Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 248410 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2009, 01:49:19 am »

I have a game in which enough Elves were kidnapped by a Goblin Civ that they became the majority population, and for whatever reasons the Goblins were mostly all killed off over the years. All that was left was a huge population of demon-worshiping child-kidnapping cannibal Elves, with evil surnames, metal equipment, and Elven stealth, whose demonic temple was led by a Human Warrior-Priestess who killed and ate her own biological mother at the age of 18.

I am terrified for the day that they Siege.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2009, 06:31:08 am »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2009, 09:30:42 am »

Thank you for stealing another two hours of my life.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2009, 08:16:37 pm »

I learned that life, in a word, is suicide.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2009, 04:02:14 am »

someone had a thread just recently about how their king arrived and due to a complex history of invasions, was an elf. yet they started the game at war with a different elf civ who started attacking them right off the bat.

unrelated to civs and such, ive been filling a 30z level dam for 2 ingame years now, and as the water falls in it seems to create little waves that run across the surface, reflect of one wall, then come back. as i have the show water depth thing turned on, this is showing up as little 1/7 squares travelling back and forth, or if the top z level is nearly full, i get squares of 6/7 in an otherwise 7/7 layer moving.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 25, 2009, 02:10:19 am »

if you check the levels in Magma Pipes, this happens every timme you make any disturbance at all, bouncing back and forth in strange rippley patterns.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 25, 2009, 08:52:40 am »

Elves that were captured by goblins tend to end up as leaders of their siege groups... while wearing armor and lots of elf bone earrings and the such.
Despite there being 5 of the bastards they had some legendary skill.... one was crushed by a bridge, another by a flying rock catapulted, the others were shot down by bolts before my speardwarfs could get to them.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 25, 2009, 01:27:49 pm »

the one and only time i got a legendary elf leading a siege he ripped me to bits. it was incredible. he didnt even have legendary in any weapon skill that i could see, he was just a "recruit". i ended up catching him and setting him loose in my combat pit. he dodged like 5 champions on his way out of the pit, severely injuring several of them, before running at utterly insane speed through my entire very large, complex fort, causing mayhem along the way. he eventually ran into the little line of cage traps that got him the first time near the entrance. i think i ended up dropping him from my mega tower of doom still inside his cage, i really didnt want to let him out again, even disarmed.

elves + super agility + iron armor/weapons = craziness. and i love the interesting things that world gen kidnapping/enslaving/invading can throw up.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 25, 2009, 01:55:40 pm »

I was thanking Armok none of them had a bow. Now to wait some time for another adamantine colossus thief (Didn't do that on purpose... but i did take out sever on breaks) and then melt the statues they drop. The problem is they don't put up a fight.... at all... and the orc mod gave me a bunch of orcs that die as soon as they get here... but you might as well if you were wearing heavy armor in middle of the dessert.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 25, 2009, 07:09:44 pm »

the one and only time i got a legendary elf leading a siege he ripped me to bits. it was incredible. he didnt even have legendary in any weapon skill that i could see, he was just a "recruit". i ended up catching him and setting him loose in my combat pit. he dodged like 5 champions on his way out of the pit, severely injuring several of them, before running at utterly insane speed through my entire very large, complex fort, causing mayhem along the way. he eventually ran into the little line of cage traps that got him the first time near the entrance. i think i ended up dropping him from my mega tower of doom still inside his cage, i really didnt want to let him out again, even disarmed.

elves + super agility + iron armor/weapons = craziness. and i love the interesting things that world gen kidnapping/enslaving/invading can throw up.
Monty Python's "Sir Lancelot" anyone? ;D
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 25, 2009, 11:13:49 pm »

i wish i had an awsome world like that....dont bother giving me the sed it wont work

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »

Found out that dwarves can have grudges against each other....i think my crafter hates my farmer because the close by feild woke him up. they keep saying they were forced to talk to annoying people lol

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2009, 03:17:55 pm »

Found out that dwarves can have grudges against each other....i think my crafter hates my farmer because the close by feild woke him up. they keep saying they were forced to talk to annoying people lol

Also empathetic dwarfs feel remorse for losing known grudges! Which was something Toady_One told me!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 31, 2009, 01:43:47 am »

Alright, I've got one. So, we all know fire imps on grassy maps can cause wildfires, right? One of these caught me off guard my first spring at a new site and lit all my food barrels on fire. The barrels burn long after the grass is gone, and just when I start to wonder if they're ever going to stop, it starts to rain. They go out almost instantly.
I guess it's kind of stupid to be impressed by rain putting out fires but...still. I thought it was cool.

EDIT: Not only do they go out, they rot. hurrah.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 03, 2009, 01:52:51 pm »

That is what is awesome about DF, things really happen. Also see dead saplings growing into dead trees in evil/haunted  areas (though I think I read that was removed...)
Gives you the feeling of 'whoa, it can actually do that?'. It's so different from so many other games when there is a waisthigh fence the hero can't jump over, or even climb. Or wooden doors you can't open without keys (that are hidden two levels onward, past three bosses), even though the hero has a rocketlauncher.

Unless you are on fire in adventure mode and jump in a pond, recieving steamy death.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95