Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding [BABY:x] to animals  (Read 1451 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding [BABY:x] to animals
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:20 pm »

I hope this hasn't been asked a million times--I did a search and nothing turned up. Anyway, does anyone know if you can add the baby tag to animals, and, if so, whether it will make them carry the baby around like dwarves do? I'd like to add this to various primates like mandrills and gorrillas, as I think it would be more realistic.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Adding [BABY:x] to animals
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:37:50 pm »

The [BABY:X] tag, if I'm not mistaken, decides the age at which they grow up from baby to child.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:45:53 pm »

Yes, but as it is, animals don't go through a baby stage at all; the animal gives birth and immediately the new creature is a child. I'm wondering if adding the tag would make the animal go through a baby stage similar to that of dwarves.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:51:03 pm »

Yes, but as it is, animals don't go through a baby stage at all; the animal gives birth and immediately the new creature is a child. I'm wondering if adding the tag would make the animal go through a baby stage similar to that of dwarves.
Best way to know is to test.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:26:24 pm »

Guess so. I just wanted to see if anyone could save me playing through a year to find out. Anyway, turns out you can make animals have babies, and it gives the announcement that "stray war dog has given birth to twins/a boy/etc.", but the animal won't hold the baby, even when I added "grasp" to their paws and "equips" to the creature raws. Oh well. Does anyone have an idea how to make an animal carry its baby, or is this something that can't be changed from the raws?

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 11:14:42 pm »

[INTELLIGENT] might work, but that'd have all sorts of strange consequences.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:07:57 am »

Arise my kitten brothers, and throw off this oppression placed upon your furry heads by the dwarves. Today we will cast off the manacles placed on your tiny paws and destroy the dwarven oppressors! ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:29:08 pm »

Yes, adding BABY:X will give animals a baby stage.  Yes, baby animals do the same things baby dwarves do.  In particular, they have no sense of self-preservation vis a vis cliffs.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:58 pm »

Oh man. Well, we've already proved that cats don't always land on their feet in DF. Well, they try, it's just that they seem to have trouble maintaining proximity to their feet when you drop them 18 z-levels onto solid rock. But--HOW DO WE KNOW baby kittens have this problem too!?

Testing! HUT.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 07:27:45 pm »

I once had a pet race with a baby stage.  It wasn't pretty on maps with cliffs.  I suppose I can't speak for wild animals, but I've been under the impression they act the same as pets minus the preference for meeting areas.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 12:58:32 am »

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.