Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just found a magma pipe, can't build magma shops. Why not?  (Read 1239 times)

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just found a magma pipe, can't build magma shops. Why not?
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:05:53 pm »

I've dug a four building long channel, with flooring in the spots where passable tiles will be, for my forge, smelter, glass furnace, and kiln.  Connected the channel to a channel running from the top of the pipe, it flooded as expected.  Walled off everything beyond the floors, open up build workshops... only the metalsmith's forge listed. 

Colud it be that I cannot build these since the magma pipe was not visible at surface level?

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
Re: Just found a magma pipe, can't build magma shops. Why not?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:09:47 pm »

If you dug your way to the magma pipe, you should be able to create magma buildings. Did you use any programs that revealed the magma pipe? If you did, your only hope for using magma buildings is to use a program that enables them manually, such as Tweak.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:17:03 pm »

Yeah, i caved and used DTil.  I'd ug all over bloody creation under this mountain several screens west of my entrance.  Upon using the program to reveal everything, I found the top of the pipe to be one screen west of my dining hall, under a sandy field.  *not impressed*  :D

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:08 pm »

Yeah, i caved and used DTil.  I'd ug all over bloody creation under this mountain several screens west of my entrance.  Upon using the program to reveal everything, I found the top of the pipe to be one screen west of my dining hall, under a sandy field.  *not impressed*  :D

If the magma started hidden and you used a reveal program to find it, your magma jobs are not enabled.

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:43:32 pm »

I fixed it the truly awful way.  Made note of how many screens up from my up/down stairway, went to the data/save dir and copied the region out of it, then abandoned the fortress, copied the folder back in, restarted, and "discovered a magma pipe!"  Building the friggin' magma workshops as I write this.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys!

"If you're gonna be cheap, go all out!"

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 01:14:01 pm »

The problem is not that you haven't found it.

It's just that furnaces aren't listed under workshops but under furnaces (e) so except for the magma forge which is listed under workshops ::)

that explains why you could only see the magma forge ;)

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 01:32:54 pm »

The problem is not that you haven't found it.

It's just that furnaces aren't listed under workshops but under furnaces (e) so except for the magma forge which is listed under workshops ::)

that explains why you could only see the magma forge ;)

Walled off everything beyond the floors, open up build workshops... only the metalsmith's forge listed. 

He didn't even see the magma forge.  If you reveal the magma when it's hidden without breaching the chamber first, it never triggers the magma buildings.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:02:35 pm »

Quite the contrary.  I had a map not too long ago..
I had randomly chosen a location.  There was a chasm to the north, a brook to the south, and a large hill in the middle.  I dug into it, and as I was building my workshop quarter, noticed magma buildings in the list.  Intrigued, I started exploratory mining.  Sure enough, hidden a z-level from the surface, right in the middle of my map, was a magma pipe.
Not a region map symbol or drop of revealed magma anywhere to be found, the only conclusion I can draw is contrary to everything this thread says.  Doh.
Hmm..  Anybody else think maybe you have to get below its top z-level and within its 48x48 square revealed by digging in order to trigger magma buildings?  I would have had exploratory shafts within 10 tiles of the magma at its very top level when i went to start building that workshop quarter...
That would explain everything quite nicely...
Course, Reveal causes all the triggers to be wiped, so if you reveal it, it's not gonna happen.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:59:57 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 12:39:24 pm »

I had randomly chosen a location.  There was a chasm to the north, a brook to the south, and a large hill in the middle.  I dug into it, and as I was building my workshop quarter, noticed magma buildings in the list.  Intrigued, I started exploratory mining.  Sure enough, hidden a z-level from the surface, right in the middle of my map, was a magma pipe.
Not a region map symbol or drop of revealed magma anywhere to be found, the only conclusion I can draw is contrary to everything this thread says.  Doh.
Hmm..  Anybody else think maybe you have to get below its top z-level and within its 48x48 square revealed by digging in order to trigger magma buildings?  I would have had exploratory shafts within 10 tiles of the magma at its very top level when i went to start building that workshop quarter...
Course, Reveal causes all the triggers to be wiped, so if you reveal it, it's not gonna happen.

Do you remember when you actually breached the chamber...did it give you the breach message, pause the game, etc...

If not, it's possible that a corner of the chamber 1 z-level below where you were looking was not closed off, and thus you technically could see the magma at embark.

If you can't see it during embark, your jobs are disabled until you get the message.  The magma enabling tools all have to inject the message into the game to enable them after a reveal, since none of the tool makers and memory explorers seem to have found a flag that magically turns on magma buildings.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:56:15 pm »

My guess is that the above ground floor immediately over the magma pipe was obsidian, and it was specifically the obsidian that is generated around magma features.  Since this obsidian was visible, the game acted like you had discovered the magma pipe the moment you embarked.  But since you hadn't actually reached the "inner" part of the magma pipe, you couldn't yet see the inner parts of it in all its detail.

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 01:02:34 pm »

Generally, I prefer an obvious volcano near a brook.  Recently, however, I started a site at a volcano I didn't realize was butted up against LOTS of grass.  My wagon was on that grass, so when a fire imp popped up and my hunter went after it... the imp's fire breath ignited the grass.  Four of my starting guys died in the fire, trying to haul everything out of the wagon.  Lost enough of my food as well that I abandoned that one pretty quickly.  Friggin' imps....