Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bug 856: "containers with objects in them are worth less than empty containers"  (Read 1351 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is marked as doesn't-reproduce.  But every bag of seeds I see is worth 40 when trading (and it's always in a undyed, standard-quality cloth bag), whereas an empty cloth bag is worth 60 unless it's dyed cloth or of good quality.  I don't see this for dyes and flour as was reported, and it's not general for all containers -- just the bags of seeds that the dwarves, humans, or elves bring me.

bretrags

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Are you sure the seeds are in cloth containers?

A no modifier cat leather bag (for instance) is only worth 20 monies.
So a no modifier cat leather bag with 20 seeds would be worth 40 monies, assuming 1 money per seed.

I believe this works with all leathers that you can get on embark for 5 points/monies per piece, but I can only verify cat leather.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you sure the seeds are in cloth containers?

Yes.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the bags vary based on what hide/cloth they are made out of
usually giant cave spider silk is the most common that you'll see(200 for a no quality bag).

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do all the modifiers show up in a bag? I once had a weaver go fey, so had a lot of masterpiece cloth, but I didn't see that in the description of the finished bags (i could be wrong here).

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I said:
it's always in a undyed, standard-quality cloth bag
I meant that I checked to make sure.  I'm embarrassed about the typo in that phrase, but it's accurate.

An undyed, standard-quality cloth bag is worth 60 whether you make it or the caravan brings it.  An undyed, standard-quality cloth bag with 20 seeds in it is worth 40 when the caravan brings it (I haven't actually tried selling one, only buying).  This is bug 856.

If, as Skizelo suggests, the issue is that it's actually made from better than standard-quality cloth, then that would be a new bug, because the price should have increased, not decreased.

It so happens that every bag of seeds appears to be in an undyed, standard-quality cloth bag.  Even if the occasional bag of seeds was a well-dyed, masterwork GCS silk bag finely-decorated with bands of aluminium, my point would still stand.  I'm not sure what happens when you stuff seeds into an expensive bag, all I know is the anomaly with the bags the caravan brings.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Have you got a save for this?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something I hadn't noticed before: a pig tail bag you buy or make costs 60.  But a bag full of seeds, once emptied becomes a pig tail bag worth 20.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Okay, I'll reopen the report and link it to the save.  Thanks.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!