannot anyhow.) doesn't mean I get to tell Today one what game to make. What I'm saying is that WE donated BECAUSE it's a good game. If he suddenly ruins it, the donations stop coming, the game loses support but hopefully goes opensource and Today one does not maintain it anymore.

Liberal crime squad anyone?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 12:06:01 pm »

I love it when I can never explain something in a way that makes everyone understand my point.

You could try being less confrontational.

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 12:43:09 am »

mods, please lock this thread now, its purpose has been dealt with and has been hijacked by a flame war.

thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]