Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting Locations  (Read 1414 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Starting Locations
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:44:07 pm »

After keeping my current fort alive for 20+ years, I've finally decided to start something new as an alternate/secondary fort to keep me occupied when I don't feel like managing something quite as large.

What I'd like are suggestions for the funnest type of starting area. Tropical savanna? Marsh? Glacier? I want to know what you think is the best type of map to start playing on, and why. Bear in mind that I want to keep my FPS at a semi-reasonable level, so a 100 Z-level drop from a mountain peak to a plain is out of the question.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Locations
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:54:53 pm »

Island!

Pick out a starting area with 1 or 2 sides with ocean in it and mass Channel the other headges to landlock yourself. Not sure if it will stop caravans and immigrants arriving but they ll drown anyway.

Then if you feel its too "crowded" turn it into a dwarf version of Survivor and drown the rejected dwarf or stick him on an artifical island, lock him in a tiny cave room.

You can keep the landlocking to the ground z -level so you can use the subteranean levels and You'd have to start an underground forest if you decide to go for a smaller top Z-level to give it a more islandy look.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:22:44 pm »

Terrifying swamps can be quite fun. Especially if there's no easy way through the aquifer. An aboveground fort with constant harpy raids is my idea of a good time.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 04:56:44 pm »

Embark on the crossing of a tunnel and a chasm. Make a fort around the chasm bridge devoted to the protection of traders through the tunnel. If you can block off the top z-levels and make the tunnel the only way for civs to get in it would be quite fun as traders and enemys would be forced to come through the tunnel.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »

Nano-fortress + magma pipe.

Lets see you handle that. Replace magma pipe with chasm if you so wish.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:53:33 pm »

Glaciers are fun, assuming you can get a water supply (hint: look for aquifers and/or magma). Remember Nist Akath? Yeah.

Evil swamps are all kinds of bad news, especially when small maps get involved. In fact, small maps make wildlife more challenging everywhere, since you can't hide any more.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 05:14:25 am »

Hi!

From an aesthetic point of view, I would suggest a multi-tile sweet water island in a lake in the mountains. I always like those island lakes and having a settlement there looks really awesome on the world map. A micro sweet water island would also be interesting.

For something more intriguing, I suggest genning a world with the following:
* Make all variances except for volcanism 100 or less (=> large sub regions)
* Minimize number of uninhabitable terrain (aka oceans, glaciers,...)
* Have history hidden
* Do not cull historic figures
* Run world gen for 2000 years
* Have as many civs and caves as possible (caves should be 400-500 sized)
* Have history displayed fully in fortress mode

Once you have genned the above world, make a fortress at the merging point of at least two large, inhabitated subregions (preferably with ruins in those subregions).

The goal is to do a lot of engraving and decorating in order to see all the historic events. It can be very interesting what you get to notice. In my current fortress, of course there are depictions of the human-elven conflicts raging in the forest I have settled in, but there are also many engravings about black bears fighting with goblins and other civs. And in another fortress, I saw an interesting series of engravings about humans fighting sasquatches.

Engravings are especially good for that, since they give you a hint as to what they are about even before you look at them, so there is this "dokidoki" factor when you see a "C" or "D" or "S" engraved (at least until you notice that you have an engraver who adores donkeys (T_T) ).

Deathworks

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 02:41:09 pm »

dj's right dullard. go evil. its gonna be tough, but thats better than boring :D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 06:25:44 pm »

* Minimize number of uninhabitable terrain (aka oceans, glaciers,...)

Glaciers are inhabitable. You're thinking of mountains, I think.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:08:36 am »

Hello Untelligent!

I was thinking of civilizations in world generation. I know that players can (and often will) settle in glaciers, but I thought that none of the civilizations would actually settle in them during world generation. Or do they settle in such terrain? (I have to admit that I sometimes fail to notice such details and I do recall mountain halls around tundra areas)

The aim of my list was to define a world with a lot of large civilizations so that you get a lot of history to discover.

Deathworks

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:39 am »

dj's right dullard. go evil. its gonna be tough, but thats better than boring :D

I haven't had anything neat show up in any of my evil(mountain) forts yet. Any suggestions?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:26:09 am »

Evil swamp! Getting through the aquifer slows you down, and you have fight off Ogres, Beak Dogs, and Harpies the whole time. Bring a few military dwarves and enough raw material to build a palisade, you'll need it!

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 11:52:03 am »

Note that just evil won't neccesarily get you anything other than Glumprong and possibly the amusing Dead <tree> Sapling maturing into a Dead <tree>. =P You want a terrifying -- that is, evil and savage -- biome for maximum effect.

I personally have a thing for taigas. It's all the best aspects of tundra but comes equipped with trees so you don't have to import all your beds. Unfortunately, taigas are relatively rare, and terrifying ones with magma , flux and an aquifer even more so...
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:47:28 pm »

That's what the new worldgen parameters are for, Grelphy. I'm sure you could make a taiga-only world if you set your mind to it. :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels