Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Construction! BIG!  (Read 4040 times)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Re: Construction! BIG!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 10:23:11 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2977-squashshoot

Uber Temple Of Water.

It was supposed to be the Uber Temple Of Fire, but I only had magma pool, so no magmafalls...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 12:08:35 am »

It's still really freaking awesome.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 04:35:40 am »

You don't need bauxite in screw pumps, right?
I just have ones with iron corkscrews and they seem to work (although maybeyou need bauxite in a stacked design? Dunno)

I think you only need it if the pump is going to be completely immersed in the magma. That being said, I figured I'd play it safe at the time, because I didn't want to have to drain and reconstruct my entire dragon if something went wrong.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2008, 05:13:56 am »

You need bauxite only for mechanisms. As in floodgates. Anything else, including pump components and floodgates themselves can be made of iron or steel.
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:58 am »

Currently working on a 21 z-level tall stone "tree." The body/bark is made of schist and the leaves will be a combination of garnierite and olivine.

I'm literally a hundred miles away from my home PC now, so no chance of pics for a few days.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 11:40:05 am »

My current fortress was supposed to be a glorious, dignified castle. Then I realized that my only export has been prepared food and that my trade depot is positioned like a drive-thru. So now I'm considering building a giant logo of some sort and putting a smiley face in different colors of stone on my roof.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2008, 07:38:15 pm »

You need bauxite only for mechanisms. As in floodgates. Anything else, including pump components and floodgates themselves can be made of iron or steel.

Also platinum, if you want to go all out with your expenses.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2008, 08:05:31 pm »

My current fortress was supposed to be a glorious, dignified castle. Then I realized that my only export has been prepared food and that my trade depot is positioned like a drive-thru. So now I'm considering building a giant logo of some sort and putting a smiley face in different colors of stone on my roof.
Harold and Kumar Go To Dwarf Fortress?

What else can I do with a dam and its resevoir?  Any suggestions?
I could try building Dwarven Rapture, I suppose; build a big box, build my glass paradise inside, and then fill the box with water.
Though, that would mean that leaky pipes might actually make dwarves happy...

Plus, the dank, damp tunnels of the fort would make for a cool and atmospheric dungeon, perhaps probably with water traps.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2008, 08:38:45 pm »

Dwarven Rapture has been on my build list for a while.  I've simply run into one problem after another when attempting to build it.

My most impressive construction was back in 38c, where I built a walled city entirely out of green glass.  I only got about half finished before 39 came out (80% of my non-nobles were still sleeping in the barracks/tombs), but I did make a two-story 10x10 stockpile building, a 15-story tower (4 rooms per floor, each gets 2 floors for their rooms) for nobles and legendaries, and an obsidian factory consisting of three separate buildings: The large magma chamber/water tank/overseer's office, the pump tower, and the perpetual motion power plant.

Plus a two-story (Plus 2 basements for stockpiles and aquifer access) restaurant and bar, and an enclosed room for the 12 glass furnaces running 24/7, but I don't usually count those because I didn't finish the roof on either.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 08:51:34 pm »

Probably my uberfort. I dug out a moat and added waterfalls to the entrance/exit bridges. Too bad lag and upgrades killed it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 12:34:33 am »

how much work went into the Uber Temple of Water?

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 02:49:36 am »

About 14 Dwarf*years. (4 dwarves*3.5 years)
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2008, 12:24:50 pm »

Some 3Dwarf screenshots from my current fort:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 06:17:21 pm »

I planned for a rather large in door plumbing system in my fort, complete with water wheels, water falls, and the ability to uhhh..... "clean" the rooms of nobles while they sleep.

The thing spanned probably 15 Z levels and everything was done in advance so any digging I did around the cannels was completed BEFORE they were filled with water to avoid those god damn "DAMP STONEZ!?!" messages.

The whole thing was supposed to be emptied by a set of pumps powered by a single water mill that was on the layer just above the plumbing. This system was connected by an ultra complicated series of axles and gears.

Just before I was ready to test it I decided to build two HUGE overflow cannels, just in case.

I think the problem problem with the system was either #1, there was too much of a load on the wheel so it didn't turn at all, or #2 the wheel was too close to the edge of the map so no water was flowing. Either way the cannel filled up almost completely before I cut off the water sources and opened the overflow channels. A while later all the water evaporated and I decided to try it again.

This time I put the water mill on the brooke to power the pumps. That of course didn't work because brookes are special tiles. Okay, fine, I'll channel some out and put it here.

Saddly the square I channeled out was the wall between the brooke and the channel, which was now rapidly back filling. I locked the area down and begain figuring out how to fix my failure. Then the messages started poping up "Urist can not reach jobsite: Dangerous terrian.

I looked back at my glorious project to see water falling down the holes I'd made for the axles.

PANIC! I walled off the entire wing of my fortress to stop the flood just in time. Glad thats over!

I remembered the water falls and the grates that covered the open air that led directly to my pipes just after water started shooting up from the ground. More panic, more constructions, more walled off fortress.

With half my fortress now flooded I set about finding a way to cut off the rivers flow. I set up some pumps and water mills and tried to make a couple of channels to pump water out of my pipes, into a resivor, and then back into the river. I was in a hurry to hook everything up so I didn't connect any gears to switches.

Long story short, by the time I abandoned, half of the underground and half of the surface were completely flooded.

Wait, was this supposed to be a thread about projects that succeeded?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 12:01:48 am »

The new interface for designating lots of walls at once has really helped a lot.

My current fort straddles a brook that etches a path between two mountain peaks.  I was getting antsy about finishing the walls in time before goblins started showing up, so it doesn't quite go all the way up... yet.  Two floors above the brook I have a bridge that carries lava across; my forges are built astride that bridge.  And, just for good measure, my zoo and statue garden -- why not have everyone hang around right next to to the magmaduct?  When my vision is done, I'll 3dwarf it to see if it's interesting to look at.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4